Stronger axle shafts for 8.2 BOP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Stronger axle shafts for 8.2 BOP

Hello!

I have a 8.2 BOP rear end which I'm about to rebuild.
Is there any stronger axle shafts available to this axle??

I've only found two axles yukon YA G8.2BOP-L and Alloy USA 17131.
Is the yukon axle shafts any good? The alloy usa seems to be just some stuck shafts..

Is it worth buying?

I already bought eaton posi dif, 3.73 ratio and overhauling kit and done the blasting and paint job, so I'm kind of stuck with it because it's not so easy to sell in Sweden (quite expensive after shipping and taxes in Sweden) and I need to get the axle in my car as soon as possible because the short seasong has just started...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

The Superior PA6062 is another option.
I think all three are OK for moderate horsepower and street tires. I have used all three of these and have no problems. They can be hard to find in stock so check around and order soon.

You can also get Moser axles for a little more money. The Moser is a nicer piece.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport
The Superior PA6062 is another option.
I think all three are OK for moderate horsepower and street tires. I have used all three of these and have no problems. They can be hard to find in stock so check around and order soon.

You can also get Moser axles for a little more money. The Moser is a nicer piece.

Thanks för sharing your experiences and showing me another axle shaft.
I've looked for a Moser shaft but I can't find any on their webpage or at any other place, do you know where to find it?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

The Moser shafts would be a custom made part. Moser will make most any axle in 2-3 days. I would email or fax them a diagram of your axles with the important dimensions. Cost is about $300/pair plus bearings, studs.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

I just completed a 8.2 rebuild

I went Summit who linked to their supplier (Moser I think--I'm not at home) They offered a racing axel that was magnafluxed for very little extra cost. I ordered and had them in around 3-4 days.

Had a ***** of a time with the pressed on wheel bearings. Very rare.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleclutch
I went Summit who linked to their supplier (Moser I think--I'm not at home) They offered a racing axel that was magnafluxed for very little extra cost. I ordered and had them in around 3-4 days.

Had a ***** of a time with the pressed on wheel bearings. Very rare.
thanks all for answering!
I can't find any better axle on summit? Are you home now so that you can check?
Moser had been the best alternative if the shipping cost to sweden wasn't 50usd more expansive than the axles themself (and in sweden I need to pay 30% taxes on both parts and shipping).
Summit have good shipping prices and I'm about to order from them anyway so it would be nice to find some axles there.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Checked the paperwork

Home Now. I ordered Summit MSR-A28CST which is a custom application for Moser. This is the alloy axle for racing.

My housing number is 13885724F for a 68-70 Buick 8.2 --10 Bolt only. My gear is a 2.93 with a ring gear is 1382741.

As previously noted, be very careful. They also needed a custom axle order filled out. My bolt circle was 5 by 4 3/4. length 29.75, stud 7/16 by 20 press in. Here's the strange part --my axle end type was for a chevy even though it wqs believed to be the original axel in the 350 Skylark. Who knows, an early failure or GM using up the last of the 8.2 supplies? As I understand it, 1970 was the last year for the 8.2.

Henry at Summit handled it. 1-800-230-3030 Good Luck.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleclutch
Home Now. I ordered Summit MSR-A28CST which is a custom application for Moser. This is the alloy axle for racing.

My housing number is 13885724F for a 68-70 Buick 8.2 --10 Bolt only. My gear is a 2.93 with a ring gear is 1382741.

As previously noted, be very careful. They also needed a custom axle order filled out. My bolt circle was 5 by 4 3/4. length 29.75, stud 7/16 by 20 press in. Here's the strange part --my axle end type was for a chevy even though it wqs believed to be the original axel in the 350 Skylark. Who knows, an early failure or GM using up the last of the 8.2 supplies? As I understand it, 1970 was the last year for the 8.2.

Henry at Summit handled it. 1-800-230-3030 Good Luck.

Wow, thanks a lot, really!
but is this with or w/o the spools? image shows with spools and info says without?

what engine are you running to the rear end? Do you know how much power the rearend can withstand with these axle shafts?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

My dad had some custom axles made by Moser for his 55 chevy rear. Great folks to deal with. Price was so reasonable, he ordered either an extra pair or an extra single....I can't remember which. If I ever need custom axles, I'm headed there 1st

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.