Stripping the dash hardware - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 AM
Footstomper

Last journal entry: 40 ford/cadillac coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Stripping the dash hardware

I am nearly to pull the last stubborn part of my 66 ford pickup cab, does anyone know how to get that 355,000 mile ignition switch out? I turned it to ACC, poked a tiny allen wrench in the lock pin hole, wiggled the key, (by the way, when I try to pull with the key and at the same time push pin hole, the key is so worn, that the key comes half out of the while pushing pin hole when I pull the cylinder, but it does not want to come out. It has a spring around the switch on the back of the dash, and the front dash is the bezel. Under the spring on the back side has a inner housing to mate up to the back of the dash and hold the enitre swtich.
I have people told me to use wax, or have a new key made, do locksmiths just know how much to grind to match of the key when it was new?
Any body know how to get it out, should I just cut the bezel and buy door locks and a new switch with matching kit? The switch and door locks are usable, but worn.

Footstomper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

your doing it right but try inserting a paper clip and push in then turn the key (CRS, only one way does works)

the pin is pushing against a tiny coil spring in the lock to release the lock cylinder itself so with pressure on the switch to the left it rotates and comes out the front....

that releases the big external spring holding the bezel...

Blaster penetrating oil into the lock cylinder and tap tap tap with a hammer to free up the release spring and holding pawls?
(it's not a air/moisture/dirt tight lock assembly and the only time that spring moves is when you remove the lock)
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Footstomper

Last journal entry: 40 ford/cadillac coupe
Last photo:

65 mustang,
I tried all of that, it was in there for 350,000 miles and the key rarely works on ACC, I was hoping for pulling it out, and you would probably knew more than I did. I have pulled those locks before. This was the worst. I decided since the cluster was out of the 66 ford truck, I had plenty to use a cut off saw, once I took off the back contacts, I carefully saved the external spring.
Next I got the spring and collar by grinding the housing and it came out. I saved the expensive items, 29.00 for the bezel, collar, 12., spring, 4, The 14. dollar switch and 8. key and lock. I probably could have been able to punch the lock from the back without all the grinding. The contact plates had already fell out. So, now I am ready to paint inside and outside, frame, etc. Thank you for responding, I was beginning to think that nobody would answer. I was in hurry to get through with the truck, I need it badly. My neighbor does not like my sandblasting and painting, it is in the county though. I don't do it very often.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

When turning it, while pushing in that hole, you have turn it left past the acc position to get it out.....

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.