Street Scoop II and filter element? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Go ahead kid squeeze the wheez

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Street Scoop II and filter element?

My 66 Nova uses a Mr. Gasket, Street Scoop II that is about 3/4 way through the hood (cut out in hood). I recently took the scoop off for carb servicing and found the filter element extremely dirty, probably never changed. The element is an odd size, 6 3/8" diameter x 2 1/2" deep, and I haven't located one yet. i traced the outline of the element and have stopped by a few parts shops but nothing yet. Anyway, I have a couple changes I would like to run by you guys to see if you think this will work.

First off, the street scoop underside has a rectangular mounting area that is about 6" wide x 12" long x 3/16" deep. The adapter that is attached to the 4120 Holley has the standard round ring, which has a flange and plate to attach the scoop to the carb. This is where it gets jenked up. The adapter plate on top of the carb mount ring is only about 6" x 6", leaving the scoop open on the bottom at the front and back. Should this be closed so the air is flowing only through the scoop? I thought about making a plate that would close off the bottom of the scoop, then cut a hole for the carb air way and drill for the mounting bolts, all easily done. This seems like it would provide more cold air to the carb, as it is, rising heat from the engine gets sucked into the open bottom plate on the scoop.

The next thing, should I consider removing the filter element when racing, not easily done, but possible. I may be able to increase the size of the element in diameter, maybe to 7", but that's about it. As for height of the element, there is no way to increase this. I do drive this car on the street and would want some protection from debree in the carb, but also want the engine to breath and breath as cool as possible.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2004, 09:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would definitely block all other areas where air can enter the scoop beside the normal front entrance area. The scoop can create a small pressurized "ram-air" system that flows into the carb thus helping the engine a tiny bit as higher rpm if air is only coming from the front, but since its probably leaking downwards into the engine bay, you're loosing this possibility right now. On the other hand, right now, if particles enter the scoop, they have a place they can get out, otherwise, you'll have to clean the inside of the scoop a bit more often I assume, depending on your environmental conditions you drive in. The size of the filter element is probably calculated with this in mind too (assumption here) so if it is, the element is probably the good size for "closed" system.

Oh, and btw, if you wanna enjoy the maximum "ram-air" effect possible, I would suggest making sure that your scoop goes out the hood almost completely. Use a Carb Spacer if needed or make yourself a scoop tray/raiser to attach your scoop and will act as a adapter for your carb and the scoop at the same time. In aluminnium or steel (but heavier) its pretty easy to make if you know welding.

My bits!
Yan

Based on Homer's Philosophical writings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.