Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - StreetBeast rod kit's
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
Vince,

But what about rust? Is that a concern? Additionally, don't a lot of the pro builders use crimpers? Heck, Joe Rizzo in last month's issue of Street Rodder Magazine even pimped crimpers when he was discussing how to set up some Dolphin gauges for the street rod that his wife is building.

Your thoughts?

Jay K.
I am not a "pro" builder but I have always preferred solder and heat shrink over crimping. The only time I ever crimp is when splicing into a circuit and space won't allow solder and shrink tubing. Solder and copper wire won't rust so no worries there. Most of the connectors are (I believe) zinc coated and hold up well. The only concern I have ever had with rust is when connecting a ground to frame, engine, etc. Then I use a star washer for better contact.

PS: I really want to follow your build and would request that you start a seperate thread (different than a journal) with your progress. That way we won't have to sort through all the comments this thread generates.

Thanks