Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   streetrod insurance (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/streetrod-insurance-33192.html)

cboy 01-30-2004 03:42 PM

streetrod insurance

Search the board but couldn't find much of any discussion of streetrod insurance. I'm looking for the "non-daily use" type coverage - for shows, events, runs, and pleasure drives. Anybody have Grundy, Sneed or American Hobbyist coverage? Any to stay away from?

Dewey

reborn55 01-30-2004 04:02 PM

I have Great America here in Illinois. Coverage on my 48 Dodge and 55 Chevy..Had Hagerty for a while but they came in a little cheaper for a little bit more coverage. Checked Hagerty's rate for comparison this year and they have increased premiums, and Grundy has also gotten more expensive. Got a quote from Sneed and they were a bit higher but had more flexibility as far as using the car. they allowed occasional use in driving to work etc. Rest only allowed use to shows, cruises, out to dinner once in awhile, etc. Just make sure you get agreed value and take plenty of pictures.
:)

CTSmokey 01-30-2004 04:11 PM

This is who I use and so far have been the cheapest and had great customer service. I have a 1940 Ford tudor sedan and a 1956 Chevy wagon
http://www.classicins.com/index.html

Hey reborn!:thumbup:

cboy 01-30-2004 06:24 PM

Thanks reborn55 and CTSmokey. I'm going to check out the companies you are using. I have quotes from Sneed, Grundy and American Hobbyist. They all seem pretty reasonable and pretty close - so I'm mostly looking for most reputable with the least restrictions on usage.

Have you had any experience with having to have your car appraised (over $25,000 for some companies)? Do they pick the appraiser or do you?

Dewey

reborn55 01-30-2004 06:51 PM

I have got both mine at 20,000 a piece, so all I needed was for me to send them some pictures of the car. I think I am going to go higher on the 55 this year. Think they want an appraisal then. One of the reasons I went with Great America is they are fairly local. Got to meet the agent at Frog Follies. if you want any info www.midwestclassicins.com
e-mail-rrt229@ctnet.net. Guys anme is Robbin--tell him I sent you.

tm454 01-31-2004 07:40 AM

Insurance, we don't need no stinkin insurance!!

These guys should offer a stated price and an appraised price ins. You pay the premiums so decide which one you want to pay. I just use AllState's stated price policy for my rods, my 53 chevy pro-street has a stated value of $25k and the premium is $175 for the year full coverage. I am sure I get a discount for more than one car but I don't know how much it is. My 69 LeMans is $126 a year for $10K and I have ins. on my 37 Dodge project and thats in storage at $65 for the year for fire and theft full coverage for $18K. My wife just told me we also get the home owner plus the auto discounts?? $100 deductable on the cars and $250 deductable on the house.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

bud-23 01-31-2004 08:49 AM

I use www.grundy.com. Zero deductable, drive all you want, it just can't be your daily driver.

reborn55 01-31-2004 11:36 AM

Hey Bud--just curious as to whether Grundy is raising their rate. Got a rate quote from them lat year that was dirt cheap--just ran same cars through and the rate almost tripled. jUst curious. Hagerty has done the same

reegeemon 01-31-2004 01:48 PM

insurance

had good luck w/american collectors, however they will NOT do kit cars

cboy 01-31-2004 03:00 PM

Bud

Grundy is among the best quotes I've gotten so far but I do wonder about ALL the companies that say they allow pleasure driving. Some say in the fine print that the car can't be parked and left unattended at any time (i.e. stopping at the hardware store, going into a restaurant to eat, or taking it for the proverbial drive to church on Sunday morning and leaving it in the parking lot.) I'm just wondering how rigid the rules are and how the definition of "pleasure driving" can be construed in the event of a claim that they don't want to pay. I have a "daily driver" but I certainly want to be able to hop in the '32 to go out for a bite to eat, drop a letter at the post office, or any number of other possible "errands" that might be included within a little "pleasure drive". I'm just wondering how clear the rules are on this in the Grundy policy (or the policies for other companies).

Dewey

tm454 01-31-2004 04:15 PM

prices and coverage

what kind of rates do you get and what do you need to do to get those rates? I drive my rods every day, to work and to play. About 10k a year last year anyway. The I park it for the winter. But I can pull it out without calling the Insurance guy. I have one thats a project and it has fire and theft on it but its not a driver yet.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

bud-23 01-31-2004 04:31 PM

reborn55
I've have been with them just over a year and my renewal is about the same. When I first did the online quote it was higher than the phone quote.
cboy
I have never filed a claim with Grundy so I'm not sure if there will be a problem. It states unlimited mileage and all of the shows,cruising you want to do as long as you don't use it for taking the kids to school, grocery shopping, running errands etc. They do ask questions about your daily driver.

Norm.

cboy 02-03-2004 06:58 AM

I talked with Sneed yesterday to get a clarification on the definition of "pleasure driving". Under their coverage it is anything except racing and driving to work. Everything else is acceptable - getting groceries, running errands etc.

This is the NSRA's insurance carrier and you must be an NSRA member to get the coverage. The only drawback is the rates are higher than Grundy and American Hobbyist - but comparable with Hagerty, AON, American Collector, and a couple of others. So not the cheapest but it might be worth it for the peace of mind knowing that a claim isn't going to get rejected because of some technicality regarding what you were up to at the time the car got crinkled.

Dewey

EBlack36 02-06-2004 06:16 AM

This is the company that I use. I have had one claim and had no problems.

http://www.anpac.com/AmericanNat/auto/index.htm

willys36@aol.com 02-06-2004 07:50 AM

No need for specialty insurance companies. I just use good old State Farm, same as for all my family cars. They have a 'specialty car' rate that is very economical. Restrictions are pretty lenient - car must be garaged at night, 10,000mi/year max (I don't come anywhere near that), can drive to and from work and to car events (what else is there?!!).