Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - StreetBeast rod kit's
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
Again I have to disagree with some members here. Based on my own experience with the building of the car. I feel my car truly is a StreetRod although it was sold as a kit.
I mean no disrespect it may not sound like it to you but I am supporting you and your car. What is a "kit car"? You have a very good point there, many "kit car" that you see for sale marketed AS A kit car in magazines such as "KITCAR" are nothing more than a body and frame and miles from a "Kit". While you can buy a repro 32 Ford from many Street rod vendors with everything but the motor and trans and they are called "Street rods". So yes, there is a HUGE gray area. Hell Citroen was selling their CV3 in America, a completely factory manufactured car that could be bought just about anywhere in the world and drive it off the dealers lot. But here in America it was sold as a "Kit car" partially assembled because it didn't make the safety standards of a new car here!

So a "kit car" can mean different things to different people.

Your car is an "outcast" in the street rod world by design and marketing, though unfairly so my most standards as you point out. YOU Build this car no unlike anyone would buy any replica Ford body and build it using all repro and rod parts.

When the SB is built sooooooooo unorthodox like the one piece body and the frame that bares no resemblence what so ever to an original Ford frame, when not one single part on the car would be innerchanged with the same part on any original OR other replica cars that pretty much makes it a "kit car" in my book. The only reason you were unable to buy the COMPLETE kit and bolt it together in your garage is the poor business practices of the SB! Their GOAL (well sort of because it really isn't that hard to pull off) is to supply a COMPLETE kit to the home builder. At least that is what they advertise! That is the product represented in all their literature!

They are apparently simply to lame to pull off a "real" kit car so they end up selling a "street rod" by default.

Brian