Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Strut rod???
Thread: Strut rod???
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

[quote]Originally posted by Dragon J:
<strong>Did a search in KB for any evidence of the relocators I mentioned and found no evidence of failure. If there is such evidence of this type of relocator failing I would appreciate seeing it... A friend has had these installed for several years and it ain't no trailer queen. I feel this type is strong and does the job well. My opinion, I guess, until I see otherwise.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The failures that were on this board were of a very popular aftermarket design that used strut rod eliminators. As far as I know, there haven't been any posts of strut rod relocator failures. Those I have seen are on cars I have personally inspected. Granted, done properly, a welded bracket is fine. 'Properly' is the operative word here - old frame material is uaually relatively thin and depending on a butt weld on a 3" wide bracket with a single gusset is a recipe for eventual failure. A more robust welded bracket on an old frame or a bracket on a new reproduction frame or rectangular tubing one is much more likely to be problem free. Again, my preference is to follow Ford engineer's lead on this and install all of their stuff.

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>