Stroker effect on resale value - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Stroker effect on resale value

I've got a couple of Chevrolet cars that I will be building with resale in mind that will be receiving new engines. If I were keeping them for my own enjoyment, I would build strokers for them. But since I will be enjoying them for a year or two and then selling them, I am wondering if having a stroker in them would be a liability with potential buyers. I know it would be cheaper to just buy a standard 350 crate, but my question has more to do with the buyers perception if I do go with a stroker.

Do you guys think a stroker would cause more concern among buyers than a built 350?

Would a crate 350 be a positive selling point?

Advertisement

Last edited by TNshadetree; 09-29-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What type of vehicles? A 4dr econobox or pickup would limit your buyer interest. For the most part, the question in my mind would be: How much money am I going to lose and do I care?

Now a Camaro, Nova, etc would benefit in mos cases, a hot looking car should have a hot motor.

Have fun, that's also important.....
Old 09-29-2008, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

One is a 76 Nova that's been treated to a cowl hood and SS stripes. Not exactly a classic, but they're coming into their own. I submit a photo into evidence.

The other is a white 85 Monte Carlo SS. It's the one I might have trouble parting with. The Nova, not so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Picture 008.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	32942  
Old 09-29-2008, 01:50 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Maybe its me, but if you restore something, don't you put it back like it was from the factory? A good friend of mine restores cars and it is rediculous what they go thru to get them just right.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Yea, maybe if you're starting with a Corvette. I guess building is a better word than restoring. Because in my case,,,,,

When life gives you 76 Nova's, make 71 SS Chevelle's out of them.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

A pro motor built by great engine builder should increse the price, a home built engine knock it down....

Most people buying a car will discount all the hype about this and that and discount for a tear down, inspection, and reassembly.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Custom built engines are hard for the new owner to evaluate and value, and they probably won't add as much value as you would like. It might be hard to recover the money you spend. Most buyer don't really understand engine technology well enough, and also have no way to verify your claims about using the best possible parts.

If you are looking for low cost, combined with moderate performance, the base GM crate 350 is hard to beat. It's only rated at about 240 horsepower, but it comes with a 3 yr/36k mile warranty from GM. It's also very close to the original motor for both these cars. All the accessories should fit, and it could serve a the base for a stronger build in the future.

If you want a little more power, the 350/290 hp 350 is not much more expensive. However, it only has a one year warranty. They also sell the 350/330 hp engine, which has vortec heads.

Bruce
Old 10-03-2008, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

If you are just looking to flip a car I would go the cheapest route that is going to give you an engine that doesn't puff smoke, starts up nicely, has a little more then stock sound to it, and doesn't have any bad habits (ie require 110 fuel, run hot, low idle oil pressure, etc).

Good luck with your builds!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I look at it this way. 'It is in the eye of the beholder' (the person who owns it, or the purchaser who want's to own it). The machine shop across the parking lot from me, installed a 383 stroker, where a 305 came out of a 4 door "donk" car. Their customer plans on "spending another $80K on it before it is done". I feel if you look up the word "why" in the dictionary, you should see a picture of this car.

Get this; The 305 throttle body system ran so lean it melted holes in the plastic gas tank. Their 'hot shot' mechanic installed 454 injectors in it, and he said "it ran too rich", so he put in 350 injectors, and said "it won't run right". When I asked him the first time if he checked the timing with the the connector disconnected, he response was "yes". The second time I asked him he said "I don't know where it is".

Needless to say, after a tank and fuel pump replacement, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator installed, it sounded ok, not Great..... When it left yesterday.

Last edited by carsavvycook; 10-03-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-03-2008, 04:43 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

I would take the stroker every time.
IF the buyer doesn't know then just take them for a drive
Old 10-03-2008, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Neither car sounds like an easy sell. I wouldn't tie up any more money than necessary.

I would freshen the existing motors, but only if they really, really need it.

Last edited by Flipper_1938; 10-04-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

My vote is for the stroker, and here is why.

One of my customers took a lady sheriff for a ride in his SS396 Chevelle I tuned for him. It scared her, she said it was too fast, but she used to have one years ago just like it.

One week later; She showed back up at his house with the 20K asking price in cash.

The moral of this post is, You can get top dollar for a modified fast car, when you find the right person to buy it. Scare em a little, and the sky's the limit.

If it just looks good, but runs just ok, like his had. (he only expected an offer of 14K, not the asking price) You won't get what you think it is worth.

A fine tune added 6K to the price. Money well spent on a beautiful car.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:59 AM

I agree with the earlier post, both cars are not knocking out the high end of the price scale, If you are solely looking to flip them, cheap. If you are gonna drive them then go with the engine of your preference. I don't agree with the big motor big prices. If the SS396 car were in any kind of of shape...20 grand sounds cheap.

The golden rule to building "flip cars" is....NEVER build anythint you wouldn't want to drive. You never know when you might be stuck with it.

Have a good day.

Last edited by Never Enuf; 10-04-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNshadetree
I've got a couple of Chevrolet cars that I will be building with resale in mind that will be receiving new engines. If I were keeping them for my own enjoyment, I would build strokers for them. But since I will be enjoying them for a year or two and then selling them, I am wondering if having a stroker in them would be a liability with potential buyers. I know it would be cheaper to just buy a standard 350 crate, but my question has more to do with the buyers perception if I do go with a stroker.

Do you guys think a stroker would cause more concern among buyers than a built 350?

Would a crate 350 be a positive selling point?
This thread seems to have strayed from your original questions.
New engines would help either, stroker or crate. You likely will not recoup the extra cost of the stroker if you went that way. If there were two identical vehicles for sale, all things equal except one had a stroker and one had a crate engine, the stroker would probably bring a little more.
We are talking a 76 Nova and a 85 Monte, now the theoretical SS 396, it would be worth far more with the original engine still in it.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

A friend of mine buys early Mustangs,(67-68-69) and spiffs them up to flip on ebay. He rarely spends alot of money on going the extra mile (strokers, alum heads, high dollar intakes, ss exhaust etc), because he does not get the money back from those types of modifications. He has bought, spiffed up and sold over 90 Mustangs in the last 10 years, so he has some experience.

He typically makes sure the motor is sound, and as was stated before, does not spend a bunch of money on the internals..Dressing it up with some swap meet chrome and maybe a good manifold is about as far as he can go without passing the point of diminishing returns.

When you put extra money in the motor, you cut your prospective customer customer base way down.

The prospective buyers who want motors modified beyond a fairly mild state will also want the rest of the car to be up to that standard.

The OP as well as someone else suggested a GM crate motor, that is the best suggestion that I've heard here, if the current motor is trashed..

Resale on good collectable "rebuilt" cars is so soft right now that I would not even think about trying to make back anything, you will undoubtely go in the hole when it sells.

IMO a 76 Nova or an 85 Monte are not really what I'd call collectable cars.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.