Hot Rod Forum banner

Street rod with rear disc brakes?

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
Does it look bad when street rods have rear disc brakes showing with a wheel such as a 5 spoke? I still have not decided if I will use chrome reverse or a torque thrust type of wheel but my car has rear drums. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
I prefer discs over the drum brakes. I like the look and even better, I like the better stopping power (along with the less unsprung weight). This is my '31 Ford roadster with rear discs. I don't see a thing wrong with showing folks what your car has and that it was built to high standards.

During construction:

As a driver:

The rusty bolts and axle no longer exist

Dave W

#5 ·
I don't understand why you care what others would think. Discs are far superior than drums..........hands down. So if someone says they don't like the look , tell them the next time they slam on the brakes with someone behind them I hope that person has discs and not drums.
Here's a pic of my rear..........I have inboard discs so you don't see anything.

Attachments

#9 ·
I don't really think drum or disc look bad when viewed through the wheel spokes. There are people who are into traditional hotrods that think any disc brake looks bad on that style car, but I'm not one. I like my rods performing well, and don't care if they are disc or drum, or how others view them. I do like to see nice looking pieces, so whatever shows I want painted, polished, or plated. No rust and "patina" on my parts please!
I also think sometimes a painted drum enhances the look if the color is not something that detracts from the overall look. These are painted semigloss black, which is my favorite drum color:

#10 ·
Theres a couple guys here with drum brake rears on "pro touring" wannabe cars. I think it looks goofy as hell with 20" rims. If you're going to push for a high level, modern build aesthetic, the theme should be carried through (to me anyway) But if a guy is on a budget, and thats what he has, it doesn't matter to me.

Crap my old man still has a single pot master cylinder on his 55 chevy, with 4 wheel drums LOL.
My trans am (87 WS6) has drums on the back, the factory were aluminum drums, which are disco'd; so I just painted the new drums with cast aluminum high temp paint

#15 ·
I currently have drums with torque thrust style wheels all the way around on my 64 Impala. I used the high temp engine paint in semi gloss black and think it looks pretty good. Better than rusty drum brakes or rusty discs any day.

As far as the stainless "wheel plates" I'll pass. I have always disliked the cheapness they add to a car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.