StreetBeast rod kit's - Page 81 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 09:35 PM
tjn/56nomad

Wiki Edits: 0

posting pixs

Thanks Rob, my ***** is dragging, its 11:35 here and I need my beauty rest, I'll get back with you, if I can find this message! I've got all the pixs in digital format but they're too large! Thanks, TJN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjn
.......... For you guys to continue badmouthing the Streetbeasts for 80 pages is absolutely unreal!...... TJN
It's the company more than the cars. There is no doubt that a Streetbeast kit can be built into a nice car given enough time, talent and hard work. Its the predatory marketing tactics Streetbeast uses to market their so called easy to build product to the novice street rodder. Everyone knows they are far from easy to build. It is also the dismal history of Fiberfab/Classic Motor Carriages/Streetbeast that is at issue as well. Any company that is shut down by the Florida Attorney General for fraud one day and opens up the next day under a new name with the same ownership, management, sales tactics, and product is immediately suspect and they have not done anything to date to eliminate that suspicion.

Just do a search on Streetbeast and check out what the other gearhead sites have to say about them. Its not just us. Its the majority of the automotive community that has a problem with them.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Its the majority of the automotive community that has a problem with them.
As a current customer of the car, I've had nothing but positive exchanges with StreetBeasts and learned things via the telephone at no cost. All one can really ask for is support from their vendor and the tech support is excellent!

That's what I'm getting and I'm no different from the next guy who buys one of their cars.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
As a current customer of the car, I've had nothing but positive exchanges with StreetBeasts and learned things via the telephone at no cost. All one can really ask for is support from their vendor and the tech support is excellent!

That's what I'm getting and I'm no different from the next guy who buys one of their cars.
I have no doubt that YOU are getting excellent support from Streetbeast. After all..... you are posting your build journal here and they know it. They also know that if they bend over backwards for you that you will tell everyone and a LOT of people read this board. The last thing they want is for an owner/builder to validate everything that has been said over and over again by many people on this board. Especially when they know it will be read by practically anyone who does a Google search on Streetbeast. In that case you are very lucky. I seriously doubt the "average" customer gets that kind of treatment. After all..... they never have before.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have no doubt that YOU are getting excellent support from Streetbeast. After all..... you are posting your build journal here and they know it. They also know that if they bend over backwards for you that you will tell everyone and a LOT of people read this board. The last thing they want is for an owner/builder to validate everything that has been said over and over again by many people on this board. Especially when they know it will be read by practically anyone who does a Google search on Streetbeast. In that case you are very lucky. I seriously doubt the "average" customer gets that kind of treatment. After all..... they never have before.
As much as I don't like mixing it up with you, I'm not that certain that my voice will carry much weight other than to share the positive experience that we've had building their car and making it our own.

If my scenario were as you described, I assume I would've had their #1 guy living at my house building the car for free on his dime.

I'm done here.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Streetbeast's reputation with rodders was earned, not created. It's now up to current buyers to do something to change the perception that Streetbeast has cultivated for themselves.

Everyone knows that bad news travels 100 times faster than good news, so ya'll have alot of work to do if you want to change some of that perception...on your nickel.

They will never be considered a replica though, unless they do a drastic changeover of the product, and will remain classified as kit cars, like those MGs on VW pans and Shay roadsters built from the best parts of a Pinto.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 06-02-2009, 09:07 PM
tjn/56nomad

TJN'S "Non-Existant" rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude076
What format are your pics in? Digital? If so let us know and we can "walk" you through the process. If they are "paper" copies, you will have to convert them to a digital format. Any photo store can do them. Most of the photo machines in the local drug store, grocery store, etc. can also convert them to digital. Waiting for your reply.
heyjude076, lets see if these pixs make it, they haven't been resized unless the process is automatic. TJN
Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 PM
tjn/56nomad

posting pixs

Well guys, I'm still tryin! Went to "photo Gallery", went to "managing" whatever, loaded photos, waiting till "processing" ended. M essage says "no images loaded". Whats the deal? Thanks, TJN
Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Streetbeast's reputation with rodders was earned, not created. It's now up to current buyers to do something to change the perception that Streetbeast has cultivated for themselves.

Everyone knows that bad news travels 100 times faster than good news, so ya'll have alot of work to do if you want to change some of that perception...on your nickel.

They will never be considered a replica though, unless they do a drastic changeover of the product, and will remain classified as kit cars, like those MGs on VW pans and Shay roadsters built from the best parts of a Pinto.

Later, mikey
You know some months ago I swore I would never post on this forum again after pretty much getting attacked on here when showing many pictures of my build from back during the 90's of my Classic Motor Carriages '34 Coupe. Problem is I still keep getting emails everytime someone posts to this thread. I shake my head at some of the crap I read here about Street Beasts. Are they the perfect company out there? No, I don't believe so? But who is? I agree that both Classic Motor Carriages and Fiberfab made a bad name for themselves back during the 80's and 90's. They tried to sell off of an empty shelf so to say and advertised a car they claimed was easy to build in TV Advertisements as well as in Car Magazines. Some who remember my posts know that at one point during my build during the 90's, Classic Motor Carriages went out of business. Being I did not get all of my parts needed to finish the body the 70% finished car sat in my Pole Barn for a number of years. Finally with the advent of Street Beasts taking over the company I was able to get those parts I needed.

I have to agree here with Centerline although I don't agree with everything he has to say about this Car but Centerline is right in that the '34 SB or CMC Coupe is not a easy build. With my backround of being an owner in the auto parts business now over 31 years and being a car guy since the late 60's I agree that most everyday Joe's can not build this car. You definitely need some knowledge and the right tools to actually build any Street Rod or so called kit car. You need to know how to weld and do body work among many other things. These cars just don't bolt or snap together as some may think. This is the Main reason so many kits are found out there to be unfinished selling on Ebay or elsewhere. As far as the quality of the fiberglass or frame that I received goes I have had no problem with either. The price was right for me at the time for both frame and glass body. Although I ordered mine as a kit I basically received only the body and frame parts. I was remimbursed for all parts CMC didn't ship to me at the time and of course many aftermarket parts are needed to build this car that just don't come in a kit. The figerglass was very thick and to me as good as the fiberglass on my '67 and '73 Corvette Coupes. I have owned the body and frame now 17 years. Sure there are some stress cracks in the fiberglass but no different then I saw over the years in the many Corvette's that I have owned or still own. Afterall it is fiberglass. Am I happy with the Car I built? Absolutely! Its one of the coolest cars I've ever driven. Do people stop and look when I drive down the street? I would say its about even to when I am driving my '67 Corvette Coupe around. Has anyone ever said anything bad about my car to my face when showing it? Never! Many go crazy over the car and ask me if it is for sale. I decided once again to post a few pictures here to make up for the many I deleted back in December.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
The figerglass was very thick and to me as good as the fiberglass on my '67 and '73 Corvette Coupes. I have owned the body and frame now 17 years. Sure there are some stress cracks in the fiberglass but no different then I saw over the years in the many Corvette's that I have owned or still own. Afterall it is fiberglass.
A properly laminated and reinforced fiberglass part does not stress crack on it's own, from normal use. Improper installation, poor laminate design for the application, higher than 60% normal resin content by weight, localized stresses such as flex areas with cut corners (stress risers),and mounting points will cause stress cracks.

Resin by itself, with a sparse fiber content, has very little tensile strength, too much resin will crack, just like paint that is too thick.
An excessively thick part means little to it's strength if there is too much resin in it to make it thick.

The Corvettes I worked on had alot of resin and filler, (it is necessary to get the 2 peice molds filled properly, without voids), and not near as much glass fiber as they should have , given the amount of resin.

As I said before, a Corvette is a poor comparison to a part laid up in an open mold, as just about every low volume body/kit car manufacturer uses.

Later, mikey

Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
You are exactly right,

I actually spend more time with my other customers than I spend with Jay.

Jay doesn't call me weekly or even daily like some of my customers do, nor does he constantly send me e-mails that I am supposed to reply to immediately because he is right in the middle of hanging a door and needs to know a specific measurement of an angle.

No, Jay is not like most of my customers.

And Jay has never asked me to come see his car because it only 250 miles away (like a customer in Daytona did) on my weekend and on my own time, just so I could show him some tricks to building it.

There are limits to what one man can accomplish and every night I go to bed knowing that even if I cannot help them with everything that they talk to me about, I have done my best by my customers.

And I truly doubt that any of the previous guys in Tech Support for Street Beast could make that claim.

I don't sit around all day waiting for the phone to ring either, every day I spend most of my day actually building our cars in house for customers, That is my other job. Something I might add that the previous tech reps for street beast never did. I build daily so that when I finally sit down at the end of the day to answer calls on how to build these cars I'm not reading out of a manual, I'm speaking from experience and from the heart.

I know our cars can be built and I know what it takes to build them compared to other cars and even other kits, and they are no better and no worse than anything I have built in my lifetime.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have tried to stay out of this thread, as I have no experience with this type of build, but feel I must say this.........

GC.......Your company advertises this car as easy to build......yet, you have just stated that some customers call or email you constantly.....Doesn't that tell you something about how easy this car is to build?....If it was so easy you should not be getting these calls. It just proves the false advertising aspect of the thread, in my opinion anyways.

Back to silently reading this thread.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I have tried to stay out of this thread, as I have no experience with this type of build, but feel I must say this.........

It just proves the false advertising aspect of the thread, in my opinion anyways.

Back to silently reading this thread.
I'll second that, and I'd like to add that I'm starting to see what I see as a "borderline" attempt at more stealth marketing. I mean, why else brag about how "stellar" the service is and how you "work on building those same cars all day"? Seems like an attempt at marketing by way of making you "one of the guys" if you follow. Kinda adds the human element into a purchase, and believe me, that will help future sales. I may be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing. Maybe I'm just being cynical....

In a while, Chet.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

Chet n Poncho,

The level of complexity that you both are opining as false advertising really is the need by the builder/purchaser to both have the knowledge of how to weld and how to lay fiberglass. I will agree, not everyone has the skills to do this. Presently, I don't have the skills, but am willing to learn so that my father and I can build this car. It's with this attitude that both of us are going forward.

Simply put, I don't know the definition of "I quit."

The proverbial "You" as the potential buyer/builder need to know whether or not you want to get this deeply involved prior to making the purchase.

Thanks,

Jay K.

ps. FFAS23, What is your tire combo in both the front and back? Are you using 17 inch wheels in the back? I'm looking for both an aggressive rake and a tire that fills the rear fender.

pps. Does anyone have a line on good used Lincoln or Miller welders?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Right or wrong, it'd be kind of hard for any employee of SB to come here and say anything positive about the company and not have it be considered borderline advertising.

As a guy who held the much the same position as grandpa cobra in another fiberglass manufacturing company, I can see how hard it is to try to be viewed as an unbiased source of information on a board like this..

If he is taking tech calls and helping folks, (which no one seems to be disputing), then I would say that the guy is making at least a small difference in a big company with a bad reputation.

But that's just my opinion.

I'd really like an opportunity to go check out a new kit, in progress, but I'm not going to Texas or Fla or Illinois to do it. The last one I worked on, (which did not impress me at all) is now 3 years old.

Later, mikey

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.