Strong 4x4 Manual Transmissions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Strong 4x4 Manual Transmissions

Hey guys I have a question. I have a 56 Chevy truck that I want to turn into my do it all truck. I have an LS7 to drop into it, as well as a line on an air suspension setup. I want a Hot Rod, and the LS7 should provide the muscle for that, but I also want to take my car to my favorite trailheads to go mountain biking, skiing, etc. So I need 4WD. But I also want a Manual because I enjoy driving. I know this is a complicated checklist, so ill simplify it:
4WD
Manual
Strong
Does anyone have any ideas? thanks so much!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

ROCKLAND Std Gear makes a T56 conversion. Never used it, know nothing about it. Someone else (Transdapt, Novak or Advance Adapters) makes a kit to convert a Muncie 4spd to 4WD use. This involves changing out the mainshaft on the Muncie. Otherwise your choices are T5 (too weak) SM465 (3spd and not suited for hotrodding) and a few others. Im a stick guy and I'll slap myself for this but you're probably better off going with a 4L60e 4 speed Automatic.

The problem with converting a non 4wd stickshift to a 4wd stickshift is the short-run, low availability and unknown quality and lifespan of the non-oem mainshaft necessary to make it work. The OD automatic covers a lot of your trouble areas; its readily accessable, easily serviceable and a common swap. They can also be easily built to handle the LS power with a long service life. Just make sure to use a fluid cooler and a quality ATF in the proper quantity

Nate
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Junkyard Kustoms

Last journal entry: update after a long time
Last photo:

I would also take the time to check out the Chevy NV4500 option, its a super strong transmission with a couple gear options. With that super low first you could crawl to any biking spot. just my .02c
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, GM already did it for you, the NV4500, and you get a great low-1st which most 4x4 guys would want. Just step up with the $...

Note if you go shopping, the GM and Dodge versions do not interchange.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

Hope you have plenty of room under there and a strong back LOL. The NV4500 is VERY finicky when it comes to lubricant. If you can find Castrol Syntorq LT 75w-85, its what you need. If you can't, then get the dealership equivalent. I've heard from Dan @ Quad in Roberts, Montana that guys have had good luck with the proper Amsoil equivalent. Personally, Id use the stuff from the $tealership and keep the receipt that way you have a leg to stand on if theres a service issue. A lot of rebuilders will blame the oil; to be fair, an improper lube will kill a 4500 in short order, its what Syntorq was designed for.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Could go with the old standby. SM-465. Strong transmission, very close to the SM-420 that could have come in a '56 Chevy pickup, but GM used them from '73? until the NV-4500 came out in '90ish. No overdrive is the only hangup there. The NV-4500 will get you simmilar ratio's + an OD

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.