stuck muncie - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

stuck muncie

I have a '65 stingray with i believe a m-20. out of the blue it has gotten stuck in gear, i checked the linkage and all appears to be fine . not sloppy at all and clean. I can shift thruogh all four geard but it is in reverse too at same time. if i put it in neutral and start it up with clutch in and let it out it is in reverse. regardless of which gear i put it in, it will be in both. what do i need to do?

Somebody help a frustrated new vette owner !

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Either the shifter arm or rod has fallen off the tailshaft of the trans or the reverse shift shaft or slider has come out.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 PM

all i know is it was driving fine with no issues and at a stop sign put it in neutral, and when I went to put it in gear it would only go in 3rd gear and was stuck in 3rd all the way home. (couple miles) parked it and when I was able to get under it inspected arms, spacers ext. wiggled everything and lined up the arms to what I thought was neutral and noticed that i was able to run shifter through 1-4. set it down (just had it up on 1 side so never really knew if it was in neutral) and now it is in reverse !

thanks

byrneone
Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

When they get some wear,they get bad about hangin between 2 gears.If that's the case here'sometimes you can rock the car back & forth while working with shifter & get it unstuck.It's also possible that you weren't in neutral when you set the linkage.Try go thru the proper linkage setup making sure no linkage rods are bent..Other than that as stated earlier,something has came loose inside.IDK if it really helped,but,it seem to,but,we used to put a can of STP oil treatment in them when they got bad about hanging up.If you have the short throw shifter,it's even worse about hanging up.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

I bet the ball and spring that holds the reverse link has dropped out; or the whole trans is just whipped to death. No amount of miracle in a can is going to fix it. The reverse link is in the tailhousing; so you have to pull the trans to service it. Id advise pulling it regardless and see if you can get it to shift on a bench.
You may get lucky and something is bound up, but Id say you're in for a rebuild. When you pull the trans, look at the front of the case, below the "snout" the throwout bearing rides on is a hole about 7/8th or 1" in diameter. Thats the countershaft hole. If its leaking oil from there, or someone stuffed silicone or loctite in it...the case is shot, and likely you're looking at starting over. Buy a book, take it apart and then build it right. Use a Supercase and a quality overhaul kit. Hopefully you wont need any gears but reverse. Case $295 or so, Overhaul kit $135 Reverse on mainshaft and the idler $100/set Shift forks $23ea. Buy a book and a jar of Vaseline and get to work. We'll help ya.

Note: the Vaseline is for re-assembling the gearbox, not 'getting the shaft'
Old 10-24-2013, 02:01 PM

Shifter (Muncie or Hurst)

I would not over panic yet. Before you go thru the process of yanking the transmission, disconnect the shifter linkage, inspect the threaded studs on the transmission that the linkage arms bolt to. Ensure they are in good shape. Next, set the transmission in Neutral by manually moving the threaded shafts to a straight up position on the side cover. The reverse one will move towards the rear to disengage the reverse gear. Now check and see if it is truly in neutral. If so, the problem is with your shifter and not the Transmission.

Inspect the shifter for wear. If it is the original shifter, you may want to consider installing a hurst competition plus or send that one out to a reputable outfit that can restore the original shifter to spec. If it is a hurst shifter they provide a rebuilding service that is excellent.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

I'd definitely ck a few things befor snatching it out for a rebuild,unless,you just absolutely wanna a rebuilt tranny.It could turn out to be somethin simple.I always had problems if I had to stop on a hill or incline of any type.9.9 times outta 10,it would hang up.I had the short throw Mr Gasket shifter.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrneone View Post
I can shift thruogh all four geard but it is in reverse too at same time.
ZOWIE, it has turned itself into a transbrake!!!!!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.