Hot Rod Forum banner

stroked 305

32K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  runn141 
#1 ·
yes a 334 or stroked 305 is a very high torque lower reving small block, they are supposed to produce quite a bit more torque than a 350 because of the small bore and long stroke. I would be interested to see how one runs!

#5 ·
Yeah I think I've got my 305 tuned the best its gonna get without spending any money on it... Just recently got my secondaries working right on the carb.. It was a little exciting for a while.. But not so much any more.. My 1/4 mile trap speed is usually between 75 - 85 mph... Low to mid 18's... :drunk:

#6 ·
No the stroked 334 will not make more torque than a 350. All other things being equal, torque is directly related to engine displacment. The power range may be a little different, but the power output will always be higher on the larger displacment engine IF everything else is the same.

Chris

#7 ·
TurboS10 said:
No the stroked 334 will not make more torque than a 350. All other things being equal, torque is directly related to engine displacment. The power range may be a little different, but the power output will always be higher on the larger displacment engine IF everything else is the same.

Chris

No the stroked 334 will not make more torque than a 350. is a B.S. unresearched comment because you can't have everything the same, 305 heads have to be modified (thus changing them) to fit the bore of a 350, so how are you compairing? only 16c.i. difference, you honestly think you can't make the same power if not more? the 334 has the same stroke as a 383 just a smaller bore.

#10 ·
Whoa! The lowly 305 is not all that bad. One of the mag's just did a 305 with GM Fast Burn heads, single plane 4bbl, stock pistons and a 230ish flat tappet cam. It made 393 HP / 364 TQ for less than $2500. That's not too shabby for a hunk of junk, IMO. I have built dozens of 305's w/std stroke and made good power - for a 305. I think people have stuck it in their heads that these motors are flat out junk. They are not. They are not a 350. They will not make what a 350 does, just as a 396 will not make what a 454 will.

#11 ·
betcha618 said:
No the stroked 334 will not make more torque than a 350. is a B.S. unresearched comment because you can't have everything the same, 305 heads have to be modified (thus changing them) to fit the bore of a 350, so how are you compairing? only 16c.i. difference, you honestly think you can't make the same power if not more? the 334 has the same stroke as a 383 just a smaller bore.
That's all well and good, but if you want to compare apples to apples (similar compression and valve/runner sizes) you're going to get more torque from more cubes. BTW, what research do you have to prove that a 334 will out torque a 350? What kind of a blanket statement is that, you haven't even told us anything about the two motors other than cubic inches. To me, THAT is a BS, unresearched, unproven statement.

K :rolleyes:

#14 ·
Throw in some flat tops (or dish) and a decent set of those oh so lowly heads, a dual plane intake and a 214-218*/.450-480 cam with a 600 carb and it'll keep running and running and running... The good thing about them is they don't make so much power that they break parts, and you can literally beat on them for years.

#15 · (Edited)
Something else to address...the 305 is one of the newer thin-wall castings. Put one up against a 350 or 327 block and you will see how much thinner the main bearing webbing is on the 305. Not only is this a weakness, but do a sonic check on the cylinder walls; they are quite thin.

For a milder motor, it's probably OK; but if I wanted something more racey, I'd build a 301 out of a 283, or a 339 out of a 327. Either of these can be radical, made to scream, and will live.

#17 ·
many years ago i had a high school student that worked for me, he was paid in parts, training and machine work. he wanted to build his 305 that was in his trans am. we bored it .030 silverlite flat tops, cast rings, decked .020, stock stroke, 416 heads which he did himself, new guides, machined for 1.94 int. 1.5 exh. unshrouded the intake wall. he wanted a solid cam cause his dad had told him about the duntov 30-30. so i got him the solid cam and he assembled it himself. he installed it and he told me his 600 was to small for a carb. he put my 750 dp on it and again told me this was to small. i took his car for a ride and was very impressed with the power. he put my 850 on it , it was a little big. ended up with the 750 on it. this thing was a bear, no dyno numbers, sorry for the long wind, but i think there is a place for the 305 in hot rodding. maybe now is the time.

sam-missle

#18 ·
Having the smaller bore makes them a little more fuel efficent (again with an "all things being equal" approach)... perhaps because of gas prices and because you can't find a decent 350 without tripping over thirty 305's they may become more mainstream. For a decent efficent powerful street engine in a 80's chevy I'd be tempted to recomend doing a rebuil don the 305 already in it and bolting on a turbo charger to a ported set of heads, performer intake, and a cam with a little more lift... I'm not saying it'll ever be a 350... hell I'm not even really a fan of chevy 350's either, but there is potential for a nice engine if built right.

#19 ·
Huh, I get 305 cores for free most times if I just get 'em out of the way. If I pay for anything it's usually what they're worth in scrap weight. When economics gets entered into the picture, stroked 305's make sense.

Those crappy aluminum L98 'vette heads work well on 305's too. :thumbup:

One thing that most folks overlook is that with smaller bores, good late model combustion chambers and proper piston to head clearance....combustion is efficient. That means it's more tolerant of higher pressures with the the same fuels. This is only a slight edge over larger bores but it is something to consider.

All things considered, a stroked 305 can make decent power for a street beater but it will be at lower revs. This may not be a bad thing either, with taller gears being preferred for economy, lower revs would be a slightly better match.

I guess it boils down to what you have to work with and what your goals are for the engine.

Larry

#21 ·
Double_v23 said:
Wow, way to burn that guy, maybe he will come back after not having posted anything since 2003 and make a rebuttle.

Please check the dates on the threads before you respond to them.
dOES THE AGE OF THE THREAD REALLY MATTER? I am new here so that thread is new to me, not to mention its a good thread to keep in the loop for ppl looking for upgrades to their 305's and secondly it got more posts this time around then the first time. Are 305's still around? yes. So is this a dead topic? no. k thanx bye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.