Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - StreetBeast rod kit's
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Last journal entry: 1937 Ford Club Coupe LS2 build thread
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
Actually that little dinky photo of the CMC frame above doesn't tell the true story of it as it is one heavy duty frame. I happened to like the top area of the CMC frame front and back as it adds support to the firewall and back of the car in front of the trunk. Don't forget the Master Cylinder and Steering column is supported in front of the CMC frame this way. Not knocking the TCI frame but the only support I see you will get with this type of frame once the body is mounted is the support in whatever is used in the body you choose to use on the frame. Most of the other '34 Coupe body makers such as Outlaw use wood in their bodies.

Here is a quote by one of the body manufacturers recommended on this forum by some. Quote: Hand-laminated, one-piece constructed body. Complete with wood reinforcement. Wood consists of kiln-dried Poplar, D-select. Poplar is used because the expansion rate is the most compatible to fiberglass than any other wood.

Once the CMC/SB Body is placed on the frame it is surrounded by a metal cage mounted inside from roof to floor that you bolt in and then weld in as you build your '34 Coupe. Where the other manufacturers mount their doors to wood, CMC/SB doors are mounted to the CMC steel frame. More work for the builder but stronger in my opinion. To me I have to say I like this idea better for support all around the car. If I remember correctly the original '34 Ford used (OAK) wood many years ago. Below is a CMC/SB frame that shows a little more detail as the picture is larger then said previous photo above. What you don't see in both pictures as mentioned above is the Steel Cage that gets built inside once the body is set on the frame and aligned. Notice the steel supports for the running boards. You can actually stand on the CMC/SB running boards if one had to. The boxed support behind the front passenger side front tire is where the battery sits.

Bottom Line............Which design is the Accepted "STANDARD" in the Industry................A Chassis built with Quality, Adjustability, and Finesse....or one built to Blacksmith "Standards".......If you don't understand that.......there's no sense in going any further........Like the Used Car Salesmen say........There's an "***" for every Seat.....Just my $.02

Ken