StreetBeast rod kit's - Page 82 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I pop in from time to time just to catch the latest episode. Amazing to me the drivel that still gets tossed in this thread. While in another that was just started from a builder of brand Y, that's "Loosely" based on a 33, everyone is swooning all over it.

Kinda hypicritical to pick and choose what elements to pick on and then discard when you choose to.
First it's not close enough to original, but Y is? then quality, then marketing, then service, then support.

Just helps prove my point of some posters here, it's all personal against SB.

And now like another, back to silently reading this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho
I pop in from time to time just to catch the latest episode. Amazing to me the drivel that still gets tossed in this thread. While in another that was just started from a builder of brand Y, that's "Loosely" based on a 33, everyone is swooning all over it.

Kinda hypicritical to pick and choose what elements to pick on and then discard when you choose to.
First it's not close enough to original, but Y is? then quality, then marketing, then service, then support.

Just helps prove my point of some posters here, it's all personal against SB.

And now like another, back to silently reading this thread.
As one of the most vocal critics of Streetbeast I have not said one word about the other "33" purchase. My personal opinion is that Factory Five is an excellent company with a stellar reputation which is about as far from Streetbeast as you can get. Do I like their 33. No I don't. Its too much like the "Boydster" if you ask me. Will it be a marketing success for them? Only time will tell.

But here's the big difference between the two. Factory Five has never been shut down for fraud and opened up the next day under a different name with the same ownership, management, sales staff, and product. Their reputation is among the best in the business and their is no argument in the automotive community as to their quality. The same statement can not be made about Streetbeast. In fact..... its quite the opposite.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I have tried to stay out of this thread, as I have no experience with this type of build, but feel I must say this.........

GC.......Your company advertises this car as easy to build......yet, you have just stated that some customers call or email you constantly.....Doesn't that tell you something about how easy this car is to build?....If it was so easy you should not be getting these calls. It just proves the false advertising aspect of the thread, in my opinion anyways.

Back to silently reading this thread.
Not necessarily,

for instance a lot of times I get asked for alternative ways of doing things.For instance today I got a call on motor/transmission mounts for a cobra, it seems the guy was using something other than what the book recommended and he wanted to know if what he had would work and what he could do to use them.

On another call I got I was asked for ways of mounting the grills in the side panels on a 34, something that the book doesn't cover because they were not made when I wrote it. I explained the different ways of attaching the side panel grills that I have tried and suggested one that I had not yet tried as well.

Sometimes guy just call to verify how things should be put together, just to make sure before they do that part of the build, in which case I tell them what I do and how I do it.

so it isn't always about weather the car is hard to build or not, most of the time it is about picking your (my)brain and finding out if they are doing things right or seeing if there are other ways to do things.

I have a number of customer that call just to let me know where they are at as well, one man who has a wife that has alzheimer's, calls me when he has the chance to work on it so that we can talk about what he is doing and how to do what he happens to be doing. I realise he probably doesn't need my help, and that the time he spends on his car is his release valve from taking care of his wife, and I'm honored to spend whatever time I can with him in those moments he gets to tinker with his car.

One more before I go, today I got a call from a man that was building a 34 that he had purchased from a CMC owner 12 years ago, he wanted to know how to mount the trunk handle. He actually had one with the kit, the early CMC cars had trunk handle, but the second versions did not, so I verified that he had a second version and told him it wasn't necessary.

He still wanted to use it, He wanted to use the trunk handle because he wanted to be able to lift the trunk lid so we talked about how the trunk handle could be mounted to the trunk and yet release the latch in the body, he wanted to run a cable through the trunk around the body to the latch and I suggested using a micro switch on the handle to activate a solenoid.

Of course I do get calls from people that are having difficulties, some are simple misunderstandings, some are self inflicted, and some are issues I do my best to correct, but most of my calls are from people that either need a push in the right direction or want to know if they are doing things right.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
Chet n Poncho,

The level of complexity that you both are opining as false advertising really is the need by the builder/purchaser to both have the knowledge of how to weld and how to lay fiberglass. I will agree, not everyone has the skills to do this. Presently, I don't have the skills, but am willing to learn so that my father and I can build this car. It's with this attitude that both of us are going forward.

Simply put, I don't know the definition of "I quit."

The proverbial "You" as the potential buyer/builder need to know whether or not you want to get this deeply involved prior to making the purchase.

Thanks,

Jay K.

ps. FFAS23, What is your tire combo in both the front and back? Are you using 17 inch wheels in the back? I'm looking for both an aggressive rake and a tire that fills the rear fender.
pps. Does anyone have a line on good used Lincoln or Miller welders?
JGK95, When I built my car during the 90's I used a set of 255/60-R15 BF Goodrich T/A Radials in the back mounted on 15"x7" wheels and in the front 205/60-R14 BF Goodrich T/A's mounted to 14"x6" wheels. At the time the big wheel 17" Craze was not happening. To each his own today as I still like the old look better with plenty of sidewall tire showing. Todays look on Cars and trucks coming out of the factory sitting on the newer bigger wheels such as the 17" and taller with wide but skinny tires never looked right to me. I still can't get use to that look even today with maybe 2 inches of tire between the road and the wheel. Being in the automotive parts business I see plenty of these wheels all mangled up at some of the repair shops I sell to that hit a pothole on N.J. roads. People get sick when they see what they need to shell out for a new replacement wheel something they may of been avoided I feel with the older bigger and taller wall tires and a smaller wheel. Just my opinion.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 AM
tjn/56nomad

streetbeasts

Pixs? TJN
Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjn
Pixs? TJN
TJN, I don't think most members here know of what you are looking for here with your last post. If (Pixs) means you want to see pictures of my car look back at post #1209 where I posted 3 pictures. If it means something else or is addressed to someone else you need to explain yourself a little better here as no one else answered your post. I am just guessing you are refering to pictures of my car since I answered JGK95's post above about the tires I used in my build during the 90's.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 PM
tjn/56nomad

pixs

Fred, I am trying to POST pixs, sorry for the confusion. TJN
Old 06-21-2009, 06:26 PM
tjn/56nomad

post pixs?

Guys, here we go again!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

TJN,

Relax man. Take your time and if you have to, go to photobucket.com, create an account there and link your photos back to your thread. I'm sure you can figure that out. I, for one, am looking forward to your photos.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 PM

Last journal entry: 1
Last photo:

Hi, I am new here so bear with me if I say something not politically correct, I am in the process of building a street-beast 41 Willy's. First of all, I need to let you know that I have been doing body work (including fiberglass work) for 27 years, I currently run a full time collision repair shop as well as a private hot rod shop. I tell you this so that you will know that I am not a stranger to very difficult work and major challenges. I have to admit that I am somewhat shocked at the street-beast body, and the frame work on the inside. My first problem was the permanently attached front fenders. unless you can guarantee me that there will be zero flex in the chassis, then there is going to be stress cracks..... add my blown 540 and I'm sure the chassis is going to flex even with my added improvements. so I cut the fenders off, built flanges and bolted them to the body like they should be. I feel really good about my newly corrected fenders they turned out great!
Then I installed the hood (DAMN) It flat doesn't fit, it fits the fenders OK but it didn't fit the cowl/firewall at all. I had to cut the hood down the center from end to end, and widen it in the rear (at the fire wall) 3/4" just to get it within workable range. ( good thing I'm not sending a bill for labor) 18 frustrated hours so far in the hood to get it close( no body work yet.) then I noticed that the body line on the hood side's slope way up and don't follow the belt line of the car ( as if the nose on the car was to high) I checked my fenders and re-measured and the front end is correct, the hood is not. now I have to cut the hood sides and pancake the hood in order to correct the body lines. lot's and lot's of work. I guarantee this car is going to be bad ***, but I also guarantee its allot more work then I was planning on! hope it gets better. I will continue to post as I proceed with this car.********* Please let me know if your not interested in this post and I will not continue.*********
Old 11-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

welcome...very interested....post some pics if you can or better yet, start you own project journal
Old 11-22-2009, 01:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-lid
Hi, I am new here so bear with me if I say something not politically correct, I am in the process of building a street-beast 41 Willy's. First of all, I need to let you know that I have been doing body work (including fiberglass work) for 27 years, I currently run a full time collision repair shop as well as a private hot rod shop. I tell you this so that you will know that I am not a stranger to very difficult work and major challenges. I have to admit that I am somewhat shocked at the street-beast body, and the frame work on the inside. My first problem was the permanently attached front fenders. unless you can guarantee me that there will be zero flex in the chassis, then there is going to be stress cracks..... add my blown 540 and I'm sure the chassis is going to flex even with my added improvements. so I cut the fenders off, built flanges and bolted them to the body like they should be. I feel really good about my newly corrected fenders they turned out great!
Then I installed the hood (DAMN) It flat doesn't fit, it fits the fenders OK but it didn't fit the cowl/firewall at all. I had to cut the hood down the center from end to end, and widen it in the rear (at the fire wall) 3/4" just to get it within workable range. ( good thing I'm not sending a bill for labor) 18 frustrated hours so far in the hood to get it close( no body work yet.) then I noticed that the body line on the hood side's slope way up and don't follow the belt line of the car ( as if the nose on the car was to high) I checked my fenders and re-measured and the front end is correct, the hood is not. now I have to cut the hood sides and pancake the hood in order to correct the body lines. lot's and lot's of work. I guarantee this car is going to be bad ***, but I also guarantee its allot more work then I was planning on! hope it gets better. I will continue to post as I proceed with this car.********* Please let me know if your not interested in this post and I will not continue.*********
Welcome to the forum. Plenty have complained on this forum about SB,CMC and Fiberfab. CMC and Fiberfab came well before Street Beast who eventually took over from CMC (Classic Motor Carriages). Don't worry you are not saying anything that isn't politically correct here. Most members here hate SB. In my case doing a CMC '34 Coupe back in the 90's I am one of the exceptions. Yes I had problems along the way but knowing what I know now after building mine trust me it would be much easier to do another 2nd time around. All I can say is I am a happy customer none-the-less with my ride still til today. I don't care who knocks it on this forum because I have yet to hear it from anyone out on the Street. As I said before on this forum I get as many looks at my '34 Coupe when driving it as I do with my '67 Corvette Coupe. If I had to do it over again I might try an easier route depending on price because the CMC or SB car was not a easy build if you were to ask me. There are things the company could have done to make things easier. One of them would of been to have the doors already mounted to the body as some company's out there already do to their glass bodies. Trust me one person can not mount a door properly by himself. That was my biggest problem when building mine. Fit and finish on mine wasn't perfect although I give it a passing grade but how many glass bodies available out there at the time were any better. I haven't seen many. The Chevrolet Corvette has permanently mounted fiberglass fenders as well so it never crossed my mind that having permanently mounted glass fenders on the CMC, SB car made any diffence other then this company did things differently. I haven't had all the stress cracks you claim could happen by the way. Don't get me wrong there are some stress cracks in my Fiberglass body. There were some in the body even before I mounted it to the frame to be honest with you. Then again there are some stress cracks in my '67 Corvette I should point out also. I never saw a Fiberglass car without them. If you go back to post #1209 I left a few pictures here of my CMC build started in '92. Hopefully you will end up as happy with your car as I am with mine. Good luck with your build.

Last edited by ffas23; 11-22-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-lid

Sounds like alot of work but should be worth it.

Please posts up some pics.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Last journal entry: 1
Last photo:

I created the beginning of a journal, The pictures are not the greatest but will have to do for now.

And you are right it will be very well worth the effort. thanks for your reply.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Experience with Streetbeasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm605
I am planning on building my 1st street rod. The StreetBeast kit's look interesting. Anyone have any experience/references with these? Thanks. Don
I can't believe it's been 82 pages since the first "post" in 2001. Don, if you're still out there (and others who have the same question), here's some more up to date info directly from those with experience:

Check out the comments section of this link:
Street Beasts Comments Section

Re: StreetBeast
by Bruce Houghton
I have a 67 year old broken heart. December 5,2007, I order the 34 Ford Coup($5,000.00 down) and waited. Many phone calls with many excuses for answers, I finally get the letter. Feburary 24, 2008, Bob Southern, StreetBeasts.
"Due to the current economy, we are down sizing our 50,000 square foot factory. If you don't pay the remaining $10,475.87 within 90 days from the date of this letter..."
WELL, you can guess the rest. Bye bye $5,000.00.
Sad, sad day.
Bruce Houghton
Markham Ontario,
Canada

Mar 13th, 2009 @ 11:51amRe: Re: StreetBeast
by neil saulnier
Hi.I also just got the same letter about paying the balance for my car. Deposit paid in July /August 08 recieved letter March 13,2009. Pay balance $12,445.00 within 90 days or loose it. Neil Saulnier Nova Scotia Canada

I hope this is helpful....anyone have recent positive experiences with purchasing from Streetbeasts since they downsized their 50,000 square foot operation?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.