Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - stuck on 400 heads
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64 View Post
Here's a build CHP did a while back, SBC400 w/Vortec Heads, The Impersonator 428HP/525TQ.
Chevrolet 406 Big Block - Chevy High Performance
Read between the lines in the ref.Probe pistons??Prepackaged "deals" always has to cheap out somewhere in order to meet a low retail price.The pistons are in this case low dollar.Then the heads/cam combo peaking at 5,000 is the other case where a 400's potential isn't truly capitalized.A good self respecting 400 should be able to do much better than 1.28hp/c.i.

Cam it right and put on decent aftermarket heads or even Bowtie Vortec's.Do it once right to avoid the do-over-costs.$6,000 grand??. Then rave about it??. Where does it say anything about torque plates for a finish hone??. That is critical for 400's.I don't mind the scat rods,but the Scat crank I am not a fan of. Where does it say anything about screw in rocker studs??. Did I miss that??. I did see the promotion in the first paragraph of what 4 or 5 different products.I think you guys get my point.And that is why forums like this one is around.

There isn't one fan magazine that has spine to give a bad review of parts suppliers that buy ad space.Not one.Reading trade publications gets you closer to the truth.