Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - StreetBeast rod kit's
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Mikey - great test and a great write up of the conclusions . And you are right that this will not change anyones mind, but at least it gives some sanity over the steel vs. 'glass components, i.e. my Wescott front fenders, which I literally bounced around before finishing them, vs the steel rears that were "tender". (But with that said, do I now have to like the way a SB looks? ?? )

Dave W

(It appears that you also had a late night - )
Well you know us guys who just look stuff up in books, and have no experience with anything except for the oil drainplugs I see on the cars I service. Party party

Wescotts uses isopthalic polyester resin, a resin with slightly different mechanical properties than the orthophtalic resin most companies use. It shrinks slightly less, is more flexible and can withstand higher heat than the ortho. They also hand lay their parts. The Wescotts parts are more flexible than the ones we made at Poliform. We liked the extra rigidity in our parts, and the ability to spray the material into some of the the complex shapes that cars like the 34 had. If a guy is good with the gun, he (or she), can control the thickness much better with a chopper gun than by cutting flat material and stretching or peicing it into those shapes. Then all you have to do is find guys who can roll it out properly.

Good gun operators are far and few between. It's easier to find guys who can cut matt to a pattern, brush resin on,and roll out hand laid parts, than guys who can properly spray and roll out chopped parts. That is one big reason chopper gun parts have a bad name. I could compare it to spraying paint on a car, which we all know is an art and a science, but I won't.

No Dave, I don't expect anyone to start liking anything about streetbeast. The examples of their glasswork, steel reinforcement, or interpretation of shapes that I have seen don't impress me. I have seen examples of functional SB cars, after alot of work by the owner or builder. (as is evidenced here in this thread and elsewhere, they are not always the same... )

The main point to my demonstration was directed at those who clearly have no understanding about 'glass parts, and lump them all in one dumpster. Also to show that I just don't talk about these things, but work with them.

There are other mechanical properties of glass that have it all over steel as well, impact absorbtion is one, how many crash helmets are made from steel?

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example