Hot Rod Forum banner

Street Rod Front End Rebuild

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Larry Day 
#1 ·
I am rebuilding the front end of my 40 Ford street rod using Mustang 11 components. I am having trouble getting the bushings into the stock Mustang 11 upper and lower control arms. I have a 40 ton press, but the control arms seems like they want to collapse when I put pressure on the bushings to press them into their holes on the control arms. I applied some lube to the control arm holes, and using some blocks and sockets to keep pressure on the bushing and off the control arms.

Can some one offer some help?

#2 ·
There is a set of spreaders that you can buy for that job, or you can make them. I usually take a piece of 2" tube , slice a slot out of it lengthwise so it will slip over the bushing bar and bridge between the 2 sides of the control arm. Using a piece of tube, make a pair of spreaders to go between and support the "U" shaped ends that the bushings fit into and and those bushings should slip right in.

The idea is to keep the ends of the a arm from twisting and cocking when you put pressure on it. When it twists, the bushing won't go straight in.

I have some good pics of the tool and setup in a manual I have at the shop, if no one else comes up with anything I'll scan a page for you. :thumbup:

Or you can go rent or buy one of these:

Hope this helps.
Mikey

#3 ·
Like Mike said, use some tubing to make some spacers, with provisions to allow you to remove the spacers once the bushings are in.

The funny thing that I realized after I finished pressing my own bushings recently, is that the spacers took far longer to make than it took to actually press the bushings in. It is very important that the arms not twist or collapse at all; a bushing that isn't pressed in straight can wreak havoc on your control arms. I learned the hard way :(

#4 ·
Pic from the 1970 ford manual, tool for the MII is different, but the idea is the same

Homemade tool set. This is actually for 2 different sizes and types of upper control arms. Fits some lowers too. Made from muffler tube and scraps from the recycling yard.

The little pieces of round tube welded to plates are for the table on your press, note the notch to clear the webbing on the control arm. Set your control arm end in this to keep it from jumping around.

Small lengths of heavy wall tubing are the "pushers: to go between the press stub and bushing.

The U shaped things are for keeping the sides of the a arm from collapsing. those pictured are for a chevy.

The pics get bigger if you go to my gallery and click the pictures. I loaded them on large. :thumbup:

Sorry I don't have a pic of it all set up in the press.

Hope this helps,
mikey

#5 ·
Thank you

Mickey.... Thanks for the promp reply. With the help of your pictures and discription I made almost every thing you have in the photo. I will finish tomorrow and then press in the bushings. Again, thanks

Acruden...Thanks for the tip on keeping the bushings straight as I press them in. I will go slow and keep checking,

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.