street truck with horse power - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[quote=F-BIRD'88;1624577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post

Well you can waste your money as you like.

All you need is good basic block machining. stock GM Rods resized correctly,
stock GM crank reground correctly. and the low compression dished forged pistons.
rebalancing the crank is nice.

The short block is very very simple and basic.
The blower is not hard on the short block at all.

Id even build this motor with the KB hyers with the 21cc dish.
All that is required is the biger top piston ring end gap and correct low compression ratio and correct engine tune ( timing,jetting) and decent gas in the tank.

The forged -22cc dished pistons are the same price so.....

it is detonation (incorrect tune, crap gas, fuel lean out, excessive boost, excessive timing for fuel octane-compression ratio) and way excessive rpm ABUSE (7500+rpm) that kills motors, Not superchargers.

383 stroker cranks are inherently weaker than a stock 350 crank.

Wait a minute.Why am I re-grounding a 350 crank and then why is a 383 crank inherently weaker??. Kind of lost me there.

I said blower motors are jetted richer to avoid a lean condition so they don't get good gas mileage and you told us no that isn't true. But then you said a proper tune is re-jetting for a blower motor.

I do know cams for a blower motor are usually conservative in lift and you don't want much over lap.

Howards doesn't offer all the cranks just for the fun of it:

Chev SB with BB Snout

Honestly,if it was a customer of ours,we would recommend against a cast crank to the extent where if the customer didn't want to follow our recommendations,turn down the build.

You talk about re-sizing rods,but nothing about ARP bolts,treatment of the rods like shot-pinning(sp??) or anything else.

I mean you can get a decent set of forged rods for not alot of money.Why risk it??.

I think that is my point overall. Why risk it at all??. I do think about how our posts go over the world wide web and some guy who we never talked to or posted to does something really risky and loses thousands of dollars he can't afford. There is a certain amount of responsibly we need to be mindful in the advise we give. Marginal builds falls into the category.

Remember the approach of a "open book build"??. We do need to return back to that in it will provide a margin of safety in the builds we suggest. Nothing has changed in Hot Rodding. It costs money to go fast,if it sounds too good to be true,it is likely not,you don't get something for nothing.

This quote was intended to F-Bird.Sorry Vinnie,I don't know why it worked out like this.

Advertisement

Last edited by 1Gary; 12-20-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Gary For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (12-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 PM

1gary,I read your whole post? I was wondering why you would think I was not being responsible. I often question how someone can build an engine so cheap? I dont post as many details as tech/bogie/paintedJ/ These guys I really respect and if I state something different,especially tech,its not in the form of an argument as much as a debate.The same applies to you 1gary,I believe you offer great advice too.If I dont agree totally its just an opinion.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
1gary,I read your whole post? I was wondering why you would think I was not being responsible. I often question how someone can build an engine so cheap? I dont post as many details as tech/bogie/paintedJ/ These guys I really respect and if I state something different,especially tech,its not in the form of an argument as much as a debate.The same applies to you 1gary,I believe you offer great advice too.If I dont agree totally its just an opinion.
Vinnie-as I said I quoted the wrong person.I intended to be F-Bird.

I read and enjoy alot of your posts too.Man,I'm sorry for the miss-understanding. And I do get your point.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.