StreetBeast rod kit's - Page 75 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

34's have no drip rail.

You never worked with fiberglass, if you did your inexperience shows.

But I'm not wasting any time to try to educate you, Pepi...there is no point to it. You could not do anything with the knowledge anyway.

Later, mikey

Advertisement

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 06:07 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
If you are referring to the hood top and sides on the blue and white 34 Ford replica in Rob's post , they are steel, not fiberglass. I should know, I performed a great deal of the work to complete that car at my shop. It was actually the last 34 coupe body I built when I worked at Poli-Form in a full time capacity, delivered December, 1997.

Later, mikey
Mikey,

Your work is talented! Our StreetBeasts '34 hood looks exactly like the one in the pictures and you made that hood out of steel?

Nicely done!

Yup, we are very happy with the build process of our StreetBeasts and are now looking at how to size up the placement of the wiring. This is some of that "Going where no man has gone before" action for my father and I. Yet a quick search of youtube.com has the solution for us already.

Just would like to mention again, that I like your work.

For the guy who'd like to see a rat rod in glass, check out ratsglassbodies.com. Those street rods have some bad *** rake on them.

Cheers,

Jay K.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No Jay, I did not make the hood on that 34, it is a Rootlieb.

Although a fiberglass hood could be made, there was no point as Rootlieb made such nice replica hoods from steel. And being as how the body was a replica, they fit as well as they do on an original Ford body. The grill is a Valley aluminum grill. I did build the body from the firewall back when I worked at Poli-Form , and did all the fitting of the hood to the body, and fenders to body, frame etc in my shop after I quit working full time there, ....fenders are fiberglass also, made by Poli-Form.

In some respects, even though the SB car is not a replica of a 34 Ford, not having to fit fenders will let you devote more time to the other aspects of teh build of your car, Anyone who has ever fitted hood and fenders properly on a steel or fiberglass 33 or 34, knows it is a ton of work. (Pepi would not know about fitting fenders on a 34 though, his car has none...well it does have a hood top oops...sorry, my bad... Pepi knows everything ..)

It's really funny though how Pepi talks about how steel is able to have much more detail in the body...here is a shot of some car in his garage, from his project journal..

..I'm not really sure what it is though...from the roof beltline it looks like a 33 or 34...but the rear of the car...it lacks any definition at all....It looks very square...with none of the lines common to any car of the 20s or 30s, and looks very unprofessionally done to me. No soul at all in that . It looks like there is no panel that opens either....No trunk lid? Hmmmm

Even a streetbeast car has way nicer lines than that.

You might consider one of the aftermarket grilles that are specifically made for a 34 SB car, the wide grill teeth on the SB grille is one of the first giveaways to it's SB origin. Take that away, and most guys wouldn't give it a second look and start in on it.

I commend you on your determination, and with work and diligence you will have a car that you and your dad can take pride in, even if folks tell you that you can't. At this point, you bought the car, I'm not going to slight you for your choice.

After reading this thread, you know what to look for, and you can take the necessary steps to make things right if you need to.

Later, mikey

Old 05-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

glass?

You know I was a cruise in last Saturday night with my brother yep we were in one of those damn STREET BEAST Vicky glass cars we all so drew the largest crowd of gnawer's and picture takers YES it was a pain to build BUT so was the hi boy we built all so the 37 WILDROD roaster I have finely got to the paint shop BUT the biggest laugh I got all night was from two guys who came by took a GLANCE (had a magnet) one said to the other oh dam its just one of them glass cars then went straight to a CORVETTE and just coun't say enough good things about it and it did have a high dollar tricolor paint job I wish I could afford and they never had a clue it was glass if they had only seen the first ones with the poor fit they come with but you go to BARRETT-JACKSON and see what they bring now AFTER a good builder Tore it apart and refinished it. Just a thought has any of the moderators here ever perched one of there kits? I just know we had NO TROUBLE getting parts or help if we had a question.This in no way in support of SB I run my on business and if I DID what some say here I would have not been at it for 30+years oh yes as to the last election best thing that has happened to my gun and amo sales since Clinton.
enough OLDROD PS I seen one of the SB Vicky's bring I believe 80,000 or more probably still be on the B-J site
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
Just a thought has any of the moderators here ever perched one of there kits?
I'm guessing "No.", but I'd guess we're getting pretty good at filleting them....

Quote:
PS I seen one of the SB Vicky's bring I believe 80,000 or more probably still be on the B-J site
(Once again in my best laughing tone to add a bit o' humor before someone else slams SB or B-J...) Where'd Barrett-Jackson find two blind men with wads of cash in this economy?????

In a while, Chet.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
I'm guessing "No.", but I'd guess we're getting pretty good at filleting them....

(Once again in my best laughing tone to add a bit o' humor before someone else slams SB or B-J...) Where'd Barrett-Jackson find two blind men with wads of cash in this economy?????

In a while, Chet.
damed if I know did you look or just smart off?
OLDROD
Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I looked on the B-J site, and could not find any listing for a 33 or 34 vicky at all...except a steel car built by Boyd that sold in 2003. I did not explore every option in my searches though.
Find it and link it up for us, OLDROD.

Later, mikey

Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
damed if I know did you look or just smart off?
OLDROD

I grew sick of watching rich arsewanks at B-J (Who probably live on credit anyway...) drive the price of anything but a Yugo to astronomical proportions many moons ago. So yeah, I was smarting off. Evidently my disclosure of humor was missed as well.....

In a while, Chet.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I looked on the B-J site, and could not find any listing for a 33 or 34 vicky at all...except a steel car built by Boyd that sold in 2003. I did not explore every option in my searches though.

Later, mikey
Mikey I will look for the thing as soon as I get a chance I know Mike Joy and some of the others said it was a STREET BEAST I though that was high for what I see them sell for My point for the post is to tell of my brother and my dealing with the one we built and the way it turned out NO I don't know how to get pictures on here or I would have. I know people will give opinions on things with out any dealings with a company I hear it every day that was the reason for the question not to put any one down it just seems some on here have a neg. opinion on the company and I just wondered if they had spent
there $$$$$ or was just repeating what some one had said I don't have a dog in this fight. I went to a link on T and L motors and the same three or four was doing most of the bad mouthing Loyd up there seems like the same here and S/B might deserve all of it.hard to say if you an't bought one.
later OLDROD
PS yes I am aware of there rep.and some get the things then find out its way over there head we have been building cars way before you could call jegs. or some place to get parts. junk yard and made it fit
Old 05-21-2009, 09:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
You know I was a cruise in last Saturday night with my brother yep we were in one of those damn STREET BEAST Vicky glass cars we all so drew the largest crowd of gnawer's and picture takers YES it was a pain to build BUT so was the hi boy we built all so the 37 WILDROD roaster I have finely got to the paint shop BUT the biggest laugh I got all night was from two guys who came by took a GLANCE (had a magnet) one said to the other oh dam its just one of them glass cars then went straight to a CORVETTE and just coun't say enough good things about it and it did have a high dollar tricolor paint job I wish I could afford and they never had a clue it was glass if they had only seen the first ones with the poor fit they come with but you go to BARRETT-JACKSON and see what they bring now AFTER a good builder Tore it apart and refinished it. Just a thought has any of the moderators here ever perched one of there kits? I just know we had NO TROUBLE getting parts or help if we had a question.This in no way in support of SB I run my on business and if I DID what some say here I would have not been at it for 30+years oh yes as to the last election best thing that has happened to my gun and amo sales since Clinton.
enough OLDROD PS I seen one of the SB Vicky's bring I believe 80,000 or more probably still be on the B-J site
Would it be too much to ask for you to use the spell checker along with a little punctuation?

Quote:

Later, mikey
Just spent the last 45 minutes going through the entire Barret-Jackson auction archives for 33 or 34 Fords. Looked at each and every Coupe and Vicky and didn't find a single 33-34 Streetbeast. That includes the auctions in Scottsdale, Las Vegas, and Palm Beach. I did find a pro-built Willys though that sold for 49.5K back in 05.

Having attended BJ's auction in Scottsdale I can tell you for sure that there were no Streetbeast cars there this year. Unless they were sold on the first day. We didn't get there till day two. If there were any sold on day one that's the day when they sell all the "cheap" beater cars. They even had an 81 Vette that sold on day two for $8500. So... if there were any Streetbeasts there this year they were sold for CHEAP! Which was probably more than they were worth anyway.

Last edited by Centerline; 05-21-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Would it be too much to ask for you to use the spell checker along with a little punctuation?

Just spent the last 45 minutes going through the entire Barret-Jackson auction archives for 33 or 34 Fords. Looked at each and every Coupe and Vicky and didn't find a single 33-34 Streetbeast. That includes the auctions in Scottsdale, Las Vegas, and Palm Beach. I did find a pro-built Willys though that sold for 49.5K back in 05.

Having attended BJ's auction in Scottsdale I can tell you for sure that there were no Streetbeast cars there this year. Unless they were sold on the first day. We didn't get there till day two. If there were any sold on day one that's the day when they sell all the "cheap" beater cars. They even had an 81 Vette that sold on day two for $8500. So... if there were any Streetbeasts there this year they were sold for CHEAP! Which was probably more than they were worth anyway.
Centerline please excuse my not doing good at this spelling and stuff oh I did use spell check I been out of school 50+ years so I do the best I can at it. I looked at B-J AS WELL and can't find it my self I might have been dreaming just wish I had mine up next as I thought the price a bit high I can tell you the car my brother and my self built turn out nice. you have your self a good night there on the left coast. Oh my brother lived out there 20 years.On a another note do you know who's 33 Willy body's that Willy Unlimited is using now?

good night OLDROD
Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

Quote:
No Jay, I did not make the hood on that 34, it is a Rootlieb.

You might consider one of the aftermarket grilles that are specifically made for a 34 SB car, the wide grill teeth on the SB grille is one of the first giveaways to it's SB origin.

I commend you on your determination, and with work and diligence you will have a car that you and your dad can take pride in, even if folks tell you that you can't. At this point, you bought the car, I'm not going to slight you for your choice.

After reading this thread, you know what to look for, and you can take the necessary steps to make things right if you need to.

Later, mikey
Mikey,

Thanks for the correction and the new knowledge gained about the grille. I didn't know that about the spacing. Up close, the grill is a fine piece of aluminum that can really be appreciated.

You learn something new everyday.

Thanks again,

Jay K.

ps. What the photos don't show are the fuel and brake lines that my father and I ran. I'm exceptionally proud of that work.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:08 AM

Last journal entry: 1937 Ford Club Coupe LS2 build thread
Last photo:

Thanks for the correction and the new knowledge gained about the grille. I didn't know that about the spacing. Up close, the grill is a fine piece of aluminum that can really be appreciated. Thanks for the correction and the new knowledge gained about the grille. I didn't know that about the spacing. Up close, the grill is a fine piece of aluminum that can really be appreciated.

You learn something new everyday.

Thanks again,

Jay K.

Jay...........Please don't take offense........It looks like you and your Pa are doing a great job and the car will end up being very nice!......With that said..When you are finished and start going to Cruise Nights and Shows........You will then be involved and have "Experience" and a "Knowledge" base to use for comparison between your car and others that you will now be looking at........At that point you will be able to "Compare" the finished products......."And" at that point you will see that the Efforts you and your father might have been a little more "Fruitful" if you had started with a more "Traditional" Street Rod Kit and Knowledge base.........And again.....Please don't take offense.......But.......That's the point that everyone here is trying to convey to you.......When you make a statement like
"Up close, the grill is a fine piece of aluminum that can really be appreciated."
just shows that you aren't at that point yet........
Bottom line.......the best thing in the world is a "Father/Son" project.....enjoy it as the Experience with your Pa will be one of the "Greatest" things you will ever do and will be with you forever.......

Ken
Old 05-22-2009, 07:26 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:

(Pepi would not know about fitting fenders on a 34 though, his car has none...well it does have a hood top oops...sorry, my bad... Pepi knows everything ..)

It's really funny though how Pepi talks about how steel is able to have much more detail in the body...here is a shot of some car in his garage, from his project journal..

..I'm not really sure what it is though...from the roof beltline it looks like a 33 or 34...but the rear of the car...it lacks any definition at all....It looks very square...with none of the lines common to any car of the 20s or 30s, and looks very unprofessionally done to me. No soul at all in that . It looks like there is no panel that opens either....No trunk lid? Hmmmm

Later, mikey
Just for you, one is a truck a 32 and it has drip rails, the other is a 34 and yes no fenders I like them that way . Did not build the 34 but drive the heck out of it, you got any hotrods you own? I have two, both now on the road.

And just one question cause I really do not know the answer, when did a glass replica car win the Riddler award, could you recall the date of that?

glass cars stronger ................. that one has me on the floor... you "work on em and get paid", ever build one from a parts pile ? I get paid also to fix these cars and I have another job as well ... so I guess I have at least two talents ...

oh yes I forgot you look up parts in a book, service others cars and a moderator @ the board ......... so impressive, I pass the I know everything torch to you .
Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Personally I don't have time to post here, but I would like to share an experience I had the other day.

I got a call from a guy I thought was one of our customers, he was wanting to know how he could make his 34 coupe into a flip nose, so I described what I would do and how I would go about converting one of our cars into a flip nose for the better part of half a hour.

In the end he tells me he doesn't have one of our cars, he has a "Bad *** Rod" 34 coupe (Mods if it is wrong for me to post the name ,please delete the actual name) and launches into a litany of complaints against it, to which I said nothing.(I don't attack other vendors that is not my style nor will I repeat them here)

In the end after looking at pictures of the car he purchased from the other company I told him what was necessary to convert that car into a flip nose as well, and how I would do it.

It was fun.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.