Stubborn drums on '94 Dodge Spirit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Stubborn drums on '94 Dodge Spirit

No, it's not mine...Thank goodness

I'm doing a 4 wheel brake job on this car ('94 Dodge Spirit, in case you missed the title), and for the life of me I can not get the rear drums off. I've got the adjusters turned in (I've got next to nothing in the line of noticeable brake drag, I've sprayed the center hub with WD-40, pounded all the way around on it with a 3 lb. hammer, pried on the back of the drum and backing plate (not enough to damage anything) and repeated the whole process countless times since this car was dropped off mid-day Tuesday.

Neither side will budge and I'm at a loss for what to try next. Obviously there's no anti seize on the drum, and that isn't helping my efforts any. I have thought about using my MAPP gas torch kit, but I'm thinking I'll destroy the seals in the wheel cylinder with heat being applied that close. I'm doing this for a retired veteran with a very limited budget, so I'd like to keep it cheap for him. No extra parts if I don't absolutely need them. My labor rate on this job is probably already sitting at about $2.50 an hour and getting worse by the minute. If there's any great trick or something I'm missing, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

In a while, Chet.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 AM
OldSchool MotorHead

Wiki Edits: 0

His shoes are dug into the drums. Every time I get this, I grind off the back head off the shoe retainers. His hardware is shot by now with the twisting and wrangling. When you get the drums off, expect to need new ones from the over-worn condition, and I'd be surprised if there was any shoe left other than metal. Shoes, hardware and drums. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

Well, he had the parts (minus the drums and wheel cylinders) in the car when he dropped it off. Front calipers, discs, new shoes, hardware kit, the remainder was there. New drums, for me anyway, won't be such a big deal anymore. I've got way too much time stuck in this car that I could have been spending working on a better paying job. Besides, I can get new drums for $22 each, so it's not like he's spending a huge chunk extra. If nothing else, I could front the funds for the drums from my garage bank. He's a regular, and this is a "newer to him" car than his normal '86 Pontiac 6000 that I've kept running for years.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

In a while, Chet.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

And for the big "D'oh" moment, those drums are set up like the older front wheel drum equipped cars. I had to pull the wheel bearings, and guess what, they popped right off. Sucks to leave your brain behind....

In a while, Chet.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
And for the big "D'oh" moment, those drums are set up like the older front wheel drum equipped cars. I had to pull the wheel bearings, and guess what, they popped right off. Sucks to leave your brain behind....

In a while, Chet.
My brother fought w/ drums on his Kia, ended up getting out the wheel puller and cranked it down, drum came off, but he pulled half of the sealed bearing w/ it. then insisted to me, that he would stick it back togther and it would be ok. eventully he realised he needed a new bearing, when it would not go back togther. so it cost him $86 for the new bearing. 2 phillips headded screws hold the drum on
Old 10-27-2007, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

I guess I got lucky on the bearings and seals. Both sides for $66 total. Plus drums. But, the bearings had metal "shavings" in them. Spindles looked O.K. yet, but the inner races of the bearings looked kinda bad. I'll clean them up and get a picture that will hopefully show what I'm talking about. It's just nice to know, though that I'm not the only one who has off days. LOL

In a while, Chet
Old 10-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
It's just nice to know, though that I'm not the only one who has off days. LOL

In a while, Chet
Don't feel bad Schnitz.I walked into a long-time mechanic friends shop one day and he was going thru the same contortions with rear drum on an older pick-up. I reached down with a screwdriver and popped off the c-clips on the wheel studs and the drum almost fell off!!! BTW, I learned to look for those critters the hard way too!!
Old 10-29-2007, 03:46 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Here is what we do with the big 1 ton diesel trucks...especilly the dually.
Take off the rear wheels, soak the studs and center with penetrating oil. Then put 2-3 nuts on backwards about the full depth of thread but not against the drums.

Start the truck and put it in drive, rev it to 60+ and jamb on the brakes hard. Then put it in reverse and rev it up plenty high and again slam on the brakes. This usually only takes once but sometimes you have to do it twice.

Hopefully you internal hardware is good enough so you can at least back off the shoes.

Usually a small bump with the hammer will finish it off.

We do this with stubborn wheels too.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.