Street Rod Paint - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

People have a hard time relating to the cost of a quality paint job with the likes of MAACO and Earl Scheib around. Most of the collision shops around here will get someplace north of $4000 for a complete repaint, without striping and any repairs, just external paint. That is after all trim is removed, no special colors and a cheaper clearcoat. At that, many collision shops don't want to mess with them because of the time involved.

When you start to talk about a Street Rod job, on a frame-off vehicle, with floors and all jambs, rust and dent repairs, you are adding a whole lot of additional work and cost.

I do not do frame-off jobs. The jobs I do usually have all of the trim removed when I get them, and the owner is responsible for it's installation after I am done, and I do not guarantee a "Show Finish", but don't tell the judges at the shows. LOL The projects usually take 6-8 months, working nights and weekends. I could only imagine how long it would take if I was doing frame-offs.

Aaron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

As a follow up, I forgot to think about the hidden issues of old steel. While most old steel is just that, old. We tend to forget just how bad the structure really is. These days, a GOOD steel car, or Barn Find is rough. What we now call good condition, 15-20 years ago was considered very rough. As these great old cars get older and older, there condition get worse, so when we find one that at least still resembles it's original shape, we think of it as in good shape. For everything you see, there are 4-5 things under that rough spot that you didn't see and will cost money and time to fix. I was very, very lucky with my '33, it has been housed for that last 37 years in a barn. So while not out in the elements, it was not exactly stored with care.
On this car I had to completely remove the flooring and replace it with new sheet metal. The bottom of both doors had to be trimmed off and repaired. The quarter panel on both sides were repaired. The inside bottom half's of the doors also needed to be repaired. Other then a few little spots, that was really the extent of the damage....not that bad in terms of a 75 year old car. Amazingly the frame was what I would consider perfect. We did replace the firewall with an aftermarket one, but that change was made because of the engine combination we choose, not because of rust damage. Also, while the front and rear fenders were repairable, I choose to replace them also with new steel, same goes for the tank cover and radiator pan. All these parts cost money, and while you may save by buying new steel instead of repairing old stuff, it still requires fitting, finishing and all that lies between.
I am not a professional body man, I am just a fellow Rodder, that has to do there own work or I could never afford to finish my car in the fashion I envision. I have invested a ton of money in that vision, and don't regret a penny of it. I actually enjoy the build part many times more then the finish or drive portion. I actually feel depressed or at-least let down when the project comes to a close. It has always been this way, on every project. While I don't think this is exactly proper or normal, it is me. I enjoy the challenge and build, while I'm not sure how nice this hobby would be if it turned profession, I have nothing but the UT-most respect for those in the trade that do make it there living. I hope this post, both my response and those made by others here have somehow opened your eyes and helped you see the immense time and therefore money that it takes to build these great old cars. Good Luck.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I absolutely HATE paint and bodywork
Still not finished ... and
This is almost 2 thousand dollars worth of materials ... on this one coupe.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 AM
street rods forever

Last photo:

Lookin real good Deuce..
I gotta agree I hate body work too,but when you see the outcome ,makes it all worthwhile.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 AM
street rods forever

Last photo:

Lookin real good Deuce..
I gotta agree I hate body work too,but when you see the outcome ,makes it all worthwhile.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:23 AM
street rods forever

Last photo:

Lookin real good Deuce..
I gotta agree with you.I hate body work too,but when you see the outcome ,makes it all worthwhile.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 AM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last journal entry: C4 IRS
Last photo:

She is looking real nice Deuce. But you know that already....right?

That one is for your wife? Tell her I said she was a real lucky gal (for her hubby to spend all of that time on such a car)...or maybe your a real lucky guy (to have a wife that you know will take car of it).

Really Deuce....very nice car......as all of your projects are. And I DONT kiss butt for anyone!

Dave G

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.