Striking clerks close the ports - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 06:47 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Striking clerks close the ports

This hits a cord with me. During my early trucking days about 30 years ago, the clerks that handle the container and chassis paperwork went on strike which closed the port because all other port workers honor the picket line. Back then I earned $180 per container and would run 2 containers a day from Sacramento to the Ports of Oakland, SF, and Richmond.

Today both the Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach, which 39% of all imports come through, the clerks went on strike again. For the job of clerk, doing nothing but typing on the computer the equipment numbers and booking numbers pays $85,000.00 per year with employment for life in their contracts. I wonder how many here think $85K (with OT $150K) per year, and guaranteed job for life that you can pass on to your kid, is such a bad deal?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

They have them by the short hairs at this time of year. I've been working in the Long Beach area the last month, first it was some strike at the LAX at Thanksgiving for some of the lower paid folks, now this. Neither place can afford to have much disrupt the coming and going of planes or containers off the boats, it's a freaking nightmare waiting to happen. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I believe the Gov't will have to step in.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Makes you wish Reagan was still President - - - - remember the Air Traffic Controller Strike?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
This hits a cord with me. During my early trucking days about 30 years ago, the clerks that handle the container and chassis paperwork went on strike which closed the port because all other port workers honor the picket line. Back then I earned $180 per container and would run 2 containers a day from Sacramento to the Ports of Oakland, SF, and Richmond.

Today both the Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach, which 39% of all imports come through, the clerks went on strike again. For the job of clerk, doing nothing but typing on the computer the equipment numbers and booking numbers pays $85,000.00 per year with employment for life in their contracts. I wonder how many here think $85K (with OT $150K) per year, and guaranteed job for life that you can pass on to your kid, is such a bad deal?
guess the same could be said about the trucker making 360.oo a day for driving.. 30 years ago.. whats that intodays cash???
or that crazy amount you quoted for being on a floating warehouse.. what was that like 1/4 mill a year +..
everybody cries about what others make, untill we point the finger at YOU..
seems to be the american way.. b_tch about what others make and HOW EASY their job is.. then moan about how hard your job is... ST_U..
like they say, untill you've walked in my shoes..___________________
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
johnnyg (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
guess the same could be said about the trucker making 360.oo a day for driving.. 30 years ago.. whats that intodays cash???
or that crazy amount you quoted for being on a floating warehouse.. what was that like 1/4 mill a year +..
everybody cries about what others make, untill we point the finger at YOU..
seems to be the american way.. b_tch about what others make and HOW EASY their job is.. then moan about how hard your job is... ST_U..
like they say, untill you've walked in my shoes..___________________
I take you off my "ignore" list and this is the uninformed dribble I see. Furgal, you just like to argue without applying any thought.

Big difference between me owning and driving the truck making $180 per loop and some clerk who is an employee. I had to buy the truck, pay for insurance and fuel, etc. Now when I went back to school it was a maritime academy that has 4.0 requirements for incoming students and even with that, less than 50% graduate. In this case, I paid for my education so one would think I should make more than a clerk who received his union card when his dad retired.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

funny thing is, you all dem...
but unions are dem.. hum. crossroads for D/O

ooopsie
Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Furgal,

The question I posed was do you think a clerk making $85K~$125K per year with a job for life has it so tough as to go on strike, costing the local economy billions per day? Remember, this is a group of 70 well paid, no skill or education workers, putting thousands out of work, causing container ships to anchor out throwing off their schedule. When I start a thread I would prefer you not participate if your only agenda is to argue. It isn't a question of unions, but since you brought it up, I am pro union except in the case of unions controlling a geographic features as important as a port, and using that control as leverage for compensation above their skill set. When I was at the academy we studied this, and if this continues, all major shipping from Asia will come in via Mexico and all the port workers will lose. You Frugal are so opinionated and uninformed in this area, you should consider refraining from further comment.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Furgal,

The question I posed was do you think a clerk making $85K~$125K per year with a job for life has it so tough as to go on strike, costing the local economy billions per day? Remember, this is a group of 70 well paid, no skill or education workers, putting thousands out of work, causing container ships to anchor out throwing off their schedule. When I start a thread I would prefer you not participate if your only agenda is to argue. It isn't a question of unions, but since you brought it up, I am pro union except in the case of unions controlling a geographic features as important as a port, and using that control as leverage for compensation above their skill set. When I was at the academy we studied this, and if this continues, all major shipping from Asia will come in via Mexico and all the port workers will lose. You Frugal are so opinionated and uninformed in this area, you should consider refraining from further comment.
if it was so easy, no one would be payed that, they'd strike and they'd hire any joe off the street, cut the crap..
your so full of crap, your all dem/lib untill it might affect some of your buddies that might still work as captains of barges.. hypocritical.. to the max

I hope there is a mile long line of china junk sitting waiting to get off loaded.. best thing that could happen
you'd think cali was the only ports in the usa.. libs love unions.. can't have it both ways.. pick one.. and stick with it..
suckes when your own views hits a nerve, eh..

Last edited by gearheadslife; 12-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

What's all this sh&t got to do with HOT RODS

Note :
Monetor
Please delete this thread !!!!!!!!!!

Set from the payphone in my bathroom
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Just the facts. 39% of our imports come into this country by the two ports effected by the clerk's strike. Also for Asian shipments going to Europe, the US is a land bridge, with off loaded containers from the west coast ports travelling by our railroads to the east coast ports for reloading onto ships bound for Europe. While I was at the academy, Mexico privatized their rail transport and are in position to take all the land bridge freight bound for Europe and it will be just a matter of union greed that will force the hand of shippers to invest and move great paying jobs to Mexico. This is the theme of this thread Furgal. Do you have something well thought out that you want to contribute, or do you just like flapping your gums?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy View Post
What's all this sh&t got to do with HOT RODS

Note :
Monetor
Please delete this thread !!!!!!!!!!

Set from the payphone in my bathroom
This is the off-topic area and the thread's title was well identified, so my question to you is "why are you here crying for a moderator to close the thread?"
Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Just the facts. 39% of our imports come into this country by the two ports effected by the clerk's strike. Also for Asian shipments going to Europe, the US is a land bridge, with off loaded containers from the west coast ports travelling by our railroads to the east coast ports for reloading onto ships bound for Europe. While I was at the academy, Mexico privatized their rail transport and are in position to take all the land bridge freight bound for Europe and it will be just a matter of union greed that will force the hand of shippers to invest and move great paying jobs to Mexico. This is the theme of this thread Furgal. Do you have something well thought out that you want to contribute, or do you just like flapping your gums?
You must be forgetting how much comes from The Port of New Orleans...
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

I'm not forgetting Randy but for imports these two ports handle 39%. I know the Mississippi moves 500 million tons per year of domestic cargo to that port and it employs a lot with its $8 billion in earnings.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
I'm not forgetting Randy but for imports these two ports handle 39%. I know the Mississippi moves 500 million tons per year of domestic cargo to that port and it employs a lot with its $8 billion in earnings.

Here's a little write up on just how much it does bring in and how big it is..

Port of New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
good that 39% of imported crap we don't need, send it all back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.