Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - StreetBeast rod kit's
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Didn't get an answer to my question. I may have to just email the reporter for the Miami New Times, or the other media outlets that the article says covered this: the Miami Herald, Car and Driver, the Los Angeles Times, Inside Edition, and the Associated Press.

This is what it's looking like to me:

----------
1. George Levin buys Classic Motor Carriages in 1978.

2. By 1994, the State of Florida had amassed 900 complaints against Classic Motor Carriages, and the Florida Attorney General's Office sued them.

3. Classic Motor Carriages's sales plummeted, they were evicted from their headquarters, and they closed down.

4. George Levin launched a new company called Auto Resolutions.

5. In 1999, the case had made its way through the court system, and Classic Motor Carriages had to pay nearly $3 million in fines for fraudulent business practices.

6. At the same time, Auto Resolutions began selling kits under the brand name Street Beasts.
----------

So, the exact same guy that owned Classic Motor Carriages started StreetBeast after CMC got busted by the State of Florida for fraud?
Jon,

I haven't only built CMC's kits, I was building Kit Cars since before I even joined CMC and I have helped people build a number of different cars and kits and I can say this without any reservation at all weather it is a Cobra, a Street Beast, a T bucket, a dune buggy, a Ferrari, or a 32 Highboy, if it is made of fiberglass and the customer has to put it together out of a box, they all have the same sort of problems with fit, finish, and availability of parts.

I want you to consider for a second what the name "Auto Resolution" means we all know what an "Auto" is, but "Resolution" doesn't exactly fit with the purpose of selling kit cars now does it? That is because Auto Resolution was created to resolve the complaints that CMC had lodged against it.

I'd be a fool to even try to say that CMC didn't have complaints but not all of those complaints were CMC's fault. Most were generated by one man who swore he would shut down CMC because CMC refused to advertise in his yearly round up of all the kit car kits available.

Using various means (including a source inside CMC's Management) he was able to access CMC's computer customer base and sent official looking letters out to customers telling them that they could get their money back and inferring that they could also keep their kits as well.

Once upon a time I had one of those letters sent to me at CMC by a customer who actually loved his car and wouldn't part with it for the world. The day I left CMC it was still in the small office I used to answer technical questions and more importantly solve customer complaints.

And he was also able to contact vendors and tell them not to sell parts to CMC while he was also telling CMC's customers that they would never get their back ordered parts from CMC. It was a cruel little Morbius loop in which he used expand CMC's Backlog by increasing customers demand while shutting off their supply from their vendors. As part of R&D at the time I had contacts with vendors and was told how they were threatened with legal action if they continued to sell parts to CMC. Imagine that telling customers they won't get their parts all while telling vendors not to sell CMC parts

I believe most of the myths about CMC are based upon this same vicious little man who has never published newer edition of his buyers guide since CMC jerked their ads from his pages.

I also believe or rather I know from experience that the concerns about CMC's quality can be applied equally to any fiberglass car that has to be built by a customer no matter who makes the car or kit.

In all fairness in bashing CMC no one, especially not CMC's competitors, has ever said that their kits suffer from the same sort of problems , but I will and anyone with any experience building fiberglass cars of any type should admit it as well.

Which brings us back to easy to build doesn't it?

I know from actually talking to people that those that believe that they can will and that those that believe that they cannot won't and I know that the Cars that Street Beasts builds today can be built and are being built.

What I want to know is why someone that sells a bare T Bucket shell and expects the customer to supply everything else to build the car including the frame is treated with more respect than a company that tries to sell as complete a car as is economically possible.