Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Stuck valve covers (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/stuck-valve-covers-223146.html)

waybux13 08-21-2012 03:56 AM

Stuck valve covers

:mad: Anyone Know any tricks to remove 350 Comp Cam Chevy valve covers that appear to be glued to the valve cover gaskets?

poncho62 08-21-2012 04:20 AM

As long as all the bolts are out, pry them off

cullencombs 08-21-2012 05:06 AM

Some well placed light blows from a dead blow mallet will loosen them up.

302 Z28 08-21-2012 08:30 AM

Don't you just despise people gluing everything on?:pain:. Once when I was working as a mechanic at the local dealership I was given a recheck job that another mechanic who had quit did. It was an engine replacement that had gone bad. He had literally used the 3M Yellow weathership adhesive on everything. I had to chisel off the oil pan, timing cover, intake manifold, water pump, and valve covers. Oh and he also used the yellow snot on the distributor also.

Vince

Irelands child 08-21-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28 (Post 1584705)
Don't you just despise people gluing everything on?:pain:. Once when I was working as a mechanic at the local dealership I was given a recheck job that another mechanic who had quit did. It was an engine replacement that had gone bad. He had literally used the 3M Yellow weathership adhesive on everything. I had to chisel off the oil pan, timing cover, intake manifold, water pump, and valve covers. Oh and he also used the yellow snot on the distributor also.

Vince

If it was a Ford 'Y' block, that's about what it took to stop the always deformed valve and valley covers from leaking. Then there was that external oil pump tube:sweat::sweat:.

AutoGear 08-21-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28 (Post 1584705)

Vince

Apparently he knew he was quitting...

302 Z28 08-21-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoGear (Post 1584741)
Apparently he knew he was quitting...

That was part of the discussion at the time.

Vince

AutoGear 08-21-2012 11:49 AM

We all know 'that guy' I think.

To the OP: you can use a dead blow hammer or a piece of soft pine with a hard faced hammer; should come right off. If they're stamped covers, you may have to clamp a piece of bar stock in a vise and tap the flange flat again after you rassle em off.

1971BB427 08-21-2012 07:06 PM

You can also help some by slipping a razor blade in between the valve cover and the head wherever possible and just cutting the gasket. After that the valve cover will come off easier.