Street Rod and Rat Rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2005, 10:21 AM
1931 Ford 5 window

Last journal entry: Door Panels
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Street Rod and Rat Rod

OK,
I have read many articles on this and no one explains the differences of a street or rat rod. Is a Rat rod one the user builds or what?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2005, 10:50 AM

This is my definition on a "rat rod" they are usually built with period correct parts, no billet or any mail order crate engines that you see on "street rods"
everything is old-school built as they would've been in the early/late 50's. They tend to look ratty or unfinished, now the whole "rat rod" movement has got popular and you have builders going overbored in my opinion with the simulated surface rust and randomly shot patches of primer to make the car look unfinished!.....that's the best I could do anyways
Old 11-24-2005, 11:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The previous definition is pretty much correct. Unfortunately some of the "rat rod" builders go too far in their "period correctness" and sacrifice safety.

Rat Rods are by no means the only home built cars. The vast majority of street rods are home built. Only the high dollar cars come out of someone's shop and you can easily tell them from the others since 99.9% are trailered from place to place and the only driving they see is from the trailer to the parking spot at a show.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

There is a diffrence in period correct hotrods and rat rods, some people will put nice crate engines in a heap, put a peice of plexiglass in the roof and call it period correct, when really nothing is correct to the period, but if it was an old Nailhead hooked to a cadillac 3spd w/ really long shifter and the roof left open, then it could be period correct. The '28 Model A 2dr sedan done up as a Period correct hotrod on Monster Garage is an excelent example of a rat rod, cause it had a BBC crate engine, only thing period correct about that setup was it had a magneto ign system.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Last photo:

Some of the examples that I have seen of "rat rods" are just an excuse to do crappy work IMO.

Vince
Old 11-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

QUOTE:
Some of the examples that I have seen of "rat rods" are just an excuse to do crappy work IMO.

Vince

AMEN to that!
this past summer i came across 2 examples of this. i wouldnt go for a ride in either one!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 06:59 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

Street Rod and Rat Rod

I dont think all of them were an excuse to do crappy work. If you go back to when hotrods really started then you will see that this is how it all started to begin with. They just put together whatever they had to work with, and they drove them and enjoyed them. They didnt care what they looked like, as this was a real hotrod. Bring back the good old days, and maybe people would enjoy life a bit more. If your worried about being safe then build it as safe as you can, but dont worry about the looks, get out there and enjoy life, you only live once.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Last photo:

I do not disagree with the above statement, but lately at rod shows and in some of the leading street rod publications there is a trend to glorify these cars. At the Goodguys meet at the Texas Motor Speedway last month I was amazed at the amount of attention a 32 rat rod with an Olds engine was drawing. At the same time an absolutely drop dead gorgeous 34 3 window right next to it was just about totally ignored. The steel 34 probably took untold 100's of hours to bring back from virtually the grave, but the gawker's were obsessed with the rat rod....go figure.

Vince
Old 11-24-2005, 08:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
..... but the gawker's were obsessed with the rat rod....go figure.

Vince

That's cause its a FAD. Remember lace painting was big in the late 60's and early 70's....... same thing. This too shall pass.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:07 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

here read this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_rod

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 11-25-2005, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

I don't know about you guys but for me seeing a car built by hand with not many over the counter parts just plain old home brew ingenuity and cleverness throughout with good detail and quality gets my attention and respect. While the glass bodied bought framed and suspension billet kit cars do the exact opposite for me. Not saying a glass body car that's purchased as a package or kit isn't a heck of a lot of work to build it just doesn't get as much respect from me as the car that's built with a lot of ingenuity and owner designed features. I've seen some ratrods that I definitely wouldn't drive/look like a bucket of rust and bolts and others that were done right and safe with major period correct features and old American ingenuity. The billet junk sucks IMO, never liked the look. Everyone has their own opinion.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

I agree with all the above.
This does not make it right or wrong as to each their own.

I have noticed in the past posting of flat black or rat rods do not get many answers or hits.
If your a streetrod builder or a restorer the rat rod thing is just total opposite of what we do.
Kinda like putting football players with a group of soprano's
and hoping they Will bond. (Don't think so!)

Jon should have a separate thread for rat rods and since there seems to be
a number of them on here going by the old John Deere thread it may be a hit.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:14 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

as a painter i've never been to crazy about anything not finished. but we each have the right to build whatever we want. my only problem with the retrod craze is the guys putting down nice rides and saying they're not true hotrods. when did this change ? up until a few years ago they were the cream of the crop. in all my years messing with cars i've never met any rodder that would turn down some chrome or killer paint. chrome may not get ya home...but you'll look cool setting there
Old 11-25-2005, 08:06 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

HOTRODDING began in the salt flats of Nevada?? or Vegas

(Its morning and the gears turn slow)

so like "alternative rock" " punk rock" and ""today's country scene" it owes respect to its elder

same with "hot rodding" " bone stockers" ," rat rods", "dragsters" " NASCAR " from the "hell yea I drove it here" to the "super nice ..too nice to drive for fear of a idiot on a cell phone killing your one of a kind priceless ride"
If someone is making the effort to fix up their ride , never mind the class of ride or the educational or experience level
then they are a HOTRODDER .
anyone who bashes someone else's ride because they don't like it then they are the ones loosing out on the vast total experience

finally the booger eating moron who slaps some duct tape and plumbing strap and bailing wire and "i'll worry bout it when it falls off" is as stupid as drunk driving

"who cares if the wheel fly s off and goes through someones windshield @ 100 MPH as long as I don't get hurt....live free ,go fast, die young ,leave a good looking corpse...?

those people some ignorant
most too stupid to care ..

and for some reason god protects the fools

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 11-25-2005, 08:26 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

personal, id say that you can build a ratrod thats very high quality,

the bodywork can be flawless, but its done in primer,

or you can have a very safe 4 ling rear suspension, but its not built w/ heim joints, its black rubber bushings in arms that dont quite have a full coat of paint

the "ratrod" style shouldnt mean that the cars built in a way thats dangerous, all your welds should be sound, the frame should be strong, roll cage should be the real deal (ive seen fake cages) and all the suspension should be done logicly, no stupid coble jobs just because you "think" thats how people MIGHT have done it back then

you gotta remember that the more things change, the more they stay the same, which is why i find it odd whenever people try to explain how "oh they used to do such and such back then"

i find it hard to beleive that 90% of the hotrods on the road in the 30's and 40's were as butchered as people say they were, because i know that MAYBE MAYBE 5% of the people now adays do something as horribly wrong as hot rodders supposedly did back then

we can all agree that the human race isnt getting smarter, so how the heck did we go from cars done wrong 90% of the time to cars done wrong 10% of the time ?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.