Hot Rod Forum banner

Stubborn Adhesive

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Montypierce 
#1 ·
Hi there, this is a question for anybody! My son and I are in the process of repainting his 1985 Porshe 944. Currently we are taking apart the car and repairing small rust spots. At the botton along the rocker and in front of the rear wheels Porshe applied some sort of chip resistant material. Part of it looks like major orange peel and the part near the rear wheel was smooth. We used a heat gun to soften and scrape away most of the material but the adhesive remains. We have tried 3M Adhesive remover and plain old lacquer thinner with little success. Anybody have any ideas? :confused:

#2 · (Edited)
I'm asuming your talking about the gravel guard coating and not the clear stickers....

For the gravel guard I've found useing a 8 inch grinder/sander non-DA with 36 grit to work the best on those then follow with 80.../180..prime. Just chug it through there slow so not to heat up and warp the panels...

For the stickers A heat gun followed by 180 then primer..
The Germans know how to put a car together :mwink:
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=382

#3 ·
ahhh yes!! did 2 porsches last year. a 911 and a 914. i remember the 911 and the texture finish that you are talking about. its basically what milo had refered to. its a anti chip material that is painted over. porsche just uses some nasty looking lumpy stuff thats much worse and thicker than on the average car. i used a 2" grinder with 36 grit and it came right off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.