StreetBeast rod kit's - Page 87 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 04:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

streetbeasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
I know exactly what most of the posters here are saying. After I purchased part of my kit in '92 from Classic Motor Carriages I started hearing more and more about people getting screwed where they paid in cash and never got what they paid for. Kit Car Magazine was the first to speak up about this then before many of us were ever on a computer and the internet. I purchased my kit by Credit Card in stages. I ordered just the frame first and when done with that I then ordered the body and body parts. The last shipment of the body came with me finding many parts to be missing. Never got the bumpers or crappy grill which I didn't intend on using either anyway. Didn't get the gages I ordered. No big deal as I bought better ones in the aftermarket. A/C package was suppose to come with mine as aggreed but didn't. Plenty of things were missing that were suppose to be in my kit. I had no choice but to dispute the charges for everything missing. My credit card company at the time let me give them a list of what was missing. They gave Classic Motor Carriages plenty of time to make good but they didn't. When they didn't I deducted from the amount owed what the missing parts were worth. We had a settlement and I didn't have to pay for anything I didn't receive. I basically got just the body and frame and some other components needed to mount the body to the frame like other fiberglass parts that needed to be glassed in and other metal parts needing to be welded to the frame. There were other parts I still needed that I could not get anywhere else that I knew of at the time. I ended up building my car up to about 70% and then it just sat in my pole barn from '95 on as other things also got in my way. I didn't hear of Street Beast taking over Classic Motor Carriages although I saw some Street Beast advertisements in Magazines and other places maybe as early as '98 or '99. I actually found out about the takeover in maybe late '01 or '02 and contacted them to buy what I still needed to complete my build. The new outfit seemed to be pretty good to me at the time and shipped me what I needed. I might of spend maybe another $500 with them for the things I needed and as I mentioned earlier most other things needed came from the aftermarket or from Donor cars.

To sum it all up I got back to working on my car in late '03 and it was finished by June of '04 and I am very happy with it. Runs great and a joy to drive. Looks good as I get plenty of thumbs up on the road. If I had to do it all over again I would probably look elsewhere the 2nd time around especially after hearing that there were more problems with SB similiar to problems with Fiber Fab and Classic Motorcarriages years before.
Well streetbeast did not buy out or takeover CMC, just like CMC did not buy or take over Fiberfab, they were just name changes, Sadly we have laws that companies do pretty much what they want, and the people that get screwed have little if no recourse, I have had my CMC for over 20 years. if you go back a couple of pages you will see why. A lot of people just don't like the car, of those it is the way they look. When I got mine, They had no frame or any parts from the car, just the body. It was a pretty nice looking body, I had a guy with me that did a lot of glass work, he thought it was a nice body. Now we were at a show of course they were going to have a nice body there. We settled on a price, they wanted so much down , but I would not pay it.I said I would come to FL and pick it up, with my big truck. Now to be fair to you and lots of other people, I was on the board of MSRA, and in charge of vendors at BTT50s, so they didn't short me anything, in fact I got 2 or 3 times on some stuff, I knew they were going to try and use me. I just played along while I built the car the way I wanted. The only reason I built this car was I had never built a fiberglass car before. Now my hands are to messed up to finish it myself, I have it setup to go in to get finished. I can still do work with bigger things, so this winter I will do that.
AS far as getting parts, there is not one thing I can think of that I need to get from them,Other than the body and frame there is nothing on my car I have used from them. The pictures I posted are the car with nothing fitted. I have had the car all together and fitted twice IT will not be done again until after paint.
I don't have a clue how many hours I have in this car, way more than any steel car I have built. Money wise when I get done, just a guess without adding up a the slips A good guess will be around $90,000, I have boxes of new parts that will go on it, most boxes have not been opened. To Give you an idea, the receiver I was going to put in it my wife bought me in 1992 an Alpine 7525 FM/AM Cassette Receiver with remote CD changer,CDs had not been out very long then, I think this model was 1 or 2 on the list, Receiver cost $1100.00 alone. Well I thought I had better use it so I put it in my 46 Ford Coupe, Along With 2 12" subs And a 900 watt Amp. And all kind of speakers inside. Just what a guy my age needs.
Anyway don't crash and you don't have to worry they will pop up again maybe.

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 04:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The interesting thing is that Lavin purchased Fiberfab International which was the original name of the company started by Warren Goodwin and made such cars (kits) as the Aztec, Valkyrie, Avenger, Centurion, Jamaican, and Banshee. I think there was an MG TD replica in there too but that may have been a CMC creation. Anyway, Mr. Goodwin sold the company to Lavin.

The Fiberfab International that Lavin purchased should not be confused with the current company Fiberfab US which still produces the Valkyrie (the Ford GT-40 style kit). Lavin thankfully did not purchase the rights or molds for this car. Along with the Myers Manx the Valkyrie was one of the classic fiberglass "kits" of the '60s. Its really too bad that Lavin's escapades have given the name Fiberfab such a bad connotation.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how it should be put together". - Tim Allen
Old 11-26-2010, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

streetbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
The interesting thing is that Lavin purchased Fiberfab International which was the original name of the company started by Warren Goodwin and made such cars (kits) as the Aztec, Valkyrie, Avenger, Centurion, Jamaican, and Banshee. I think there was an MG TD replica in there too but that may have been a CMC creation. Anyway, Mr. Goodwin sold the company to Lavin.

The Fiberfab International that Lavin purchased should not be confused with the current company Fiberfab US which still produces the Valkyrie (the Ford GT-40 style kit). Lavin thankfully did not purchase the rights or molds for this car. Along with the Myers Manx the Valkyrie was one of the classic fiberglass "kits" of the '60s. Its really too bad that Lavin's escapades have given the name Fiberfab such a bad connotation.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how it should be put together". - Tim Allen
I didn't know CMC bought Fiberfab, Then I never was into The kit cars much, thanks for the info, centerline.

Bob 35terraplane

Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you can't stop smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs
Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Was "Fiberfab" ever in Fremont California? I seem to remember a company there by that name when I was a kid.

Brian
Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Like Brian said, the car is just metal and fiberglass. Don't let anyone tell you parts from other cars won't work, I have Wescott front fenders on mine. And if I didn't say anything no one would know, Even if they still were making cars, if you got in a wreck, you would still have to graft a fender on it. or patch whatever got hit.

Bob
But aren't the SB fenders part of the body? You needed to cut them off and then make a mounting for Wescotts, or did you cut off the SB fenders leaving a lip and then bond the Wescotts on after cutting off the mounting from them?

Brian
Old 11-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Fiberfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Was "Fiberfab" ever in Fremont California? I seem to remember a company there by that name when I was a kid.

Brian
According to a Corvette site devoted to the Centurion, they were in Sunnyvale, Ca, but "Fiberfab" is now in Washington state - after reportedly being in Oregon for a while, and who knows where else?

In the pix, the Avenger and Valkyrie look fantastic - but:
a)staged photos will not be of the shoddy ones or the half-finished ones where someone gave up half-way through, and
b) how could any GT-40 look-alike fail to be gorgeous?

However, with all the shenanigans that have accompanied ANYTHING Fiberfab-related I would not take one free! (And to think, in the mid-70's I was SO in love with the Valkyrie that I almost ordered one!)

Last edited by Dave57210; 11-26-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-26-2010, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Sunnyvale is pretty close to Fremont, hmmmmm.

This is a Avenger or a Valkyrie? I would have called it an Avenger but was there a similar body with a different name? It was at the last Goodguys, I drooled over it for a while, I would love to have one.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3841.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	911.6 KB
ID:	50393   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3842.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	984.9 KB
ID:	50394   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3843.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	935.2 KB
ID:	50395  

Last edited by MARTINSR; 11-26-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Valkyrie

From the pix, it would be a Valkyrie. The Valkyrie was a "mid-engine" V8 kit, with a separate chassis, etc, while the look-alike Avenger was a new body for a VW, using the bug powerplant and floorpan etc.

I seem to recall (from reading the ads way back when) that you had to shorten the floorpan to make it all fit......

I just took a brief detour to evilbay and came across an original 1968 ad for the Avenger kit, which was being sold for $695, fob their factory in Santa Clara Calif.

Just do an e-bay search on keyword Fiberfab - no cars right now, but tons of "original, collectors literature" (original ads)

Last edited by Dave57210; 11-26-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

streetbeast

Quote:
But aren't the SB fenders part of the body? You needed to cut them off and then make a mounting for Wescotts, or did you cut off the SB fenders leaving a lip and then bond the Wescotts on after cutting off the mounting from them?

Brian
When you got the car, the fenders and body were separate, the four fenders and the running broads. You built the frame, then mounted the fenders to the frame. But me being me, I had to change things, the drivers side back fender and the running board where they came together, flared out 1" So I had to go into the fender and running broad and take 1" out of both of them, so I made pie cuts in both, then just a straight cut on both to relieve the strain, the pie cut was really pretty thin and long as I didn't want a big gap to fill.That is when I started widening the front fenders so they were not up in the air. Ok we buzzed through that then you fiberglass the body to the fenders, being I more or less had put my fenders at a rake, by changing body mounts I had to do somethings to glass the body and fenders. So now we notice that the front fenders are not the same, nothing we did, the mold must have been bad or some thing. One fender the slope going down towards the engine was nice and easy, the other came over the top of the fender and dropped like a rock. Not good, we had just spent two weeks on those fenders. A guy on each one, we just didn't notice. Well I found a pair of front fenders that were already widened 2" each, so then came out the tape, the math, and what ever to get these to graft on to what we had. Brian we did it some what like you said, if I read your post right. What we wanted or I wanted was to butt the two together no over lap we measured how far out from about three points that were in the middle of the car and on each side on the frame.we went back on the running broad and found the same width as the Wescott fenders, so when I was sure we could screw it up good, we took a sawsall with a very fine blade and started cutting.we had it all taped up with masking tape so we could follow it. With that done, we cut the Wescott fender. Now I wanted to put the cuts end to end, but we needed support so I took a thin blade on a grinder and made a cut so when we were done we would have a cut on both sides, that would fit into each other. at the running broad we clapped them together, we got them all braced up put both on before we glassed anything, then started glassing. Right or wrong we got them together, we did both sides top and bottom, and they are a strong bond. The guy that helped me had been using glass for years I was just the student, and doing all the yelling. You won't believe how I fit that grille shell in, and all these pictures, the doors or trunk lid are not fitted the grill is just sitting there and the hood.

Bob

you do not need a parachute to skydive. you only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front end valley grille 3 JPG.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	50388   Click image for larger version

Name:	front end valley grille 2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	50389   Click image for larger version

Name:	side veiw 33.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	50390   Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers side 33.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	50391  
Old 11-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
From the pix, it would be a Valkyrie. The Valkyrie was a "mid-engine V8 kit, with a separate chassis, etc, while the look-alike Avenger was a new body for a VW, using the bug powerplant and floorpan etc I seem to recall from reading the ads way back when that you had to shorten the floorpan to make it all fit......

I just took a brief detour to eveilbay and came across an original 1968 ad for the Avenger kit, which was being sold for $695, fob their factory in Santa Clara Calif
AAHHHHHH, the V8 version! Yes, I have seen many VW cars and didn't think that the Valkryie for V8s would be quite a different body mounting at least) and looking at these photos it sure is! They wanted $4500 for it as I remember. Pretty neat project for the money if you ask me. Again, with todays tires and brakes and some chassis work you could make one heck of a car out of it.

There was a super nice virgin Sterling out behind a used car lot near me for years.

It was never finished, still in original gelcoat and really made me tingly all over. I dig those cars, I looked into if it was for sale and could never get in touch of the person who really owned it. But damn that would have been a cool driver.

Brian
Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
When you got the car, the fenders and body were separate, the four fenders and the running broads. You built the frame, then mounted the fenders to the frame.
Bob
HUH? Every one I have ever seen has the fenders all moulded in one piece with the body. Was yours a super early one or something?

Brian

Click here for lots of photos of a SB body.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:

Brian
I don't know if they had an office there or not, but it is likely as the Goodwin family lived in Los Gatos, Calif. I do know they (CMC) had a large facility just down the road from me in Fla. shortly after they had purchased Fiberfab International. CMC didn't produce most of the cars Fiberfab had created as Lavin wanted more of a "hot rod" company. Some of the cars Fiberfab designed were very good for the time too.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

The most important things you learn are those things you learn AFTER you know it all. -- Chip Foose
Old 11-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

My 34 CMC body was one piece..
Old 11-26-2010, 10:20 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

Quote:
HUH? Every one I have ever seen has the fenders all moulded in one piece with the body. Was yours a super early one or something?

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
My 34 CMC body was one piece..
Mine was a one piece mold too.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Brian

I got mine I think it'e been 22 or 23 years ago, maybe i'm worse off than I thought. You might be right It was the floor we had to fiberglass to the body. The firewall on mine is different though I have a step in mine and the cowl sides stick out past the step more like a real one. I know they changed the wipers and put them down below. and I think they made some other changes. I will have to find the other pictures from when I started this I think they are black and white, color was just coming out. It was all done like I said, but the fenders to the body wasn't right

Bob

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.