StreetBeast rod kit's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2001, 08:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post StreetBeast rod kit's

I am planning on building my 1st street rod. The StreetBeast kit's look interesting. Anyone have any experience/references with these? Thanks. Don

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2001, 04:25 AM

I would recommend that you consult someone who builds street rods about the Street Beast kits.From what I have seen of these kits they appear to be very cheaply made.The best advice I could give would be to get lots of advice from people who have experience in building cars and use their experience and knowledge to your advantage.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:46 AM

Wink

Donald - check out Kit Car magazine's resources......they are many and wise. I've relied on them in the past and not been disappointed with my decision. Also, the is a local "cruise-in" every saturday nite at a local McDonald's which usually attracts 300-400 cars over the course of the event. I've talked with some of the owners of this brand; beware of the arts of photography and graphics........look very carefully and with honest realism to your abilities and time, you may save yourself quite a bit of each. I aree with custom car painter...
Old 11-06-2001, 07:25 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

I will be blunt.They sell junk,flat out garbage and you will be laughed at. Sorta like the bayliner(boats ) of rodding. Sorry if anybody owns one but you know what i am talking about. They also have NO resale value. Hope this helps ,i hate to see someone get in over there head on this so called kits.I was very surprized to see crank and chrome doing one of these.But i guess they did a total perf t-bucket so.........my next most favorite ripe off car. Go hang around with some of the local rodders(builders not checkbook guys) listen listen listen.After a while ask some questions and they will get you in the ballpark with a unfinished rod to start with. Good luck and keep asking questions.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:01 PM

I agree with PHAT! If this is your first street rod project, go to a lot of street rod shows and rod runs first, take pictures and talk to builders, I mean "builders", not buyers. A good start is a T-bucket, No doors and no door glass, roof to contend with. They go like stink even with a stock engine! But buckets also have a Re-sale value that is limited, but what ever makes you happy! I usually research and actually go and look at the product or talk with someone who has used a part or product before buying it. BUYER BEWARE! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT!
Old 11-24-2001, 05:14 PM

Pure 100% Crap. Street fecies. Nuff said.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:22 PM

Exclamation

I agree with PHAT too. I'm not into buckets, but find someone elses project that is fairly complete and as close as possible to what you want at completion, correct the previous owners blunders, and maybe you'll be able to finish it. Be realistic, if this is your first, don't dive in, go wading first. There is a reason there are so many unfinished projects around. Even things that are simple or seem real simple, end up taking more time and more money than expected if you are new to it.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:35 PM

I too must agree . . . I cringe every time I see an ad for Street Beats . . . I mean Street Beasts. I ran into a guy who had this misforture of buying a kit from Street Beasts . . . not a happy camper. Depending on where you live, and how much you are willing to spend, there are a few good manufactures that are top notch. I am currenty looking at the Viper 2 from Gibbon Fiberglass. It's chopped and channeled and looks pretty good. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2001, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

WELL I'M IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING A 1936 FORD 3 WINDOW COUPE FROM J.B. DONALSON I QUITE A BIT OF LOOKING FIRST BEFORE I ORDERED IT.

I HAVE CHATTED QUITE A FEW TIMES WITH J.B. HIMSELF AND HES VERY KNOWLEGABLE ABOUT FIBERGLASS AND STREET RODS IN GENERAL.

AS OF YET I HAVE NOT SEEN MY BODY SO I CAN'T SPEAK TO THAT ASPECT YET.
CHECK WITH ME IN ABOUT 4 MORE WEEKS FOR AN HONEST TESTAMONIAL OR HOWEVER YOU SPELL THAT!! WE NEED A SPELL CHECKER ON THIS WEB SITE LOL

BOMO
Old 12-17-2001, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

AND ONE MORE THING. I DON'T THINK MOST PEOPLE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH MONEY AND TIME IT TAKE TO DO A COMPLETE STREET ROD OF ANY KIND SAY NOTHING ABOUT ALL THE TALENT THATS NEEDED

WELDING
METAL FABRICATION
ELECTRICAL
MECHANICAL
PAINTING
APOLSTERY

JUST TO NAME A FEW

BOMO
Old 12-17-2001, 04:06 PM

Bomo . . . I would be interested to know if the body has steel reinforcement or even hard wood. I know that manufactures like Wescott has steel reinforced support structure over hand laminiated fiberglass.
I agree with your last posting. The costs and skills are high to do the job right.
Good luck with your project.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:33 PM

Greetings all,

I am one of those who actually purchased one of their kits. Call me crazy, call me stupid, what can I say.

I'd be the last to disagree with some of the comments made. Especially that it takes some time, money and some skills (or help from those with skills) to build one of these.

On the positive side, I have been having a blast since I started building it. I also know I couldn't afford to do it other ways.

I'm doing it for fun and only fun. I'm about 80% complete. It's taken longer and I have spent more than I planned, but I'm still enjoying it. I've documented the whole build process so far on my web site.

I know all about the history of the company. I know first hand about the quality of the product which in my opinion some of it is very good and some of it is not so good. But much of it is up to what the individual wants.

I have no regrets. If I build another rod I will be taking a different approach next time. But the learning experience this time around has been priceless.

So, if anyone is interested, please feel free to email me or visit my web site.

Joe..

jsantacroce@hvc.rr.com
<a href="http://home.hvc.rr.com/js34ford/" target="_blank">http://home.hvc.rr.com/js34ford/</a>
Old 12-28-2001, 07:13 PM

I realy hate to knock a product but I must tell you that while the Street Beast does appear to offer a reasonable intery level into street rodding, it has too many dissadvantages to be considered a good investment. I can recall a fairly recent rodding article where some "magazine" gurus were going to build an economical rod using an older kit car which turned out to be a Street Beast. To make a long story short they ended up scraping the old Street Beast and staring over with an intirely different car due to the severe limitations of the Street Beast.
You would be well advised to look at some of the better quality kits offered out there and unfortunately most do not offer turn key finnished products. This is not all bad as it allows you to "build" your rod to your tastes with an abundance of options.
There are some realy nice choices in car bodies and frames out there so please shop around and check out the body manufactureres of some of the rides featured in magaines such as Street rodder etc.
Hope this dosen't dampen your enthusiasm to build a rod, its the greatest thing thing going, but I just want you to get off on the right foot.
Old 12-29-2001, 06:23 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Just a couple of thoughts for those people that did buy there kits. Now these are things i have personal had to fix for 2 guys that bought them. First before you do any painting of the frame have all the welds checked by a good weldor.I have seen first hand the welds on this car and most would not pass a DMV inspection. on the stangII front struts break(i would upgrade to a full tubular lower a-frame with out the strut) Next would be the mount on the upper coil over ,it is barely strong eneogh for a shock and the coil over will bend and break it.The body mounts to the cowl are very weak and make a teriable noise if you dont figure out a better way to mount it.There are many more problems with this car but it would take 3 pages to post.If you got one well your in over your head now anyway.One question ???Would you be ordering another one??? Buy a quality body and start with a new set of rails and go from there.Sorry just dont want to see someone else make a big mistake.In the end this car is NOT a safe car!! I would not want my wife or kids riding in it.But there are only 2 glass bodies out there that i would.
Old 12-29-2001, 06:18 PM

Lightbulb

To follow on what bomo added: Kit Car magazine or Kit Car Illustrated did a story (series actually) of budgeting and planning a project.
They even covered tools and consumables.
Addresses are www.kitcarillustrated.com.
I thought it was well presented and honest writing.
My personal opinion is that you should start with a completed or nearly completed project instead of beginning at ground zero. There are plenty to pick from no matter where you live.
Good Luck with your project!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.