StreetBeast rod kit's - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 AM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
New Interiors,

Are you still posting here?

My father and will be purchasing a StreetBeasts 34 Cabriolet and I've learned lots just from reading your posts and viewing your pics.

Jay K.
While there have been a couple guys who posted that they found ways to make a Street Beast work, why not spend the same money on legit companies that don't have the air of failure over them. Sometimes, like when it involves large sums of money, you have to listen to the masses.

I hope you end up with a good project, especially since it's a father/son thing. Good luck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

JGK95 like Fred just said,, there are SO MANY GOOD body and frame kits out there that don't require all the extra work and EXPENSE to make right, why not buy a good one to start with.. all these people AREN'T telling lies about these street beast bodys, they are absolutely junk,,
After reading about all the BAD results they have had with them,, how could you possably want to buy one,,
you will most likely have the same money in a GOOD kit,, as you will in a S/B after you spend all the extra money to make it work,, YOU GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR,,,,,,,,
Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rat, Fred, & Z28,

1. The car's not an investment.
2. Budget's limited. Very Limited. To play with the big boys costs lotsa coin.
3. We looked at Rat's Glass (A personal fav of mine) but settled on the StreetBeast as we are buying it in an optimal situation.
Prior to joining this board, I did my homework. Plain and simple, these cars are not well received.

I get it.

If I had my druthers, I'd have an all steel body modeled after a Rat's Glass with a chromed out IRS and IFS from Heidts with Twin Turbos.

Your input's appreciated and understood.

Thanks,

Jay K.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

It's a real shame that no matter what the experience of the entire street rodding community says some people will believe the advertising hype of sleazy underhanded, illicit companies. It just goes to show that a little slick advertising money can pull the eyes over just about anyone gullible enough to believe the sham.

Here's a little article that appeared in the Miami Herold a while back about StreetBeast. It doesn't paint a very rosy picture, and for those of us who (when we were younger and less experienced) almost purchased one of these kits from the original FiberFab, it really brings back some memories. By the way FiberFab was the original name... that's before they were shut down by the Florida Attorney General's Office and later reopened as Classic Motor Carriages.... which is before they were shut down by the Florida Attorney General's Office and reopened yet again under the new name StreetBeast.

A Beastly Background

Good luck with your purchase.... and I really do hope you get all your parts on the first shipment. If not you may be waiting for years.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 PM

Streetbeasts

In America everyone has intitled to an opinion and the right to free speech so here is mine on an age old argument and yes by god I am going there!

Streetbeasts represents the genre that I refer to as 1-800 Hotrodders.
These New plastic caskets in the form of a classic piece of automotive history are a waste of time and money and a direct insult to anyone who has spent the weekend sanding or doing bodywork on a "real" car.

These cars haven't been through Hard times ,depression, ,war, accidents,newly weds,drive-ins, kisses,repaints,rockn'roll,tears,conspiracys smiles,argements, protests,dragstrips,hotdogs,concerts,elections,Div orces all to survive and tale the tale!
Instead they represent progressive transgression,convienence,laziness,capitalism,lack of immagination,me too attitudes, and lack of individuality!
It amazes me that we even let these" big Models" compete in any shows and be judged alongside real cars,It is a big cheat !but then again we pay sports heros millions while our real heros our vets are left hungry and sleeping in the streets.
Please don't respond with that same old weak bull**** like
"I can't afford a real 32 ford" because more often than not the glass cars are the ones that are way overdone and priced out of this world.
There are plenty of good cars left get of your ***** and find them!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Rat, Fred, & Z28,

1. The car's not an investment.
2. Budget's limited. Very Limited. To play with the big boys costs lotsa coin.
3. We looked at Rat's Glass (A personal fav of mine) but settled on the StreetBeast as we are buying it in an optimal situation.
Prior to joining this board, I did my homework. Plain and simple, these cars are not well received.

I get it.

If I had my druthers, I'd have an all steel body modeled after a Rat's Glass with a chromed out IRS and IFS from Heidts with Twin Turbos.

Your input's appreciated and understood.

Thanks,

Jay K.

Hi Jay... the car in my avator is a RATs glass, NOT much better than a street beast,, believe me,, I built it,, EVERY large panel has flat spots trunk lid, doors Top, they are made with a chopper gun,, not hand layup like advertised, their advertised steel body reinforcements is POPULAR wood,, one of the SOFTEST woods in the world, not even a hardwood like oak,, and if you have them do any mods to the body when you order it,, it will be full of bondo,, and the gel-coat will be flat black primer paint, we had them tub the rear wheelwells and they used a piece of cardboard for a form for the tub,, looks like a 10 y/o did it,,[ probably was]
the ONLY thing nice about a RATS GLASS body is the design,, and thats because bobby Alloway designed it,, check out my journal and see how much work was involved Never again,,, Bill
Old 09-20-2007, 09:54 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger
In America everyone has intitled to an opinion and the right to free speech so here is mine on an age old argument and yes by god I am going there!

Streetbeasts represents the genre that I refer to as 1-800 Hotrodders.
These New plastic caskets in the form of a classic piece of automotive history are a waste of time and money and a direct insult to anyone who has spent the weekend sanding or doing bodywork on a "real" car.

These cars haven't been through Hard times ,depression, ,war, accidents,newly weds,drive-ins, kisses,repaints,rockn'roll,tears,conspiracys smiles,argements, protests,dragstrips,hotdogs,concerts,elections,Div orces all to survive and tale the tale!
Instead they represent progressive transgression,convienence,laziness,capitalism,lack of immagination,me too attitudes, and lack of individuality!
It amazes me that we even let these" big Models" compete in any shows and be judged alongside real cars,It is a big cheat !but then again we pay sports heros millions while our real heros our vets are left hungry and sleeping in the streets.
Please don't respond with that same old weak bull**** like
"I can't afford a real 32 ford" because more often than not the glass cars are the ones that are way overdone and priced out of this world.
There are plenty of good cars left get of your ***** and find them!
" big Models" big plastic models .. agreed steel is hands down no argument the better choice, sure it takes sanding,hammering, and welding......... make a mistake, cut if off start again, if it gets hit it dents, not shatters with cracks like spiderwebs. Steel will never sag, loose it shape cause the sun can not melt it. If you are looking for a trailer queen then a plastic car is best, goes together like a little model car and one can just glue the parts on to make it look real fast..... nope not for me I can spot a plastic car a 100 feet away they always look like a big wheel or a car out of a box of cereal, vacuum mold, much to smooth........... as mention they have NO soul, like rain gutters and sharp defined edges. There is just something about a car that has been around 75 years , actually made by Henry and his workers and here you are making it all nice again ......... just nothing like it. Just ask this, do you want a cubic zirconia or a diamond , they look the same ......... BUT the value , real value not the zillions it took to make it something it never was, but pound for pound value ............ steel wins all day every day.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

If you two think you're going to turn this into a steel is real thread please don't even go there. Do us all a favor and take your arguments (and there are several people that would love to chime in on that subject) and post them in a new thread.

It's very important that people understand the drawbacks of purchasing a StreetBeast especially since this company is by far the absolute bottom feeder of the street rod industry bar none. So lets keep this thread on target.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

You guys all done yet?

Two things:

1. If I ever met any of you, I'd probably complement your car and the work put into it.

2. The foolish arguement of Metal vs. Plastic and it's history is laughable. Hell, if Heny J. heard about plastic back then and knew how to mass produce it. You'd all be singing his praises like a church choir!

You all know my preference for Metal as I stated in my previous post, so I'll end it there.

Centerline,

I've followed your posts prior to joining this board and already was familiar with your position. This isn't the blind following the blind. This is a boy and his dad of a very young 72 years old enjoying working on a snap tite model with a little glue and some paint.

Jay K.

ps. Does New Interior even post here anymore?

pps. Bad Rat, Your car is F'n phenomenal!!

Last edited by JGK95; 09-21-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Centerline,

I've followed your posts prior to joining this board and already was familiar with your position. This isn't the blind following the blind. This is a boy and his dad of a very young 72 years old enjoying working on a snap tite model with a little glue and some paint................
You will find out that a StreetBeast is ANYTHING but a "snap tite" model. It is actually one of the most difficult kits out there. Making a StreetBeast kit successful takes much more time, hard work, and "fixing a poor factory design" than any other "kit" on the market, something you will find out soon enough. Based on what you've said it sure looks like you fell hook, line, and sinker for StreetBeast's advertising hype. When it comes to StreetBeast, the very first thing you need to understand is that their advertisements and their sales personnel will say anything they think you want to here in order to make the sale. Unfortunately its more the rule than the exception that once they have your money you're history and even getting them to return calls is next to impossible. I do wish you good luck though and I sincerely hope you're experience will be the exception and not the rule.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You guys all done yet?

Two ps. Does New Interior even post here anymore?

Probably got scared off

pps. Bad Rat, Your car is F'n phenomenal!!
Thanks for the compliment,, I appreciate that
Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to work on a customers street beast 34(?) 3 window coupe. As was said before, up close, the car is not even close to looking like a 33-34 Ford, which it is modeled after. The lines are all weird, anyone who knows cars will spot one of those cars from a mile away. I don't know if they still say that you don't have to paint them, (that was one of the old sales points), but you definately do. The "as molded" gelcoat finish is very rough.

The fiberglass work is poor, thick and resin rich, the fit and alignments are poor , Street beast uses BONDO to glue their doors together....if you line up the gaps in the doors the body lines don't line up, and vice versa. The layout of components is all wrong and the frame looks like a homebuilt early agriculture project. Someone tried to hide some of the piss poor welds where the crossmember met the main rails with silicone, and they were so bad that you could still see that there was no penetration...even with the silicone.. The hardware and running gear is the cheapest available, window regulators and latches are all just the bare minimum to operate. The lower window channels were bare steel, I'm surprised that the windows didn't break when you slammed the door they rattled around so bad.

I could not get in or out of the car easily, as the doors only opened about 40 degrees, because of the crappy hinge design,, the firewall was moved back about 8 inches which made for no leg room and the doors were an inch thicker on each side so it took an already cramped interior and made it very uncomfortable.

I will say that the car that I worked on was well done by the builder, he spent a great deal of time and did really nice work. But just as a master carpenter can put all of his best efforts and techniques into building a peice of furniture, if he builds it out of # 3 pine most of his time is wasted.

And I do have experience with fiberglass car bodies, I worked for a manufacturer of fiberglass replica bodies for 12 years, and continue to work on them as a part of my business.

Good luck with your project.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-22-2007, 12:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
, Street beast uses BONDO to glue their doors together
Rats glass must have learned that trick from street beast,, EVERY panel was glued together with Bondo including the popular wood reinforcements that they passed off for steel , the doors were hung off of 1/2x1/2 TIN [not steel]tubing, that flexed everytime he door was opened,, had to replace every bit of it,, the window garnish moldings didn't even come close to fiting,, cause the windows were not the same size from one side to the other, I had to make all new ones from scrach,, cause the replacements they sent me were just like the first ones we had,, junk,,, I need to quit posting about these junk bodys,, it just gets my blood boiling all over again,,

Last edited by Centerline; 09-22-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Other.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

I have a Dave Korey Street Rods Deuce 3 window body that is, for the money, one of the best values on the market. It's not "an exact replica" because it has a 3 1/2" chop, the firewall is smooth, and the drip rails have been removed but it does have real 1/4" steel reinforcements, hand laid fiberglass, doors hung and latched, trunk hung and latched, and power window mechanisms installed from the factory.

When I bought mine they were going for around $3800. Now they're almost double that but still when compared to Downs or some of the other big names they're a bargain. Right now you could pick up a new body, rolling chassis and complete fender and running board package for right around $14 grand, and that includes IFS. Just about the same price as a StreetBeast and double or triple the quality and ease of assembly.

I don't have his rolling chassis but I do have the American Stamping frame rails, complete Pete & Jakes suspension system (with chrome hairpins and Superbell front axle) along with Speedway's tubular crossmember system. All I have to do is weld the chassis up and the whole car is ready for assembly.

Now Dave Korey doesn't spend thousands on slick national advertising but his quality and overall value make a StreetBeast look like the junk it is. The best analogy I can think of is that Dave's stuff is like something that's American made compared to StreetBeast quality which is more like something made in China. My point is that there are just dozens of better choices out there than a StreetBeast.

When it comes to this car, I'll be building it next year (as soon as I'm finished with my pickup). I'll post pics and narrative of the build on my web site so everyone can see how easily this thing will go together. Right now as it stands I have about $8 grand invested in the body and chassis and by the time I'm done my goal is to have spent no more than $12 grand, and that's with a 3 deuce hemi, TH-350 and a Ford 9" rear end. Only time will tell if this goal is attainable but I think it is.

Last edited by Centerline; 09-22-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

Centerline,

The car looks fascinating, good luck with your project! How long do you expect the entire build process to take? How many rods has this Dave Koorey sold? If we were to buy it would be the 33/34 full dress street rod with frame combo.

PowerRodsMikey,

Thanks for your input. I don't have a problem with the gluing of the doors with bondo when both the fiberglass resin and bondo are roughly the same agent. They both are adhesives. Am I wrong here?

Sure Street Beasts may look a little off, but heck! I'd rather have a Rat's Glass than either the dkrods.com or the StreetBeasts' 34 cabriolet as they have the most aggressive rake of all three!

Just outta curiousity, did you happen to know when the owner purchased his streetbeast rod from Street Beasts? I have our soon to be customer number and I'm wondering if the guy who brought his car to your shop purchased it recently or during what would be the growing pain years up until recently?

The world of fiberglass cars is all new to me and it's a learning project from day to day.

Thanks again guys,

Jay K.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.