Stuck in gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 01:29 PM
you lift,you lose!

Wiki Edits: 0

Stuck in gear

Okay,a friend of mine sprung a leak in his clutch slave cylinder about a month ago...but instead of letting fix it then he kept procrastinating & driving the car ( a 89 Jeep Cherokee),by shutting it down at traffic lites in 1st gear,then starting it when green & "power shifting"... ...(something he's not very good at) ...Last nite he calls me saying his ride is stuck in gear ...1st to be exact...so i go & shoot WD-40 down the shift canal let it sit a while & nothing...
By this time it's late & i'm tired so i tell him i'll tow him home...i hookup,drop the drive shaft so it in "Neuteral"...& tell him to run his motor so he can utilize his power steering...so i tow him about 5 miles to his house...
My questions are...1 how much damage could he have done to the clutch in that month??? 2 obviously the slave needs to be changed & bleed, but could it be stuck due to the syncro gears being f***ed up in the shifter assembly???
I must add that i crawled under it after we got to his house & didn't smell anything that suggests a "burning" clutch...i'm asking these questions cause being the nice guy that i am, told him i'd do the work on it for him...should i change the slave & take my chances rebuilding the shift assembly??? or should i just drop the tranny & change the whole shabang being that he's clueless as to the vehical maintinance history...the guy he bought it from left no documents to that effect in it...
Thankz Kimo

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Since you say he wasn't able to even use his clutch, there is very little to worry about with it, You can't very easily burn up a clutch that never gets dis-engaged .

The clutch master cylinder and/or slave cylinder is obviously at fault for that end of the problems you describe, both can be rebuilt, but should probably both be replaced, and properly bled when new components are installed.

The locking up of the gears, that sounds like his power shifting trashed some synchronizers, and possibly did some more expensive damage to the gears in the transmission.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:53 PM
you lift,you lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
Since you say he wasn't able to even use his clutch, there is very little to worry about with it, You can't very easily burn up a clutch that never gets dis-engaged .

The clutch master cylinder and/or slave cylinder is obviously at fault for that end of the problems you describe, both can be rebuilt, but should probably both be replaced, and properly bled when new components are installed.

The locking up of the gears, that sounds like his power shifting trashed some synchronizers, and possibly did some more expensive damage to the gears in the transmission.

So you're saying the clutch might still salvageable... ...obviously th clutch master/slave has to be R&R and bleed...it sounds like you're telling me that his power shifting,(or lack there of),trashed the syncos at "best case synereo" & gears at "worst" which means droppin the tranny & installing another one...
I hate when people get stubborn & procrastinate...he coulda fixed the problem for $50-$100, free brother-2-brother labor & a case of beer when it first happened...but No, he waits till it's at it's worst then comes crying to me for help... ...now he's gotta dish out $500-$1000,a$100 free brother-2-brother labor & 2 cases of beer...and the beer i drink is $30 a case... Thankz for your help M&MCUSTOM... ...Kimo...
Old 02-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Go for 3 cases to start with, pull the clutch master and slave cylinders and pick up the rebuild kit's for both for less than $50, and start there.

There should be nothing wrong with the clutch disc, pressure plate, or flywheel, since he couldn't dis-engage the clutch it was always "IN" and not able to wear.

Locked in between gears, the synchro's are shot, almost definite gear damage, and possible shaft damage, the only way to tell is another several cases of beer and opening up the transmission.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:37 PM
you lift,you lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
Go for 3 cases to start with, pull the clutch master and slave cylinders and pick up the rebuild kit's for both for less than $50, and start there.

There should be nothing wrong with the clutch disc, pressure plate, or flywheel, since he couldn't dis-engage the clutch it was always "IN" and not able to wear.

Locked in between gears, the synchro's are shot, almost definite gear damage, and possible shaft damage, the only way to tell is another several cases of beer and opening up the transmission.

There's always option "C"...it involves myself,that 3 cases & a D9 bulldozer... ...you see where i'm going with this... Thanks again... ...Kimo... ...
Old 02-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Isn't a D9 overkill.

Make it exciting start out with the Jeep and the thought of a fireworks display first.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Hmmm... 89 Jeep....

If it were me ... I'd jack up the radiator cap, and drive a different vehicle under it!

OR

I'm not sure what part of the country you live in ... but are there any cliffs or swamps nearby?

OR

Perhaps a case of Canadian Club, a half of beef, and a pair of Stanley Cup Final game tickets.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
you lift,you lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Hmmm... 89 Jeep....

If it were me ... I'd jack up the radiator cap, and drive a different vehicle under it!

OR

I'm not sure what part of the country you live in ... but are there any cliffs or swamps nearby?

OR

Perhaps a case of Canadian Club, a half of beef, and a pair of Stanley Cup Final game tickets.

I'm in Hawaii...yes there's cliffs & swamps...i'm kinda a pyro though...
I drink Jamacian Red Stripe,i'll take a pound of poki (raw fish),& we don'thave
any professional sports teams here let alone hockey...so that's out...i would however love to be OverHauled!!! Kimo....

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.