Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - stuck on 400 heads
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I certainly didn't say I didn't recognize the vett head potential. We resold the set we bought to a guy who has the OEM short block and deep dished pistons to go with the heads. While we had them,we sonic checked the runners and did in fact find all of those to be thin wall castings.You see you have to be careful about what you read vs what it really is.I am very sure about that.

Now porting.RHS during a R & D research found after all the yrs of porting they have done professionally,and their best guys,couldn't port match any better than 25% and that it was very labor intensive.Now these guys I know and they have the best of the best flow benches anyone could have. BTW-you got a flow bench at all??. You need that. They constructed the CNC programs for 5 axis porting.It produced port matches that are within 5% and cut down the labor time to 8 hrs. The shape is as important as the sizing.You really need a good understanding of air flow dynamics. But one of the things RHS said was more important than the size of the ports is the cross section of the port.They added in there are many "rated" ports out there that plainly just don't flow as advertized.I know for a fact the production Vortecs stock are about 165cc intake runners and your damm lucky if you can get them to open up to 170cc's before running into water and what's more the rough intake runners is what makes Vortec's suspend the air/fuel mixture.Smooth port them and you destroy the Vortec effect.What you can do to the production Vortecs is to clean up the exhaust port to help them out.You see there is a reason behind the 180cc and 200cc Vortecs.Here again I am very sure about this.

So unless you can match the experience level of the yrs RHS was hand porting and have a very good flow bench to check each port,you can not match their performance level of port matching 25%. You are alot less than that. If you can come up with a $250,000 CNC machine and then do a study for a number of yrs for the programing,you "might" get close to correct porting.Sorry man,but that is the plain simple truth. But these day and age,hand porting is caveman tech.

Yeah-doesn't that suck? A old guy who isn't stuck in back-in-the-day way of doing things.Die grinder madness.OMG!!

Last edited by 1Gary; 11-29-2012 at 12:21 AM.