Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - StreetBeast rod kit's
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

[QUOTE=pepi]
The metal cars have very defined lines. curves and corners are tight, bent/formed metal .. glass can not duplicate that.. I am not knocking the glass crowd, but the metal guys cars are worth more, with a qualifier both built the same except for the body .

[QUOTE]

You have no clue of what you say. Fiberglass can be molded to be every bit as defined as steel, it only requires attention. As far as the opening of the doors telling the tale, that is a misconception on your part as well. The bodies WE built had extra design work done to the molds, specifically to appear as well defined as steel, and special interface preparation procedures as well as dedicated fixturing to keep all inner/outer panel interface edges the same dimension as it's steel counterpart.
The insides of the window openings had extra steps taken so you did not see a hollow opening with rough edges, and it was easy to mistake our bodies for steel.
As the shop forman who also worked many national shows in the capacity of factory rep, I can not count how many people asked if our bodies were steel.

I am more familiar with the shortcomings of glass bodies that most companies fail to address than you could ever imagine.

Most glass companies refuse to take the extra time it takes to build a quality car body.

That car you reference has no "side curtains". Side curtains are optional acessories for roadsters and touring cars for inclement weather.
If you are referring to the hood top and sides on the blue and white 34 Ford replica in Rob's post , they are steel, not fiberglass. I should know, I performed a great deal of the work to complete that car at my shop. It was actually the last 34 coupe body I built when I worked at Poli-Form in a full time capacity, delivered December, 1997.

The 34 coupe body is not being produced by Poli-Form at this time, due to the inability to find people skilled enough to produce them on a production basis. We had standards that most employees could not or would not meet.

As far as resale value goes, you are correct in most instances, only because a great many companies building 'glass cars have given most all of them a bad reputation, which you yourself propagate, obviously having no experience with a good one.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example