Thread: Stuck valve
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 11:14 AM

Last journal entry: Stripped down the Engine Finally
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOunce
Years ago i put a 460 into a bronco and the 460 had been sitting a few years.
Ran fine at first and then it too ended up with a stuck valve. We ended up taking a quart of dextronIII poked a small hole in the dextron bottle so it worked like a squirt bottle and while the 460 was running and throttling it up some, start squirting it down the carb until the quart was gone then they owner took it out n drove it around until it stopped smoking. It no longer missed.

Are you talking about Dextron III Transmission fluid? I put an additive in there just for loosening up stuck valves and it seemed to help... but I'm thinking about pulling off the valve cover and spraying carb cleaner. I was told by a mechanic around here that might help... there seems to be a lot of ways to do this that has worked for people but i'm not very confident haha seeing as how I haven't worked on a lot of vehicles.. i'm just afraid to wreck it and then be out of luck. Would a bent push rod cause that much noise too? It just knocks like ya wouldn't believe and i know that its not like a crankshaft knock cause the engine just sounds tight. This thing has been sitting for like 7 years then they started it up with bad gas. I didn't know that they had run it on bad gasoline for a while until now.