Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - StreetBeast rod kit's
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
I took that into consideration when I thought about his target audience. However, Jim then lobs in the line (or something to the equivalent)

"If its good enough for the Big 3, it's good enough for me."

So which way to go? I think soldiering is the way to go and the above posts convinced me to learn.
There are lots of good crimp connectors available - but many are the very well discussed Chinese junk that is not suited for major wiring. I've tried to use only quality USA made wiring components for my car. Many have been Home Depot Gardner Bender US made, but the most are NAPA's Balkamp (Federal Mogul) along with their wire where I've had to add circuits to my American Autowire panel and hookup wire.

Using a crimper, be aware that there are two basic types - one for insulated lugs and one for the uninsulated. There are also some premium crimpers that will put OEM kind of crimp on your connector, but very expensive.

If I have a long run, it's solder with marine grade shrink tubing which is much better then the regular stuff in that it totally seals the joint and is water resistant. This marine grade shrink tubing is (usually) the flat black rather then the glossy version - and, of course more expensive .

What Jim Rizzo said, and I did read that (as well as what Louie Mayall said in Street Scene) about crimped connections and he is wrong!! OEMs do not use a manual crimp, but a mechanical one that is repeatable over millions of connections per year and is checked regularly for quality of crimp. They crimp to the insulation then to the actual conductor - you can't do this easily with your $15 tool. You can make some crimps on #16 then go to #12 you will find that the crimp failure rate escalates with the heavier wire as your ability to compress the connector barrel is not the same - the crimping tool is only 7-8 inches long and you can only squeeze just so much.

I have used a very few butt connectors, but that's usually to fix a screw up and some place where I couldn't solder the joint. It too is inside of shrink tubing if at all possible.

First of all, get a good brand wiring kit, then follow their method. Most will supply a few connectors, but never enough. I like the American Autowire system - they gave me great directions and schematics, lots of wire, but not enough connectors though they did a great job with my VDO gauge connections. There are other 'kits/modules' that other folks prefer, and most are very good as well.

'Nuff said for now

Dave W