Stripping paint and repairing sheet metal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Stripping paint and repairing sheet metal

The more I've been working on my car, the more hidden, bad repairs I'm finding. I want to strip the whole car so that I can find them all. Will the car be OK sitting in bare metal for a month or so while I repair the sheet metal? For the most part I only get to work on the weekends. I know the car will need at the very least quarter skins, trunk drop offs, and the lower tail panel. How do you guys, that only get to work on the weekends, tackle stuff like this? My car is in a garage.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

some light surface rust may flash up depending on the humidity, nothing some naval jelly and steel wool wont clean up before you get ready for epoxy. rinse with hot water and dry quickly. I usually use 80 grit after the metal is rinsed, dried, wax/grease remover wiped down, - right before a good couple coats of epoxy.

if the humidity is horrible where you are, then look into a dehumidifier, but for the most part you don't need to worry about a little flash rust while your workin metal.

good luck!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Do one thing at a time once you take it all apart you have a big mess I made this mistake with my truck. I have a 76 k5 blazer and its down to the bare cab. no nose, no quarters, no doors, no tailgate. I cut the floors and the rockers were gone. now all I have to do is put it back together but its a long job.

I say do one side of the car at a time and you will get it done. As far as the bare metal issue you should be okay for a few months as long as you dont live in a humid area. if you do dont waste your time and money until your ready to prime the car.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

I'm also a weekend warrior for the most part. When I had both of my fenders stripped, I used a zinc phosphate coating to protect them against flash rusting, but even this isn't fool proof. I have had bare metal sit all winter and never rust. My car is also in a garage. once the humidity comes in the summer days things start to become a different story and my fenders were constantly rerusting on me. It seemed if I degreased them and didn't touch them with my bare hands it helped, as sometimes I would actually find flash rust spots exactly in the shape of my fingers.

Ultimately, the best strategy I came up with was don't strip something to bare metal until I'm ready to work with it, and I have everything lined up so I can move through the process as quickly as possible. It took that and going over the panels a lot with 80 grit on a DA and/or possibly a wire wheel to physically remove rust. Right before I was ready to paint I did a zinc phosphate treatment to neutralize/remove any corrosion that I couldn't physically remove.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.