Hot Rod Forum banner

StreetBeast rod kit's

404K views 1K replies 141 participants last post by  Gwinnetts 
#1 ·
I am planning on building my 1st street rod. The StreetBeast kit's look interesting. Anyone have any experience/references with these? Thanks. Don

#2 ·
I would recommend that you consult someone who builds street rods about the Street Beast kits.From what I have seen of these kits they appear to be very cheaply made.The best advice I could give would be to get lots of advice from people who have experience in building cars and use their experience and knowledge to your advantage.

#3 ·
Donald - check out Kit Car magazine's resources......they are many and wise. I've relied on them in the past and not been disappointed with my decision. Also, the is a local "cruise-in" every saturday nite at a local McDonald's which usually attracts 300-400 cars over the course of the event. I've talked with some of the owners of this brand; beware of the arts of photography and graphics........look very carefully and with honest realism to your abilities and time, you may save yourself quite a bit of each. I aree with custom car painter...

#4 ·
I will be blunt.They sell junk,flat out garbage and you will be laughed at. Sorta like the bayliner(boats ) of rodding. Sorry if anybody owns one but you know what i am talking about. They also have NO resale value. Hope this helps ,i hate to see someone get in over there head on this so called kits.I was very surprized to see crank and chrome doing one of these.But i guess they did a total perf t-bucket so.........my next most favorite ripe off car. Go hang around with some of the local rodders(builders not checkbook guys) listen listen listen.After a while ask some questions and they will get you in the ballpark with a unfinished rod to start with. Good luck and keep asking questions.

#5 ·
I agree with PHAT! If this is your first street rod project, go to a lot of street rod shows and rod runs first, take pictures and talk to builders, I mean "builders", not buyers. A good start is a T-bucket, No doors and no door glass, roof to contend with. They go like stink even with a stock engine! But buckets also have a Re-sale value that is limited, but what ever makes you happy! I usually research and actually go and look at the product or talk with someone who has used a part or product before buying it. BUYER BEWARE! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT!

#7 ·
I agree with PHAT too. I'm not into buckets, but find someone elses project that is fairly complete and as close as possible to what you want at completion, correct the previous owners blunders, and maybe you'll be able to finish it. Be realistic, if this is your first, don't dive in, go wading first. There is a reason there are so many unfinished projects around. Even things that are simple or seem real simple, end up taking more time and more money than expected if you are new to it.

#8 ·
I too must agree . . . I cringe every time I see an ad for Street Beats . . . I mean Street Beasts. I ran into a guy who had this misforture of buying a kit from Street Beasts . . . not a happy camper. Depending on where you live, and how much you are willing to spend, there are a few good manufactures that are top notch. I am currenty looking at the Viper 2 from Gibbon Fiberglass. It's chopped and channeled and looks pretty good. Good luck!

#9 ·
WELL I'M IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING A 1936 FORD 3 WINDOW COUPE FROM J.B. DONALSON I QUITE A BIT OF LOOKING FIRST BEFORE I ORDERED IT.

I HAVE CHATTED QUITE A FEW TIMES WITH J.B. HIMSELF AND HES VERY KNOWLEGABLE ABOUT FIBERGLASS AND STREET RODS IN GENERAL.

AS OF YET I HAVE NOT SEEN MY BODY SO I CAN'T SPEAK TO THAT ASPECT YET.
CHECK WITH ME IN ABOUT 4 MORE WEEKS FOR AN HONEST TESTAMONIAL OR HOWEVER YOU SPELL THAT!! WE NEED A SPELL CHECKER ON THIS WEB SITE LOL

BOMO

#10 ·
AND ONE MORE THING. I DON'T THINK MOST PEOPLE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH MONEY AND TIME IT TAKE TO DO A COMPLETE STREET ROD OF ANY KIND SAY NOTHING ABOUT ALL THE TALENT THATS NEEDED

WELDING
METAL FABRICATION
ELECTRICAL
MECHANICAL
PAINTING
APOLSTERY

JUST TO NAME A FEW

BOMO

#11 ·
Bomo . . . I would be interested to know if the body has steel reinforcement or even hard wood. I know that manufactures like Wescott has steel reinforced support structure over hand laminiated fiberglass.
I agree with your last posting. The costs and skills are high to do the job right.
Good luck with your project.

#12 ·
Greetings all,

I am one of those who actually purchased one of their kits. Call me crazy, call me stupid, what can I say.

I'd be the last to disagree with some of the comments made. Especially that it takes some time, money and some skills (or help from those with skills) to build one of these.

On the positive side, I have been having a blast since I started building it. I also know I couldn't afford to do it other ways.

I'm doing it for fun and only fun. I'm about 80% complete. It's taken longer and I have spent more than I planned, but I'm still enjoying it. I've documented the whole build process so far on my web site.

I know all about the history of the company. I know first hand about the quality of the product which in my opinion some of it is very good and some of it is not so good. But much of it is up to what the individual wants.

I have no regrets. If I build another rod I will be taking a different approach next time. But the learning experience this time around has been priceless.

So, if anyone is interested, please feel free to email me or visit my web site.

Joe..

jsantacroce@hvc.rr.com
<a href="http://home.hvc.rr.com/js34ford/" target="_blank">http://home.hvc.rr.com/js34ford/</a>

#1,406 ·
Greetings all,

I am one of those who actually purchased one of their kits. Call me crazy, call me stupid, what can I say.

I'd be the last to disagree with some of the comments made. Especially that it takes some time, money and some skills (or help from those with skills) to build one of these.

On the positive side, I have been having a blast since I started building it. I also know I couldn't afford to do it other ways.

I'm doing it for fun and only fun. I'm about 80% complete. It's taken longer and I have spent more than I planned, but I'm still enjoying it. I've documented the whole build process so far on my web site.

I know all about the history of the company. I know first hand about the quality of the product which in my opinion some of it is very good and some of it is not so good. But much of it is up to what the individual wants.

I have no regrets. If I build another rod I will be taking a different approach next time. But the learning experience this time around has been priceless.

So, if anyone is interested, please feel free to email me or visit my web site.

Joe..

jsantacroce@hvc.rr.com
<a href="http://home.hvc.rr.com/js34ford/" target="_blank">http://home.hvc.rr.com/js34ford/</a>
Looking for assembly manual from street beasts on 34 coupe 3 window. Please advise.

#13 ·
I realy hate to knock a product but I must tell you that while the Street Beast does appear to offer a reasonable intery level into street rodding, it has too many dissadvantages to be considered a good investment. I can recall a fairly recent rodding article where some "magazine" gurus were going to build an economical rod using an older kit car which turned out to be a Street Beast. To make a long story short they ended up scraping the old Street Beast and staring over with an intirely different car due to the severe limitations of the Street Beast.
You would be well advised to look at some of the better quality kits offered out there and unfortunately most do not offer turn key finnished products. This is not all bad as it allows you to "build" your rod to your tastes with an abundance of options.
There are some realy nice choices in car bodies and frames out there so please shop around and check out the body manufactureres of some of the rides featured in magaines such as Street rodder etc.
Hope this dosen't dampen your enthusiasm to build a rod, its the greatest thing thing going, but I just want you to get off on the right foot.

#14 ·
Just a couple of thoughts for those people that did buy there kits. Now these are things i have personal had to fix for 2 guys that bought them. First before you do any painting of the frame have all the welds checked by a good weldor.I have seen first hand the welds on this car and most would not pass a DMV inspection. on the stangII front struts break(i would upgrade to a full tubular lower a-frame with out the strut) Next would be the mount on the upper coil over ,it is barely strong eneogh for a shock and the coil over will bend and break it.The body mounts to the cowl are very weak and make a teriable noise if you dont figure out a better way to mount it.There are many more problems with this car but it would take 3 pages to post.If you got one well your in over your head now anyway.One question ???Would you be ordering another one??? Buy a quality body and start with a new set of rails and go from there.Sorry just dont want to see someone else make a big mistake.In the end this car is NOT a safe car!! I would not want my wife or kids riding in it.But there are only 2 glass bodies out there that i would.

#15 ·
To follow on what bomo added: Kit Car magazine or Kit Car Illustrated did a story (series actually) of budgeting and planning a project.
They even covered tools and consumables.
Addresses are www.kitcarillustrated.com.
I thought it was well presented and honest writing.
My personal opinion is that you should start with a completed or nearly completed project instead of beginning at ground zero. There are plenty to pick from no matter where you live.
Good Luck with your project!

#16 ·
I just love listening to you guys about how bad streetbeast are build; or was it how hard it is to build one? I am currently in the process of completing a streetbeast. Granted it has taken me about 15 months, however it isn't my full time project. I have looked at Outlaw,Gibbons, and Downs bodies. There isn't a Fiberglas body out there that doesn't require modifications. I don't uderstand where the problem is on the frame. I am running a blown 327 Chevy with 500hp and it can take all that and some! As for the strut rods, I cut them out (took me over 30 minutes each with a cutoff wheel). I find it hard to believe they could break so easy. I converted to a Heidt SS front end, just for preference and looks. Sure there are problems in buiding a kit. However, if you want doors, hood, truck etc. hung, just buy a car that is done. As for me I like the challege of building a rod.

#17 ·
I have contacted the Better Business Bureau about Street Beasts at bbb.com, and I was astonished to find out they have had no complaints against them and are in good standing with the BBB.

I would suggest that if some of out members have had poblems with Street Beasts, they contact the Better Business Bureau and let them know about it so everyone will have access to that information.

Just a thought.

#18 ·
I purchased the '34 coupe kit last Sept., and have found it to be a quality product. It is perfect for someone who is building their first car, as I am. The people at Streetbeasts have been very helpfull. When I took my car in to be painted, the body shop said it was one of the best quility fiberglass kit car bodies they have seen. Every part that I have installed has fit as advertised. I have found that building a car costs way more than you figure it is going to,
and it is true that there are some modifications that must be made. :)

#19 ·
The BBB is a laughable.Ask them what a street rod is.How many people get riped off every day and the BBB never gets a call.Comparing a Outlaw,Gibbons, Downs bodies to a beast is like comparing a rusted out Vega to a brand new Jag.You cant possably beleive the that they are even close.I have no grip with the company(i dont nor will i ever own one)but i do build cars and see the diff.There IS a BIG diff.For the first time buyer you still would be better off cost wise ,resale wise and safety wise to buy some ones half finished rod. Come back here when you go to sell your beast,got to be something to why they bring NO money when sold used .I have seen them takin apart because they were worth more in parts than together(total performance t-buckets are another one)If you injoy it ....so be it.If your looking to build/buy a rod take some one with you that has been into rods for a while.This was meant more for the people thinking about buying one than trying to cut your car down.Sorry if i have offended you.As far as susie cutting out the strut rods,i dont know why it was so hard they unbolt. :D (i know you meant the bracket,we knocked one off with a hammer it was so poorly welded.) ;) Hey Susie blown 327 puttin 500HP,i think maybe they were pullin your leg.Blown 388 stroker on the dyno the other nite 490 real hp on 104 oct. (of coarse the guy that owns it will probably tell everbody its 700HP LOL )It also smells a little funny ,your a builder from the gulf coast???? Only 1 post??? Maybe you are connected to the product????

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: Phat ]</p>

#20 ·
I would like to make 2 points:
The quality of any kit car is directly related to how effort has been put into constructing it properly with quality parts.
If you exceed the recommended specs ie. putting a 500hp big block in a frame designed for a 300hp small block( as streetbeasts are) and then taking it to the drags, you will have problems with any kit car. :p

#22 ·
2 Things Mike.. You hit on the very thing wrong with the beast ,its a kit car NOT a rod(After you have built a few cars you will know the diff at first glance).The car does NOT have a inner steel cage for roll over nor should you beleive that it is safe to do so.The steel that is welded to the frame(Its NOT a cage)is because the body would fall off the car without it and you would NEVER get the doors opened or closed(they saved huge amounts of money buy building a skin car,NOT a body). I think the only way i can explain it is ,take a brandnew outlaw body and drop it off a 2-3 story building,it will have some damage but all and all it will still be usable.Take your beast body(no steel now just the body) and do the same .What do you thing will be left ;) Dust pan anybody. Sorry to be so blunt but people need to know a beast is NOT a streetrod,its a KIT CAR(and not a very good one at that).As i said there is a BIG diff.The beast is targeted toward the first time buyer that is not very informed on what it takes to build or own a rod.Sorry just want people to know you gets what you pay for. :D

#23 ·
I've sat and watched this getting tossed around and have some thoughts of my own to add. You can open a lot of rodder mags and find their kits advertised. They are cheaper to buy than any others out there. I have yet to see any street rod supplier sell their product that is well known and reputable. I have been around long enough to know you get what you pay for and if they were such a good deal everyone would want to sell them. I also beleive there is a place for them in our hobby for the person who decides that is what they want to build so long as they know what they are getting. If they rate it for 300hp then leave it at that otherwise you will have problems and I would guess it wouldn't be safe. I'm thinking about me and my family when I meet you coming down the road. As far as welds are concernd if you are not a good welder and know what you are looking at you don't have a clue, a mig welder will make any weld look good, it's very easy to cold lap welds with a mig and have them look great. The other thing is metal thickness if it's not heavy enough the best weld in the world won't help when things start tearing apart next to the welds.phat is very opinionated on this subject and I think his heart is in the right place,he works as a rodder and knows alot about chassis and suspension the backbone of any car. 33-34 Fords are my all time favorite and when or if I get the chance to build one it won't be a street beast. There are several quality builders to choose from and they will get my business because I want a quality ride when I'm done

#24 ·
To the gentleman who checked with the BBB for a history on Street Beasts. There is none. You have to check one of their previous names like Classic Motor Carriages, or FiberFab. This company has a long history of ripping off its customers and is currently operating only under the supervision of the Florida Attorney Generals Office. Check the link below to review their case file.

<a href="http://legall.firm.edu/lit_ec.nsf/2c8e275c590c080e852563cc0010d6bc/c87f5ece31bb5fd385256333005c8d1f?OpenDocument" target="_blank">Florida Attorney General Case File</a>

The biggest problem with their kits is not the quality, it’s the fidelity to what they're supposed to represent. There are few if any parts made for a 33 Ford that will fit a Street Beast kit. When parked next to a real on they appear like a poor carbon copy of the original. It's pretty bad when you spend hundreds of hours building a kit only to find that most of the rest of the street rod community considers them toys.

#25 ·
Darn Bill if you are not correct.. Now i remember all the crap that went down with both companys.Ladies and gentelman stay as far away from this company as you can!!!!!!! When they were fiberfab they made some of the biggest piles of .....well you know what i am talkin about. I beleive there may be a few hundred un useable cobra bodies laying around that this company riped people off on. Thanks again Bill!!! Fla has some real screwy laws about going bankrupt and coming back the next day as some one else.

#26 ·
Bill is very correct regarding the prior history of the company. I have spoken directly with the Asst. District Attorney for Florida handling the case.

Their sales practices are still the pits but they haven't screwed anybody lately, if that means anything. What I mean is under the new company (Innovative Street Machines / StreetBeasts) the State of Florida has not had any complaints as of late last year when I spoke with them. The new company was also making good on a number of the prior claims but they still had a long way to go on that one.

Regardless, I would agree that it's not for everyone. In fact, it's not for many. But I have learned so much and had so much fun since I started building mine. In my area there are very few rods (or Kits for that matter) on the roads except when GoodGuys comes every September. Many people wouldn't have a clue what it is but still think it looks great.

For me, it's fun. Period. I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into. I'm not looking to sell it and make money. Would I do it again knowing what I know now, no. But no regrets here.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.