Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Street Tunnel Ram
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 09:59 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Mopar Guy
I've posted it so many times I'll just briefly add my two cents worth.

A proper PACKAGE will run with no troubles. I've ran tunnel ram 2x4bbls more than anybody I know, on daily driven work trucks, daily driven cars (the WIFE drove) and numerous high performance cars.
Not only were they responsive, trouble free, great cold and hot drivability, they also had power brakes on everything I built, some had mild cams, some not so mild, and all my stuff had to pass AirCare emissions testing.

Too many misconceptions about tunnel rams out there IMO.
You beat me to this post. I have been running tunnel rams on my street driven vehicles for over 20 years. As I have stated before, the main areas to focus on are 1) runner length-longer makes more torque, 2) plenum volume-use the smallest plenum you can find for increased throttle response, 3) proper carb sizing-use carbs with small venturies, 4) proper ignition advace curve-more important than you think and very often overlooked. Check out the pic below. It's a 406 sb with 9.6 comp and a Comp 280 Magnum cam. A completely incorrect Edelbrock Pro Ram II tunnel (rpm range 6500-10,000) with Holley 9776 465 cfm carbs. The engine idled at 850 and it never turned over 6000 rpm. With 3.08 gears, floor the pedal and smoke the tires from a dead stop. The car was a 71 Camaro. Trans was a turbo 400 with TCI 11" conv. This engine was my daily driver and the car was driven to many national shows. It can be done as has been proven to a few members of this board. PM me with a phone number and I'll be happy to talk to anyone about it.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sbctunnel.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	18349