Stroker motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Stroker motor

My name is nathan and i wana build a stoker motor using a stock 350 block, ive done some research on how too. Ive become overwhelmed with different options. The vehicle is an 89 shortwide with tbi, i dont want a track set up just street, and i want to stay with tbi if possible,and i wana be able to run with pump gas, if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it thanks!! I want to spend $2500-3000 willing to spend more if thats what it takes!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nboyd00c
My name is nathan and i wana build a stoker motor using a stock 350 block, ive done some research on how too. Ive become overwhelmed with different options. The vehicle is an 89 shortwide with tbi, i dont want a track set up just street, and i want to stay with tbi if possible,and i wana be able to run with pump gas, if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it thanks!! I want to spend $2500-3000 willing to spend more if thats what it takes!
what are your end goals? Towing? I mean if you want to stroke a 350 I would go with a 383. If your overwhelmed I would go to a machinist and drop off your block and tell them your power goals, and that you want a 383. they will take care of all the little things from there.

like....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B13454L030/

Last edited by zildjian4life218; 05-02-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nboyd00c
Knowledge is power Take a couple days to get up to speed.

Also searching this site will net you a LOT of info, as well as checking out the Crankshaft Coalition wiki for articles like this.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Ive built a few 355's thats pretty simple ive never stroked one and i think it would be a good challenge! I want it to be pretty salty no towing about 400-420 hp range. I know about the clearance issues in the bottom end, here is what i was goin to go with:

350 block 1 piece seal
Scat crank
Scat comp 5.7 i beam rods
Srp forged pistons
I need ideas for a good top end combo
Aluminun vs cast heads
A cam
And a tbi setup if possible, i know i will have to have a custom chip built to fit the engine, and i will have to do tranny work also and maybe some diff gears in the rear or im i just fartin in the wind?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

383 is a great street engine.

I wouldnt spend the money for forged pistons.

Hard to beat the Enginequest heads for the dollar. They are heavy though, probably about twice what GM heads weigh.

Edelbrock has some good aluminum heads for less than $1000 with no need to fret over the quality.

Isky cam.

Howell can make you a chip. Talk to them before final parts selection.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

The money will run short if you go aluminum heads and are having a proper balance on the bottom end, that is to say if you are paying for a machinist.

400HP is reachable with cast heads but most likely running regular gas will be out of the question unless you have a narly cam which will be a pain in arse from day to day.

350HP and L31 cast heads is low hanging 383 fruit, you wont miss the 50HP, torx will be there too and you just might have money for beer at the end of the day

2 more of my cents
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM

first ill say you can achieve your goals for under 1600 bucks.

an eagle rotating assembly is $757.00 balanced ready to drop in from summitracing then drop 5 or 600 on a machinist to clean the block, line hone it , bore and hone with a torque plate and zero deck it. Then just get gaskets a new cam,timing chain, lifters and reassemble it the stroker is going give you low end torque which is exactly what you want in a truck.

you dont always need aftermarket everything to make an inprovement above stock. youll be surprised by how much the extra stroke has to offer.

Last edited by mustangstomper; 05-03-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 PM

get above mentioned kit! and put your other stock parts on it. youll be truly amazed!

Last edited by mustangstomper; 05-03-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

your heads are terrible. spend the time and money converting your 350 to a vortec head and intake.

Much better to have 350 with good heads than a 383 with stock 89 tbi heads.

I would also recommend buying a complete 350 vortec engine from a 96 to 2000 truck. These engine can be had for cheap and come with roller cams and vortec heads. And will allow you to work on the new engine while still driving the truck. Check you local craigs list or used engine dealer for a 350 vortec engine. Your tbi will bolt right onto the vortec intake.

A set of headers, mild rv cam, and a 350 vortec engine would be worth 100 more hp than a stock 89 tpi setup.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
your heads are terrible. spend the time and money converting your 350 to a vortec head and intake.

Much better to have 350 with good heads than a 383 with stock 89 tbi heads.

I would also recommend buying a complete 350 vortec engine from a 96 to 2000 truck. These engine can be had for cheap and come with roller cams and vortec heads. And will allow you to work on the new engine while still driving the truck. Check you local craigs list or used engine dealer for a 350 vortec engine. Your tbi will bolt right onto the vortec intake.

A set of headers, mild rv cam, and a 350 vortec engine would be worth 100 more hp than a stock 89 tpi setup.
Hard to argue w/this advice, especially regarding good heads over a stroker crank. I'd MUCH rather have a 355 w/good heads than a 383 w/swirl ports. Well, maybe not if I was trying to use a SBC to power a dump truck.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.