Stroking a big block chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Stroking a big block chevy

Hello I would like some input from all of you who care to give it,
I am currently working on my first BBC build I would like to get some Big cubes
out of this with a limited $$ amount so here is what I have to work with,
first big block is a 10114182 block 91`95 4bolt gen-5 block with heads #10114156 oval port 91-01 all stock low miles engine,ok second engine is
364776, 68-84, 427 truck tall deck all stock with heads #343772,76-84
206-177 open chamber oval ports,also have a steel crank #6223 and an extra
set of heads # 3993820 71,206-177 113 cc oval port, well thats the "bucket"
list could you please give me your input I want as many cubes n pony's as I
can "safely" achieve without catastrophic premature failure this will not be a race engine more of a weekend warrior.My ideas are possibly bigger crank?
maybe a .060 or .090 over bore with a 4.500 crank ?not sure if this is possible with a 454 or not maybe the tall deck 427 ??? thanks for you input looking forward to your responce................

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Easiest/cheapest/best bang for buck short block combo is the 454 block with 4.250 crank. 6.385 rods. All parts are common and stocked. The one piece block is a bit thinner than the Mark lV block but will still go .060-.070" with no problems. Will clear most aftermkt rods and the 4.250 cranks usually balance easy. Just under 500 cubes.

4.500 cranks get spendy on custom pistons/rods and block clearancing.

Tall decks are expensive to build and probably not worth the expense for a cruiser type/weekend warrior type car. Plus the add on accessories don't fit these blocks well and street intakes are rare and $$$$$$. Spacers leak!

None of the heads listed are great flow. If it were mine and I was to use them. I would go with the truck heads and have 1.19-1.88" valves installed then the guides cut, seals, rotator eliminators. springs etc. done correctly.

Problem with BBC iron heads is the cost to get them to make power. Aftermkt aluminum are sometimes the better way to go.

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 03-23-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the info do you think its worth just getting a 4.250 crank 6.385 rods
and leaving the bore stock ? will stock pistons work?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

Stock pistons won't work.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 PM

very good option is to buy a used 540,more and more available all the time.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 AM

Building a 496 out of the tall deck is among the best possible combinations of a BBC for street use, IF you have enough hood clearance. The only "added" expense is the spacers needed to make a "good" intake manifold fit. Weiand offers them for both oval and rectangular ports, about a hundred bucks. The tall deck block is much stronger than the Gen V block. It also uses the "2-piece" rear seal, making combinations easier to find and less expensive. Eagle offers a rotating "kit" for this purpose, at the same price as the "short deck" version. The only significant difference are the connecting rods (6.800"). The improvement in internal geometry puts the BBC on a par with the big Dodge and big Pontiac for torque, and with the right heads/valve train, MORE HP. Stick with all forged bottom-end components, no "cast" cranks please.

The 6223 is a good forging. It's the crank used in all 366, 396 and 427 BBCs. While not suited for your "big cubes" requirement, these cranks aren't worthless. Still plenty of folks wanting high-revving BBCs, and this is the crank of choice for that. The stock rods aren't worth much...

A 447. HHHMMM... A .100" over-bored 427 makes 447 CID. A tall-deck with a "long" rod could easily be reliable at 8,000 RPM. You will need rods and pistons no matter what you do. You already HAVE a perfectly good crankshaft. Something to consider, if you want to keep the costs "down".

Valve train is the most crucial part of a BBC "build". Don't "get by" there, use the good stuff.

Jim
Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

"Building a 496 out of the tall deck is among the best possible combinations of a BBC for street use, IF you have enough hood clearance. The only "added" expense is the spacers needed to make a "good" intake manifold fit. Weiand offers them for both oval and rectangular ports, about a hundred bucks. The tall deck block is much stronger than the Gen V block. It also uses the "2-piece" rear seal, making combinations easier to find and less expensive. Eagle offers a rotating "kit" for this purpose, at the same price as the "short deck" version. The only significant difference are the connecting rods (6.800"). The improvement in internal geometry puts the BBC on a par with the big Dodge and big Pontiac for torque, and with the right heads/valve train, MORE HP. Stick with all forged bottom-end components, no "cast" cranks please."

I agree on the tall deck, +.100" bore with the stroked crank makes a h@ll of a motor.
BUT,, he states he is on a budget. I know budget and "Performance" are not compatible.
Example.. Six years ago I built a tall deck, big bore, 4.250 stroke with aftermkt heads (won't mention name since a lot of "experts" dis them).

Customer picked up short block and heads. Then eventually finished and installed it in an 84 Regal.

Problems with install have been written many times, Spacers=leak. Adjustable height distributor=extra cost. Stocked headers for a BBC in a G body are not for a tall deck. Don't fit.=extra cost Then there is pan/chassis issues. Plus the normal problems/cost of installing a monster in a six-cylinder chassis.

Not something that a person on a budget can handle on a reasonable time build.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

Interesting......I gotta tall deck marine block w a forged crank sitting in the shop collecting dust.....was gonna be a street/strip for a early 70's Camaro body i got stored up too.....hmmmmm
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

I know you said budget....but a 4.5 stroke and a 4.310 bore gets you a 524!!! some good heads and hold the hell on.....find some used square port 454 heads on the web....nice cam....yeeeehaaawwww
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

4.5 bore, 4.250 stroke = 540.....easily do-able
Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Supercharge one of the engines you got. Low compression ratio is your friend.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

Put that chart/calculator away!!! It'll get you in trouble..

I have a 4.375" bore 4.500" stroke motor on the stand right now. Going into a vintage altered drag car.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.