Hot Rod Forum banner

Street Race Archives

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Super Streeter 
#1 ·
I thought this would be a good place for everyone to tell their favorite street race story. Mine is as follows.
A long, long time ago, in a land far away, when I still had hair, I proudly owned my very own 70 Cuda'. I spent all winter saving my money, working over a 440 , complete with hemi-grind purpleshaft, CH4B Intake, 850 Dbl Pumper, Headers, 3500 Stall, 727 with a Cheetah reverse manual valve body and a set of 4.56s. This car was rough, it was rusty, and had the LOUDEST set of old burnt out glass packs you ever heard, and it would haul *** . A set of hard N-50 15 Remingtons did their best to keep from smoking, but to no avail. Springtime was near, and I was itching to go race. As I drove one weekend, I noticed the ol 440 seemed to be running out of poop, and then BLAM!!!!! My engine had expired! Crap! The single bolt cam bolt had stretched and broken, allowing a valve to kiss a piston, causing the piston to shatter into many, tiny pieces. My fine engine was scrap. My cousin helped me tow it to his house, and there it sat for a month.
It was mid July when we were partying at my cuzz's house when it happened, Javelin Jay, the local AMC freak had his 390 AMX going, and was making fun of my ol Cuda. I really wished my 440 hadn't crapped out, because I knew I could take ol Javelin Jay, he had no hood, a crossram and a four speed, and a fancy paint job. We had to do something. We did.
We bought the neighbors 66 Coronet for 25 bucks, it had a polysphere 318, my cousin and I split the price, 12.50 each. This car was crap, but it did run, and it had good sheetmetal. We drove it to Gore's Junkyard and asked if he had any good bigblock Mopars he would trade the whole car for, he said he would trade it for the 383 in an old station wagon out back. This was no ordinary wagon, this was a 1970 Dodge sport wagon, complete with hood bulges, and a 383 Mag. We pulled the engine in 20 minutes, and hauled her off to the old tree we pulled engines with. We started changing it out at Noon, and had it ready to start at 9:00 PM. My cousin Steven manned the starter, and cranked away, it wouldn't fire, we kept trying, finally the old motor cranked up, and smoked like hell. Steven wound it up so tight, it floated the valves. We were in business.
How did it run? like a striped-assed ape, it wasn't as brutally powerful as the 440, but she was quicker, because it would hook, and the 440 wouldn't.
It was time for a showdown, time to find Javelin Jay. We cruised into Lincoln Center on a Saturday Night, there he was , with a crowd of people around him, everyone admiring the fancy paint his mommy had paid for. We rolled the Cuda past them, and he yelled to take that piece of crap home, that's when I lit them up, and rolled through Lincoln center sideways, with the hides boiling. Rust flew from my crapped out exhaust onto the crowd. Javelin Jay was incensed with anger, and he bragged that he was going to blow my doors off. The race was on!
We rolled out quietly outside of town on Tellman Rd. Jay does a big burn out, and it looks impressive, my Cuda drips oil from the leaky valve covers onto the headers and stinks to high heaven. Jeff, my other cousin, flags the race, Jay revs his motor, he dumps the clutch, and I just mash it to the floor, we jump him 2 cars immediately, and begin to pull away, when I go to shift to second, I miss second gear! The slapstick wasn't meant to be shifted backwards, and it's easy to miss a gear, we go directly into drive, and Jay pulls even, it's a dead heat. We were ahead slightly, but Jay argues about where the end of the quarter was, so we go again, this time, the old 383 twists clean to 6200 RPM, I shift to second, and the tires scream as I'm sucked back into my ratty highback bucket seat, exhaust fills the ****pit, we're flying now--not sure how fast, the gear change screwed up the speedo, it shows 130 or something, and I haven't even shifted to drive, we go into drive, and Old Javelin Jay is a small object in my rear view mirror. Yessssss, dusted by a 25.00 engine. The 383 lasted 2 more weeks before we blew it up, but what fun.

See less See more
#2 ·
nice story.
........heres mine. Once this ugly *** ricer came up to me reving his engine. So I ripped him a new one. I have a 66 mustang with a 302, roller cam, aluminum heads, roller rockers, headers, 2400rpm converter, 3.70 gears. Good for about 13 flat.

#3 ·
I'm 19 and have a 84 Monte carlo non SS that has seen more street racing action than any car in a 50mile radius of my town. It runs High High 11's on the motor sucking down pumpgas through the exhaust and now there is another 175hp plate system. I once raced a guy in a 72 Chevelle that he thought was faster than it was, about 60 people came out to watch the race. I boiled the radials in first and second gear and then pulled hard on his maybe 14 second car I was in the suicide lane at 5800rpm in third gear going about 110mph and was far enough ahead that I decided to pull back into the normal right hand lane when I did I heard a loud woooooshing noise and my friend and I looked up and what did we see but my driver's side T-top sailing through the air. The t-top hit the chevelles windshield but only minorly cracked it and then proceeded to glance down the left side of his car ruining the quarter panel. The chevelle guy wasn't mad though because the car was going to his wife the next weekend in a divorce settlement. For the next month this guy went around town saying how I only got him buy a car length, how is this possible? If he was a car length behind me at 110mph the t-top wouldn't have hit his car, News to that guy more like 20 car lengths. He was mad and thought I was bragging so he brought out his other hot rod a 69 camaro with a merlin headed 396. I dusted him again and he swore i had nitrous because my reverse lights came on, the only reason they did was because my old column shift would fall and turn them on. If he only knew how bad I'd beat him now. I'm only 19 but have realized that street racing is bad, very bad and will never do it again, hell I don't even have a cage in my car yet!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 ·
well, gee, i don't really know how i can follow mr. chris here, but i always rode shotgun in my h.s. bud's 66 malibu 396 and we had a butt load of great races vs. 440 chargers etc, one of the wierdest was being beat by a little Dart w/a great 273 engine. only time we ever lost. mostly the gathering at the "cattle crossing" on pyramid lake hwy back in the early 70's before the cops kept buggin us after someone got killed sideswiped putting gas into his car. tons of racing, the excitment of breaking the law, etc etc. love it. raced a 56 gmc pick up against a friends 59 impala and he stuck it in "R" during a rolling start. had to laugh my *** off at that one. raced my 327 MG against i think a camaro twice and got holeshots everytime before he murdered me. bla bla bla.

#5 ·
Al long time ago I ran an 82 camaro on the street with a very mild 400 smallblock{actually a low mileage junkyard shortblock with a top end bolted on it and some nitrous},and it was dressed to look like a stock berlinetta with a 305,and even had a stock 9 bolt rear with 3.27 gears.The car ran 12.80's on motor and 12.0's on a 125 shot.A freind of mine who I raced with had a daily driver 82 camaro with a 2.8 and a stick,and we had both made fistfulls of cash with my car at the street races.One night we ran a $20 race for $hits and giggles,and I spotted him out 150 feet before the finish line,and I was to leave off of his brake lights{I had to run the entire 1/4 to his 150 feet!},I had to run raw horsepower.I opened my hatch and he turned the bottle off and we set up the cars.I turned it loose when he rolled and I ran thru about 20 feet behind him at the finish line.I knew he had ben rolling with his foot on the brake,but I didnt want to make an issue of it,so I ran my car all the way to the end of the strip and opened the hatch and turned the bottle on,while he had already made the first U-turn and was on his way back to the starting line.I went back to the line and told him he rolled on the start and that I would do it again for another $20.He took the bait and we lined back up.I drove around him in the last 50 feet of the race like his engine stalled out.He claimed I rode by so hard that his car seemed to rock over from the wind.I rode all the way to the end again and turned off the bottle and came back to the line.He told me I shot it and he wanted to see the bottle.I opened the hatch and he handed over the 20 bucks.I eventually leveled with him and we both laughed about it.

#6 ·
Here is another one involving the same guy.His street race car was one of my creations,and after he puked his good motor,I helped him out by loaning him a mild 355 that I had as a backup motor for my car just until we got his good mill back in shape.I dropped this 13 second motor in his car and we added a cheater plate to it and took the car to the street races on Friday night.We were there parked next to a few guys who dont really like the crew from my shop,and my friend was really running his mouth a little bit and I would have let him hang himself,but these wiseguys had to chime in that the only car we had that ran was my car and that all the guys from my shop should stop buying my old junk because if it didnt make my car fast it wasnt going to make them fast either,but my car,my current 73 Firebird,was way faster then all thier"street" cars,so they were talking out their a$$es.I told them that the Malibu was running in the 10's but that one of the slicks had a leak and we had the street tires on it tonight so were had nothing for them but that we could lock up something for tommorrow night if they would like.They took the bait on that one and my freind looked at me and said "I hope you are putting up the money".I told him that we were about to drop the 11 second smallblock and it's convertor from my Firebird into his car,and we were going to bolt his nitrous plate to it.By 730 am saturday my motor and covertor were in the back of my pickup truck and on the way to this guys job at a towing company where he stored his car.We had the engine in and running by 4:30 that after noon and by 7pm,we had my new slicks on the car and all the nitrous sorted out.We put 2 test passes on the car at the local spot and then went to wait for the call from these guys.They told us to be at the spot at 10 pm,and we were there by 9:30 waiting for them.We put one more test pass on the car while we waited and one of thier spies saw us and ran back to them to tell them something was up and that the Malibu was not like it was yesterday.Well as luck would have it,a local Police officer who is related to one of the guys from our rival's shop rolls up on us and starts breaking our ball$.Next thing you know he is calling for a tow truck to impound the car and the owner of the car is telling the cop he has to go and answer a call for an impound with the tow truck that we used to tow the car down with.We all knew that my friend was on police rotation for impounds that night and he towed the car down there with the impound truck.The cop got even more pissed off and called for a different tow company.We watched as they hauled our stuff off to a night at the pound.We had the car back the next day,but we had to get to the bottom of our issue with these chicken$hit loudmouths.We eventually got a solid confirmation that it was them who ratted us out and had the cop impound our car.Luckily for us the cop never showed up for court so all the charges and tickets were dropped including the Emergency police response team charges and fire depatment fines for the little antic involing our nitrous bottle.It seems that when our rival ratted us out,he made it clear we had an explosive nitrous bottle in the trunk,so the cop called the emergency services unit and fire department who showed up and hosed the trunk of the malibu out with about 1,000 gallons of water and blasted the rear seat right out of the car and flooded the interior.The fire depatment guys kept saying they didnt need to do it but the cop told them they had to do it or that the car might explode,so they followed his orders.Oh well,these guys will all get theirs.We eventually made a pile of cash with that car too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.