STREETRAIL. 45 Dodge - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Street Rail

Take note it's a four link front end, so the front axle will not arc. The caster will be adjustable to a point.

This front end is higher off the ground and will have the same amount of travel as my Kia Boy car, which should be about three inches. Looking under my car there's 3/8's inch before it starts to load the rubber snubber.

I've decided to use the original tie rod locations on the spindles. I'll fabricate bolt on brackets that will locate a hole above the center line of the axle, like an upper tie rod location. Bolt and sleeve the two together with a vertical bolt and spacers, to locate the heim joint directly in the middle of the four link bars on either side. Instead of an outer tie rod.

The photos are development in progress and probably look deceptive to the design goal.

Thanks, Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0299.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	624.9 KB
ID:	57028  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Streetrail

Back from Peaches, the cottage up North. Spying on the Streetrail the last few days. More and more I see this one is the one.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

Steve,
you might want to do a search of this site for "straight axle rack". The first link that shows up is this one: straigth axle cars with rack and pinion steering

The way to do a rack with a straight front axle is to mount the rack to the axle (it moves up and down with the axle). That way, when one tire is compressed or "bumped" (it doesnt have to be an actual bump- this happens when you make a turn at speed or hit the brakes) the spindle for the wheel isn't turned (bump steer). because the rack moves, you'll need to have a slip joint in the steering column somewhere to accomdate movement.

If you want to go old school, do a cross steer setup. (the Speedway Motors catalog has pics). I think I saw somewhere on this site how to do DIY reverse a corvair box...

The picture you posted with a rack looks like an asphalt modified. This car has an independant front suspension, with control arms (A-arms). The tie rods on the rack move in the same arc as the control arms.

It's not clear to me from the pictures, but does the leaf pring connect to the axle with shackles? What I'm getting at is with a four bar front end, you need a panhard bar or the leaf spring needs to be mounted to keep the axle in alignment (left to right). hope this makes sense. sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

not trying to be down on your cool project, just trying to offer advice.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 PM

Rod's length of about one third of the length of your gun if I remember correctly. This means that when you play bump, your gun will move a very large arc, and a much smaller arc in the rod. Tera Money This is equivalent to bumpsteer!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Street Rail

Rack final location in 45 Dodge Blackout. The Street Rail.

Next, fabricate clearance of cover, which is the bottom of the cross member before I flipped it over.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0477.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	58245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	58246  
Old 09-13-2011, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

1945 Dodge Blackout, Street Rail.

Rack on location and cover fabricated for clearance. Next I suppose I'll work on heim joint location's and location for the cab.

Thinkin' driving a supercharged 392 and shifting a Richmond six speed should be decent with power steering.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0491.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	58380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0492.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	58381  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.