Stud welder tip. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
Stud welder tip.

This is one of the most misunderstood tools in the shop. I know I didn't understand it's use for many years after I bought mine. I burned the stud in and cut it off with the wire cutters like everyone else did. But I went to work for a guy who showed me the right way to use it. I can now literally metal finish small dings after pulling them with my stud welder.

There is no need to burn the darn stud in. In this video you will see how lightly you can weld it on and it will still do it's job pulling the metal even with some pretty hard blows on the slide hammer yet still simply come off with my bare hand. The funny thing is under the pressure of the camera I didn't even get down to as light as I usually use them. I will weld it on so a tiny push sideways will knock the pin to the floor. I c a r e f u l l y slide the slide hammer onto the stud being very careful not to move it or it will fall off, I will put the studs on that light and still pull a dent!

Check it out...

It doesn't take much at all for the stud to hang on does it! It's kinda hard to see because my finger is against the button all the time. But if you watch close you will see that my finger pushes on the bottom and releases out stretched in the same motion with the button only being depressed for a spit second, not even one second.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

wow, i was showed to really zap those things on
but that was 22 years ago
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

That is what I mean, rarely do you need to "burn them in".

Brian
Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

I couldn't believe how I've seen these things welded on around the message boards. Years ago when I saw these used in person, they did the quick tack, pull, then twist them off with pliers. 1, it's quick work. 2, the studs could be used many times. Then years later I frequent boards like this and see people welding them on like a trailer hitch. I never was in a position to correct anybody, but still wondered...
Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Another Brian tip that is hugely useful. Thanks so much man.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Like I said, it is largely misunderstood just how you need to attach the studs. You know the funny thing, the guy who showed me the trick was one of those bosses who watched every friggin thing you did and "correct" you rudely all the time. He would walk up and say "You are using the wrong tool" and I had 20 years experiance and here this guy is telling me I am wrong, who the hell does he think he is!

Well, this was one of those times when he walked up and said "I hope you know how to use that". I had owned the stud welder for over 10 years and this yahoo is asking if I know how to use it. double

He proceded to tell me even though I had said I did know. And this is what he showed me. In about two minutes he showed me what I have passed on here in this thread. I have never used my stud welder like I did after that day.

Listen to the tips people give you, try them, more than once. There are a lot of good ideas out there that even come from blow hards.

Brian
Old 12-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

tips

I always listen to tips from pro's and hobbyists. I can never learn enough. I learned the hard way about stud welding when I burned a hole in a panel I was pulling out. Thanks Brian, I wish I had read your post before that.

regards

Ron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.