Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - StreetBeast rod kit's
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
Henry,

For the Love of God, please write in paragraph form! I read a brick back there of text!

THE FIX:

Mike S. aka Grandpa Cobra recommended the following:
1. Remove the wheel.
2. Take a wide 1/2 washer and a wheel nut flipped upside down and use a socket wrench to tighten the wheel nut until the wheel nut and washer are flush to the hub/rotor. Doing this should properly align the lug within the hub.
3. Remove both inverted wheel nut and washer and attempt to remount the wheel once both lugs have been realigned.
4. Once the wheel is remounted all is good.

I'm sorry I don't have any pics at this moment of the hub, but upon close up inspection, (of which pictures will be posted) the hub appears to be safe and normal. If the lugs within the hub were even at a 15 degree angle, of course I'd be upset. But these were barely out of alignment and prevented me initially from mounting the wheel.

I do hope this helps those who are following my build.

Jay K.
Jay what he told you is the proper way to bottom out the studs if they are not pressed in all the way. To use that proceedure to re-align studs is a bad thing because in actuallity you are racking the stud in the hole and that distorts the hole...in essence making it a little out of round...this little bit of extra hole can cause the stud to rock and cause your wheel to loosen up or worse come off. I was a ASE Tech for over 38 years and I have been a hot rodder longer than that. It may not ever happen , but it is a possibility. Please do not use that hub.Please do not take a chance and run that hub. Sorry but I just never did like paragraphs. I can understand now why the Streetbeast guys did not want to publicly tell what they told you to do about the hub.