Stuck rag joint...need help!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Stuck rag joint...need help!!!

I have a 67 Mustang and am converting to Power Steering. I removed the steering gearbox and when I did the rag joint tore apart and the metal section left on the steering column will not budge. I tried heating it up and have some rust lubricant on it but how do I get it off. It needs pulled straight off but I'm not sure how to do it. I tried beating on it but nothing. I could probably just cut it with my grinder and a cutting wheel but I really don't want to damage any thing.

Please help.

SAM

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 12:32 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by off2wildblue
I have a 67 Mustang and am converting to Power Steering. I removed the steering gearbox and when I did the rag joint tore apart and the metal section left on the steering column will not budge. I tried heating it up and have some rust lubricant on it but how do I get it off. It needs pulled straight off but I'm not sure how to do it. I tried beating on it but nothing. I could probably just cut it with my grinder and a cutting wheel but I really don't want to damage any thing.

Please help.

SAM
Did you completely remove the bolt- and not just loosen it?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

I am talking about the part that is on the steering column shaft. I didn't see a bolt. Am I missing something. You have me paranoid and I am going to go see it I am that dense that I missed it.

SAM
Old 08-17-2010, 12:58 PM

Last photo:

No bolt. I should probably just cut through it part way on each side and beat it until it breaks in half.

What do you think?

SAM
Old 08-17-2010, 01:29 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by off2wildblue
No bolt. I should probably just cut through it part way on each side and beat it until it breaks in half.

What do you think?

SAM
Naah, don't do that- at least not yet! lol

If it's the type rag joint that has the pins- this is on the steering box end- they need to come out, IIRC. Any chance you could provide a couple photos?

EDIT- See if this link applies to you:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-coupling.html

Last edited by cobalt327; 08-17-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

Here are some pics. Sorry about the quality they are from my Iphone. The first three are of the part still on the column the last one is the other half on the gear box.

SAM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	47526   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	47527   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	47528   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	47529  
Old 08-17-2010, 02:36 PM
WFO

Last photo:

To me, it looks like the portion on the steering wheel side of the shaft is meant to remain there, the bolts would have been removed and the rag joint would separate- and the metal part attached to the shaft doesn't come off. It looks as though the repair would have simply been the flexible "rag" part, w/the remainder staying put.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:02 PM
More for Less Racer

The flange you are trying to remove from the shaft is welded on, and not supposed to come off, it is a permanent part of the steering column and it is the part that the rag joint bolts to. Just remove the bolts and bolt retainers and save them. Hopefully you didn't mangle the flange too badly that it can't be reused with a new rag joint.

The flange on the steering box is held to the steering box input shaft with a pinch bolt, remove the bolt and slide the flange off the spline. Just loosening this bolt isn't enough, there is also a hollow in the shaft for the bolt, so you have to fully remove this bolt to get the coupler off the spline.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:12 PM

Last photo:

Do you know that for sure? It looks like my other car's joint. It has groves inside of it and there is no welds to speak of. Also, the diameter of it looks too large that it would not allow you to pull the steering column out with this piece still attached.

I was going to use a gear puller to pull it off.

Here is one from the Mustangs Unlimited website:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...?T1=B052534+01

I also don't know if I can use this one for the power steering conversion. I need to measure the column diameter to see if it is 1" or 1 1/8".

Thanks,

SAM
Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

Example of a conversion kit. Notice the joint has both ends included in the kit.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...?T1=B999033+01

SAM
Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
More for Less Racer

The kit you posted links to comes with a new shaft that goes in the column, for use with the rag joint they send you with the kit. That rag joint in the kit will not fit on the stock steering column shaft.

The flange you are trying to remove IS welded to the shaft, it just isn't a big visible external weld. You have to disassemble the column to remove this shaft, it is held up into the column by the steering wheel retainer nut.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Yea, I just sent a sample kit. The one they said I need doesn't come with a column shaft. They told me that because my car has a rag joint it means it is a Late 67 with a collapsible column. They then told me that I have to get the rag joint off for the new system to work.

I am more than a little confused now.

SAM
Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
More for Less Racer

You have the rag joint off now, the flange is usually not considered part of the rag joint to most people. Do you have the new rag joint that you are going to install in-hand now so that you can compare and see what actually fits together or needs to be altered, or are you just looking at catalog pics?

Most rag joint replacement kits from an auto part store are just the rag and fasteners, washers, etc and not the actual hard parts on either side of the rag.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

If I was going to stay with manual steering I could just buy the rag portion. However, I am going to convert to power steering and the Mustang Unlimited folks say I need to remove it down to the shaft.

SAM
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

The purpose of the rag joint is to isolate road vibration from going up into the column and steering wheel.

The three parts that are shown in the Mustangs Unlimited parts image is for a 'splined' shaft. It is held on to the spline by the allen keyed bolt and locking nut to a groove notched into the spline shaft of BOTH the upper and lower shafts.

Your shaft is JUST ROUND STOCK and the portion of the rag joint is welded or cold sweated on to the shaft and pinned.

Your choices are:

1) get a splined shaft that fits the NEW rag joint which is splined,

2) use the portion of shaft (round) that is on the car now and use the other portion with the splined shaft to connect to the power steering box which has the spline shaft on it,

3) buy a power steering column which has a spline shaft and mount it to the conversion unit from Mustangs Unlimited kit that you have shown,

4) remove the existing rag joint by cutting it off, weld on a new spline joint from the conversion kit and get on with it.

Select one of the above. There is no magic cure.

Please find this help page to show you the p/s box for your 67. http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...nter_link.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering-couplers rag joint 67.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	47537  

Last edited by alittle1; 08-17-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.