Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Strength of a flux core weld?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok-my two cents,I would strongly recommend NOT using flux core! I have been a certified welder for well over 30 years and I have used flux core wire in the mining industry since 1968 in sizes from .030 to .120 and on metal ranging from thin sheet to over 14" thick. In my opinion flux core is not nearly as strong as MIG wire and the only reasons we used it in the first place was because it would weld OK outside in the wind where a true MIG was not practical and it made for faster repairs when strength wasn't a major factor. I would NEVER consider flux core for a critical weld such as a frame or ANYWHERE else a weld failure could cause an accident or injury. If you look at the material data sheet you will see a small amount of aluminum is used as one of the deoxidizers--need I say more? Have you considered Oxy/Acetylene welding? Works great on tubing,quite often homebuilt aircraft are welded using this method. If you have access to a true MIG welder or a stick using low hydrogen rods(e7018 or similar)you can do a simple test by tacking a small plate to a metal table top or another plate and then bending them untill they break. If both types of welds are done correctly the flux core will fail with a LOT less effort.