Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Stuck valve (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/stuck-valve-162242.html)

MuscleCarGaL 07-24-2009 09:02 PM

Stuck valve
 
Hey guys I just have a quick question.. does anyone know a remedy for a stuck valve without taking it out grinding and reseating it into the head? I just bought this Ford F150 1984 and its becoming a headache. I'm not sure why it's missing I replaced the spark plug and plug wire on the one that seemed to be missing. Has good compression, most spark plugs and wires are good but there are a couple that when you pull them off while the engine is running doesn't pull the engine down a whole lot.
So if anyone knows of something that will unstick a stuck valve and advice on the miss part of it let me know!
Thank ya for your time,
MuscleCarGaL

P.S sorry to all that know me on here... i have been neglecting to put any time on here due to being busy and buying headaches such as this pickup lol

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 07-24-2009 09:14 PM

A stuck valve will usually be NOISY also. If it is a stuck valve. You can remove the valve cover. The stuck valve tip will be lower than the others. Old fashioned cure. Tap valve with a hammer. Run motor and pour kerosene/fuel oil slowly into carb. SMOKES like hell! but will loosen up stuck valve with a bit of work.

I would take a compression reading and find out if it is a valve or a blown head gasket.

HalfOunce 07-24-2009 10:24 PM

Years ago i put a 460 into a bronco and the 460 had been sitting a few years.
Ran fine at first and then it too ended up with a stuck valve. We ended up taking a quart of dextronIII poked a small hole in the dextron bottle so it worked like a squirt bottle and while the 460 was running and throttling it up some, start squirting it down the carb until the quart was gone then they owner took it out n drove it around until it stopped smoking. It no longer missed.

T-bucket23 07-25-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleCarGaL
Hey guys I just have a quick question.. does anyone know a remedy for a stuck valve without taking it out grinding and reseating it into the head? I just bought this Ford F150 1984 and its becoming a headache. I'm not sure why it's missing I replaced the spark plug and plug wire on the one that seemed to be missing. Has good compression, most spark plugs and wires are good but there are a couple that when you pull them off while the engine is running doesn't pull the engine down a whole lot.
So if anyone knows of something that will unstick a stuck valve and advice on the miss part of it let me know!
Thank ya for your time,
MuscleCarGaL

P.S sorry to all that know me on here... i have been neglecting to put any time on here due to being busy and buying headaches such as this pickup lol

if you have good compression you do not have a valve stuck open. Most likely you have a spark distribution issue

MuscleCarGaL 07-26-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalfOunce
Years ago i put a 460 into a bronco and the 460 had been sitting a few years.
Ran fine at first and then it too ended up with a stuck valve. We ended up taking a quart of dextronIII poked a small hole in the dextron bottle so it worked like a squirt bottle and while the 460 was running and throttling it up some, start squirting it down the carb until the quart was gone then they owner took it out n drove it around until it stopped smoking. It no longer missed.


Are you talking about Dextron III Transmission fluid? I put an additive in there just for loosening up stuck valves and it seemed to help... but I'm thinking about pulling off the valve cover and spraying carb cleaner. I was told by a mechanic around here that might help... there seems to be a lot of ways to do this that has worked for people but i'm not very confident haha seeing as how I haven't worked on a lot of vehicles.. i'm just afraid to wreck it and then be out of luck. Would a bent push rod cause that much noise too? It just knocks like ya wouldn't believe and i know that its not like a crankshaft knock cause the engine just sounds tight. This thing has been sitting for like 7 years then they started it up with bad gas. I didn't know that they had run it on bad gasoline for a while until now.

MuscleCarGaL 07-26-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-bucket23
if you have good compression you do not have a valve stuck open. Most likely you have a spark distribution issue

Wouldn't I have bad spark then? It seems like its got spark. Just to clear up on the compression I only checked the compression on the spark plug that seemed to be dead. Does that make a difference? haha I'm really sorry if these are common sense questions but this is all so new to me.

cobalt327 07-26-2009 11:22 AM

Stuck lifters (in the bore, not talking about lifters w/internal probs) will bend p-rods in a NY min. if the engine is cranked over before they're loosened.

Check for bent p-rods when you get the v-covers off. Then, with the eng. running, v-covers off, take an oil squirt can and fill it w/Marvel Mystery oil or ATF. Squirt/dribble oil down the p-rod onto the lifters as the engine runs, if there's still tapping coming from any of the lifters after the p-rods are corrected.

This WILL NOT harm the engine in any way, shape or form.

T-bucket23 07-26-2009 11:43 AM

I would run a compression test on all cylinders to start with. When you pull the plugs to do the compression tests pay attention to which plugs came from which cylinders. The plugs can tell a lot about the health of an engine. If any are black or wet, these are the cylinders that are probably not working properly. You can start to trouble shoot from there.

To be honest in my 40 years of working on cars/engines, with the exception of engines that sat for a long time in the weather I dont ever recall a completly stuck valve. I have seen sticky valves that oil additives would generally cure but I dont ever recall a completely stuck open valve.

Run the compression test and let us know the results.

MuscleCarGaL 07-29-2009 07:42 PM

Well I found the problem... ya know how it is to get time in the garage to work on things but i finally got a day off pulled the valve cover off and pulled out an extremely bent push rod... $1.50 later and I have a wonderful sounding engine with a decent amount of power for a little 302. The engine additive got rid of the sticky valve. I still have a headache with the transmission but thats a whole other story... its an overdrive tranny and it doesn't want to shift right. haha then i turned on the lights... no taillights... BUT... the engine sounds great :D

Thanks to ya'll who helped me out... I learned what to do and what not to do in fast order haha which is fine I wouldn't have figured it out unless I tried and had some advice.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.