Stuck in neutral - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 01:31 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Stuck in neutral

I should be working in my garage on a regular basis this time of year, it's prime garage time in the Northeast. But everything is at a standstill and I have minimal ambition. In a perfect world, my two hot rods would be sold and I'd have a pile of shiney new parts for my model A project.

But the model A is outside and the garage is pretty quiet. The mustang shows no sign of selling and the T bucket needs to be put back together so I can sell it. I don't have any extra money to buy parts I need to put the T back together either. Not sure why, but my ambition level is pretty low right now.

Historically, my hobbies have been cyclical. I dive head first into them for a few years and then they fade and I move on to something else. (archery, ATV's, snowmobiles, hunting, skiing, etc.)

Is this the end of my hot rod hobby? I hope not, I have big plans for my next build, but it just seems like it will never even get started.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:

I don't know about "stuck in neutral"....but in my case it's "running on empty"..........like no money either.....It's tough times right now and we all have to watch our dough..........Things will get better, I am sure........

Budget RVs
Old 11-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
.........Things will get better, I am sure........

Do you want to bet? I've been contemplating a move to Canada....

In a while, Chet.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

When I lose ambition, (I'm not very ambitious anyway, so it ain't far to the bottom), I take a break.
Let your motivation grow for a while before you try to harvest any.

Trip over your stuff long enough and it'll come back to you.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I hear ya Arrowhead, I kind of gave up the hobby a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the cars, the sights, the sounds...but the reality is I can not afford it with the kids and mortgage etc. I sold the house with the big garage and all the parts that were rusting away in it. I still have many of the tools but most of the machinist tools were auctioned off along with the lathe.

I'm just like you, my hobbies are cyclical in nature but the rodding thing stuck for the longest (since high school). In many ways the biggest problem for me has been the cost, not just in money but also in time away from the family spent laying under a rusty heap. Having clean hands is a novelty that still hasn't worn off.

I now have only one hobby instead of two or three and the mountain biking thing is still something I enjoy, actually my three mountain bikes are worth more than any car I ever owned...so much for saving money.

I have always said that if I was going to get back into it I would buy a prebuilt race car that would fit on a small trailer kind of like the Formula Vee class at our local track. I had the most fun in the hobby competing on a track against other drivers. I still like the idea of helping other guys in the hobby hence my participation here but most of my wrenching is done at work making money instead of costing me money.

Take a breather, sell the toys and put the money in the bank...it sure is nice to have a pile of cash in the bank instead of saving up every payday just for that next part and be broke again. Take stock of the situation, you just might find a jetski or boat more fun for the time being...I'm having a blast boating around all the lakes around here looking for that big fish!

Sometimes all a person needs is some change to realize whats important in life, burning out on a hobby is nothing new. We all need a change in venue from time to time to keep us sane.

A buddy of mine from the car club took up skydiving, he says its so much fun he doesn't even think about cars anymore, another is into kite surfing...funny how all of them found another adrenaline sport to get their kicks.

Maybe thats the key, whatever keeps that adrenal gland pumping is what we crave...find something to scratch the itch.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the kind words. Don't worry, I'm not ready to start gardening or something. I just have to force myself to get my old clothes on when I get home from my day job and turn the lights on in the garage.

I think part of it is I have lots of "work" to do, and not so much creative things. I like to "build" things more than "fix" them if that makes sense. I'm so not done building things and have so many ideas in my head I can't stand it and I guess I'm just a bit frustrated.

I think it's time to make a list so I can stay on track.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 PM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

so really its more like you have all this grunt work that needs done before you get to the good stuff. you just have to picture the end results and realize nobody is going to show up and get it done for you. i really dreaded putting the quarters on my cougar. i asked around all my buddys trying to get help. well they all had pointers but no one stepped up to be hands on. i finialy said if its going to get done i'll have to do it. i just finished welding on the quarters last week and iam prepping the car for primer. i live in the cold north east too so its harder to go to the cold garage but thats the only way it will get done and my car is about 10 miles from my house. but when you get something done your enjoy that sense of accomlishment........
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Make your self a list & reasonable short term goals.

I think of it like zooming in & out .

The lists free up my brain so I don't have to think about the stupid stuff so I can concentrate on what needs to be done.

Also be thankful you have your heath ,someplace to enjoy your hobby & a Bunch O' HOTRODDERS to egg you on!

Rob

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 11-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Do something that interests you. I'm going to make a w.a.g. that your particular age has something to do with your temporary loss of interest. Like the doctor told the mother of the kid who swallowed a quarter, "This too shall pass."

I like powerrodsmike's advice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Trip over your stuff long enough and it'll come back to you.
Is there a deadline? If not, let the things sit and just walk by them now and then. Tinker when inspired.

Got any little ones around? Sometimes they spark interests and ambitions you didn't know you had.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
I just have to force myself to get my old clothes on and turn the lights on in the garage.
I am in the same mood ...

I have been messing with old cars since the early 60's. Had dirt track cars, drag cars, muscle cars and then 1932 Fords ...
been into to the 32's a ... L . O. N . G time. This 32 3W has about burnt me out.

January the 15th 2005

November 2008
I now have all the sheet metal BLACK and installed ... the rims are now RED.

All the bumpers, headlights, taillights and such are installed.
I am installing the glass now.

I have to MAKE myself go out and work on it
I am in way too deep $$$ to ever get my money back ... and I do want the coupe finished. I am just going to QUIT
... for a few months ...

I want it to LOOK basically like this ... except no cowl lights and no V8 emblem on the headlight bar.
Roy Brizo built this 32 ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I am in hiatus myself and not all that much going on outside..I think I have needed this to happen as I can save some cash and think over what I am doing..No need for a schedule in hobbies..

Sam
Old 11-20-2008, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like I'm not the only one. I guess I should mention though my mom passed away not long ago. She had alzhiemers for many years and it was a blessing that she is finally at peace. I guess I didn't realize how it effected me.

So last night I did what any middle aged man in a slump would do took a trip to Harbor Freight. Got some small supplies to wrap up a couple of projects.

I'll post a new thread on the T bucket engine modifications
Old 11-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
I guess I should mention though my mom passed away not long ago.
Sorry to hear about your loss but as you stated ... it may be a blessing. My Dad died 4 years ago @ 83 and it affected me pretty bad. He was my best friend in addition to be my father. The place I worked at required you to go to a counselor ... if you had a loss of a parent, spouse or child. They said do not make any real changes in your life for 6 months. New homes, new cars, or new relationships. I was depressed for about 6 months. My doctor even wanted to prescribe something but I refused. I still miss him and think of him often but time does have a way of healing all.

Hang tuff ... it will get better.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-20-2008, 04:40 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Just from reading your first post here; I would get your priorities in order...

You said "2 cars need to sell" , and "one needs putting together to sell".

Get busy marketing the Mustang and don't let up till it's gone. Don't even think about the T-bucket yet, because it will be negative thoughts.("oh depressed me, I need to finish it"...type of thoughts)

As soon as Mustang is gone, I'd bet you will have the desire to finish the work needed to sell the T-bucket.....because by selling the Mustang...you would be already halfway to your "goal".

Once those 2 are gone, you will be rejuvenated..
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

Look, thing might be a little slow right now....We are head deep in a depression that no-one has seen since 1929, and black Monday. money is tight, and to tell you the truth I don't see it getting much better any time soon. Of-coarse your going to have a time selling that project or two you have. But you have to say up-beat and positive. I'm sure there are a list of things you could be doing that take little if any money at all. Isn't there some parts that can be assembled, pieces arranged, some thing cleaned or painted? That makes the project more buyer friendly?

The more a project looks completed the more you get out of them.

What you are going thew is the same thing every guy went thew that listed there project on Crags list or E-bay for sale. It's those difficult blues, when funds dry up and energy levels drop. Hey, it's easy to stay up and positive when everything is going right. It's a real character builder thou to stay focused and positive when the **** hits the fan. This is what separates the true and hard core gear-heads from the others. I'm not sure where you fit in, but by reading between the lines, I think your a real gear-head and just need some pep talk? Right or wrong, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.