Hot Rod Forum banner

Stroker SBC with 880 block?

16K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  old76c10 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I had an opportunity to bring home a '99 Vortec 350 core from a 1500 suburban. I grabbed it with the intention to build a stroker.

I plan on building a semi-short block than transfering over my heads & valvetrain from my current 357ci.

There is a snag however, after doing some research I've heard of guys having issues stroking the 880 block with the shorter cylinders. Sure enough, mine is the 880 with short cylinders.

I hear the fix is to use 6" rods but other guys claim you can't use 6" rods without using an aftermarket tall deck block otherwise the wrist pins would be in the ring valleys.

Could someone shed some light on this for me? Have any of you used the 880 block for your stroker with 5.7" rods or 6" rods successfully?

Cheers ~Mykk

See less See more
#2 ·
Hell GM uses that same block with their 385 fast burn engine and there not having any problems, They have a different P/N as its stroker clearanced.

We have used these blocks before for 3.750 builds before and no issues and we always use a 6.000 rod.

We also use the old 2 peice rear seal cranks in those one peice seal blocks we use a different seal adapator on these builds,

Have the block sonic tested before you do anything and the block does not have to be cleaned to do the process.

Using a 6 inch rod you can interanally balance the crank.

#3 ·
I used to be a believer in the 5.7" rods for 383's, a big time believer. but Joe Shermann has changed my views on that and I would just run the 6" rod regardless of if you had to do it or not.

Good luck on your build, with the right parts and a little head work you can squeeze over 500hp out of a Vortec 383 pretty easily/cheaply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.