Streetable Manual Injection? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 12:19 PM
"This aint no kiddie ride"

Last journal entry: 1950 chevy p/u streetrod
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Streetable Manual Injection?

.030 Over 283 In A Tubular Chassis Race Car Frame,non Belt Driven Fuel Pump,on Gas,#6 Injectors,202/160 Valves,510/310 Cam. 2 1/16 Hilborn Injection,manual Valve Body Tranny(powerglide Shorty) 14 Inch Drive Line,quickchange Rear,straightaxle Front. Total Weight On Unit W/driver 1675 Lbs.
Is The Manual Fuel Injection Going To Be A Feasible Idea Or Should I Go With Carb? Reason For Fuel Injection Is Authentic Look Of Race Car When It Was Raced. I Understand That The Worst Problem May Be Getting It To Idle & Snap Throttle Response.
Any Helpful Ideas Wanted,...thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPRINT.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	11220  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 01:29 PM

how about converting the mech injection to efi? Guess a bunch of fellows have already been thru it, I have 2 complete systems, one from kinsler and one from hillborn, looking to covert them, any suggestions? heard gfood things about it.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Here you go

The Megasquirt system..http://msefi.com/ this is a do-it-yourself EFI controller..should be able to convert the Hilborn to street with this..

The ole Hilborns did not idle well and were not really usable on a street car..Seen several try it..Myself I have seen the struggle with this idea and there have been some good reports on the megasquirt..

Good luck
Sam
Old 03-28-2006, 02:46 PM
"This aint no kiddie ride"

Last journal entry: 1950 chevy p/u streetrod
Last photo:

Streetable Manual Fuel Injection

Dont Want To Go The Electronic Route If I Dont Have To. Is There Any Way To Maybe Go Smoother On The Cam & Still Live With The Snap Response & Need For A High Idle? This Will Just Be A Playtoy That's Only Driven From Time To Time. Cost Seems To Be Too High For Electronic Injection,...
Old 03-29-2006, 05:53 AM

Quickchange,

Just 2 cents from someone who has not been there and has not done that yet:
any mech fuel injection to me always been like a dream to come true. When i got the systems, could not resist to get them, but a fellow here uses tro tune them for race and told me that it is just not suited to street use, no matter how You look at it. The first thing he asked was about using auto trans with the loosiest converter available, to help overcame the snap at the gas pedal. I also remember something about being a nightmare to start, like was required to pressurize de fuel tank before because the gas pump at the injection does not self prime and the list goes on. To me it seems like enough.

Onemoretime,

Tks, will check them also. i'm in Brasil and inporting things are not all that easy. There is a company here, fueltech, that also produces efi controllers that are quite easy to deal, and I may go that route. Those tall stacks look so pretty darn cool that is just impossible to resist.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

I'll second the megasquirt, i'm on my 3rd turbo efi engine, i'm not an electrical engineer or a computer programmer and they all run flawlessly

Brendan

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.